Wasp sting

Lost the use of my left hand due to a red wasp sting. My left hand is now swollen. Amazing how important it is to have use of BOTH hands when woodworking. Ice packs and antihistamine are helping the pain and itching. The antihistamine puts me to sleep, that's good. I'll be fine and back in business in a few days, good thing this is not permanent. Made me realize the importance of hands with woodworking.

Reply to
Phisherman

I find it's always preferable to wear heavy gloves when I get into firewood and into my stacked lumber in winter: the wasp queens love to hibernate in there. Typically in spring (i.i. NOW for me) I have to kill half a dozen yellow wasp queens that crept into my woodshop in autumn and can't find their way back out ...

That's one animal I really enjoy squashing: 5000 wasps in one crunch!

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

I HATE those things. Riding my dirt bike through the bush, one got inside my full-face helmet. Right in the corner of the eyeball.

30 miles from the nearest anything. Hurt even more than a 2" oak sliver under the index finger nail. Or that time I took a dump, hung my butt over a log in the forest, with my balls right in a bear trap. Did that hurt? Yes it did...but not as bad as it did when I reached the end of the chain. Okay... made that last bit up...
Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Or that time I took a dump, hung my butt over a log in the forest, with my balls right in a bear trap. Did that hurt? Yes it did...but not as bad as it did when I reached the end of the chain. Okay... made that last bit up... ====================================

I am sorry to hear..... that you made the last one up.

Speaking of stings from flying insects, did you hear about this inept thief?

Sheriff's deputies in Faulkner County, Ark., responded to a residence on Billy Goat Mountain on a report that a man riding an ATV had stolen various items from a shed. When the resident confronted the burglar, he fled -- and crashed the ATV into a bee hive. The burglar then abandoned the ATV and set off into the woods on foot. Deputies found a stolen tractor nearby: it had apparently been the burglar's first vehicle, but the thief had gotten it stuck between two trees. The ATV also turned out to have been stolen. Deputies found the man nearby, lying unconscious, foaming at the mouth, and barely breathing after being stung by 50-100 bees. After hospital treatment Rickey Dale Ford, 46, who lives on Nanny Goat Lane, was booked on multiple felony theft counts.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Can't be too careful with those little buggers. My wife had never had a problem with bee stings until abut 5 years ago. We were parking our trailer in a Arkansas campground when she go nailed while opening the electrical hookup panel. Stung her on the back of the hand and within

10-15 minutes here hand was badly swollen and she was feeling a little woozy. Luckily no respiratory problems. She took a binadryl and things started to improve quickly. Now, at her doctor's recommendation, she carries them all of the time.
Reply to
RonB

When my wife gets stung, as she did last month, it's inject the Epi-pen and head for the emergency room. When one stings me, as it did last year, I get a mosquito bite size bump. Sound's like you're in between.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Wasps are such nasty litttle buggers.

Looks like you will be catching up on your sleep the next few days.

Take care.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So far I've been lucky enough to get an "ouch, #$%^&*( wasp", but I realize that that may change at any time.

Reply to
J. Clarke