Wasteful Packaging

Page 3 of 3
Lee Michaels wrote:

Yup.
And meanwhile, is the government doing anything about junk mail?
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote

Most of the mail that is used by the consumer is used to pay bills. And that function is rapidly being taken over by digital bill paying services that is offered by almost all banks now.
Lee Michaels wrote:

And meanwhile the landfills fill up with unrecyclable junk mail.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

My town recycles it, window envelopes and all.

Lucky! We have to tear the window out of the envelope and put it with the non-recyclables before placing the envelope in the re-cycled paper box.
--
Stuart Winsor

That's a good thing, Barry.. But IMHO, it would be better to generate less useless packaging in the first place..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Agreed!
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

To get rid of the really nasty stuff, it gets sent to the cement plant.
Cement kilns operate at very high temps on a sustained basis.
Here in SoCal, have at least 6 cement plants, they all process waste.
Lew
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It will be a very long time before we run out out room for trash dumps. They really are very small in comparison to other land uses. For example how big is the average NFL stadium or MLB park. You could pack a lot of garbage and trash in one. No one complains about a football or baseball stadium. I wonder why that is?
I do agree about the packaging though. I have a hole in my hand from where the knife slipped when I was trying to open a plastic package. It still hurts.
Dave

Buy a kid a small toy and spend 10 minutes cutting away the packaging...
Buy a part and it comes in a cardboard box with packing material inside to protect a metal part in plastic armor.. What a waste.. Wrap the sucker in yesterdays newspaper and put it in a small box..
When we moved a couple of years ago, I sent about a dozen new, unused "blow molded" tool cases to the recyclers... Does anyone that uses the tools ever put them back in the case, unless they're using them out of the shop?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Take a look at the prices of the ubiquitous 2-1/4 hp router kits with fixed and plunge bases, two collets, wrench(es), maybe even a starter set of 1/4" bits or other accessories, and of course a giant case to hold it all. Then price out just getting a replacement motor, which will cost more. Which just tells you the competition is keeping the margins down on the kits.
-Kevin