Was that the Wood Muse blowing in my ear or did a passing fly just fart?

I think I'm going for a floor-standing display cabinet which SWMBO has always wanted to display her doll collection. I'm thinking a modified pentangle shape with a flat back, two glass sides at 90 degrees to the back and then two glass doors (and I'll figure out the appropriate angle for those at some point but maybe 60 or so?). Since she likes dark wood I'll have to go with utili or dye the hell out of something lighter. And it will cost a fortune for glass unless I can steal a few windows from my neighbor who is on vacation. Any general tips from anyone before I begin?

Wish me luck!

FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes

Reply to
FoggyTown

Why not make it from walnut or mahogany and make the wife extra happy? A typical display case doesn't have all that much visible wood, you can use stained poplar or maple for hidden parts. Work out the design in MDF to cut back the waste even more.

Reply to
B A R R Y

glass can be had at lots of places for cheap if your willing to cut it yourself. Otherwise try an auto glass place I've had them do several jobs cheaper that I could cut it for myself.

Reply to
HotRdd

Come on - she deserves the best. Forget the angles and go for curved glass.

I have an antique semi-circular curio cabinet - Flat back, 2 curved glass side-panels and a less curved glass panel door. Almost exactly like this:

'll be really impressed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03