"Wash" staining help

Greetings,
My SWMBO wants me to build a headboard for our bed and wants a blue "washed" stain finish, something I've not done before. I'm not sure of the technique but I'm probably gonna get online and check into it or get advice from Lowe's or Sherwin Willy's. If anyone here has any tips on here, I'd sure be grateful.
My primary question is, though, what kinda wood to use? Pine? Poplar, Maple? I assume I need a light-colored wood and that it would need to be thoroughly sanded so that the blue doesn't make sander marks show up.
Any clues?
Thanks in advance, you guys are always great.
Will H
Might also look at www.homesteadfinishing.com and search for likely words. If nothing pops up go to one of the forums and ask Jeff Jewitt.

here's what I'd do:
1) get her to show you an example of what she's thinking of. take note of what wood, what color of blue, whether there are other colors under the blue, etc.
2)take pictures and post them to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
3) repost the question here.
My first thought is, make the bed, and tell her the rest is up to her.
You want to paint maple? Better use cherry instead.
Technique? Only interior decorators have "technique". But, "washed" should give you a clue. On one of my projects, I needed a tarnished copper look, sort of greenish, on wood, with a pattern on it, and it needed to let the pattern detail show thru. I suppose you could call that "washed". Mixed up some latex to a color that looked about right, thinned it way down with water, and brushed it on. Perfect. Not actually a stain, but thinned out enough that it looks like one.
I'm figuing you'll want some type of finish coat over that. So, if it was me, I'd get some small pieces of whatever wood I was gonna pain on, mix up some small dabs of paint, until I got something the ex (oops, wife) liked. Then I'd try the finish of choice on that, and see if she still liked it. Lately I've been using water-base poly, and that's working well for me. I'd also make damn sure I took careful notes on the proportions I used, so when I mixed up enough for the whole bed, I'd have the same mixture, only more. Might help to get it in writing from her, that she agrees that's what she wants - for later when she gets tired of it, and tries to say you got the color wrong.
Of course, if it's only a small bed, you could always just get some bottles of food coloring in the store, and thin them down a bit.
JOAT If you're offered free wood, take it, period; figure out what to use it for later. - JOAT
google "pickling" can be used for any color
(wch) starts

Mon, May 31, 2004, 8:33pm epearlatprexardotcom (fsteddie) dumps out: google "pickling" can be used for any color
That's about dumb. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&c2coff=1&q=%22pickling%22
I'm not who asked, so no reason to respond to my post. Try responding to the appropriate post, next time. You need to learn how to snip too.
JOAT If you're offered free wood, take it, period; figure out what to use it for later. - JOAT
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) writes:

http://www.google.com/search?q=pickling+faux or http://www.google.com/search?q=pickling+paint
Yields much better results and will get Will on the road to finding techniques and pictures that SWMBO can use to paint her own darn bed. ;)
--
be safe.
flip

"washed"