Was Ryobi always junk?

According to the guys at Sears Hardware, Crapsman power tools are actually Ryobi incognito - so that should tell ya somethin'...

I prefer Milwaukee & Porter Cable mahself...

Reply to
DamnYankee

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:04:44 GMT, "toller" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ryobi sells power. But they are as you say, pretty tinny. I have a 9" circ saw that is powerful and tinny. I have a I had a weed whacker that was powerful and the fuel lines fell to pieces, the carb went, it was a bitch to start, the fuel tank cracked. And this thing was _not_ left in the sun.

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

I don't think is the general rule. I have a friend who bought a Ryobi 10" CMS years ago and built his two story 3000 Square foot house and used 2x6 studs and every one had to be cut to length. He proceeded to build a three car garage and large workshed for himself, a two car garage for me and another for someone else. Last time I was there, that saw was just beginning to lose its break but still cut square and like a champ.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

When I worked at Sears hardware about 15 years ago, there were several "manufacturers" of Craftsman power tools. Ryobi/B&D/Skil, etc....Y'know, the same stuff they sell under their own name, and is great for Joe 6Pack who gets 'em to build a shed for the kid's bikes. They started IIRC around that time with the "Professional" line - Milwaukee/DeWalt/Makita, if memory serves. Perfect for the "guy who can build anything, he just doesn't do it for a living"

Just to get it in print(I haven't seen it lately)

The hand tools have the lifetime warranty power tools normally carry(ied) a 1 year warranty(but you could buy the "extended warranty"--purely profit most of the time). Pros were not eligible for either one(Commercial use, and all that) My buddy Mike came up with the SEARS acronym:

SEARS: Serious Errors Associated with Retail Services

You say that like someone(who has the money, need, tool knowledge) doesn't

Reply to
David G. Sizemore

I have a Ryobi BT3100 Sliding Miter Table Saw and am quite please with its accruacy and versatility. Ryobi tends to provide cheaper tools but their upscale ones ae fine.

Nice thing about it and Sears is that you can always get parts for both from Sears. I have kept some tools (drils, routers, compressors) runing for 25 years or more that way. Some of the innovations on Sears tools are great though some aren't I really miss the micro adjustment I had on my 1/4" sears router I bought in 1975. Neither my Freud or DeWalt have that.

I also have a 1953 model Shopsmith that still works like a champ thanks to the company still having parts available for that model.

I have just purhased a top of the line Hitachi 18v Drill-Driver and Hitachi Circular Saw for my latest project an 30' x 34' x 16' shed. Better price than anyone else for both features and capability. My Skil saw and Black and Decker Pro series driver busted on me and parts are not available for either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mellenthin

I have a Ryobi BT3000 Sliding Miter Table Saw, the model before yours. I broke the "quick stop" while cutting sheets of plywood and I can't get the part through Ryobi. I tried Sears, but it's not available there either. Its a great saw, excellent condition, rarely used. Now I have to replace the whole saw because a $1.00 part is no longer available.

You know what, I think its the same part as on the BT3100! Hope you don't break yours.

Nigel.

Reply to
Nigel Hanson

I'm not sure what you mean by quickstop. Are you talking about the stop to set the miter gage to 90 degrees or something else?

Have you tried BT3Central.com? There are lots of guys there who can help with parts and repairs or maybe even buy your unit for salvage if it comnes to that. There are also a lot of items for sale on Ebay.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mellenthin

Reply to
djcwr

This was when Emerson was getting away from the benchtop stuff, don't remember who was building that.

Reply to
David G. Sizemore

Sear had a jig saw that was identical to my Bosch that I bought a couple of years ago before they put out their latest top handle model. I compared them side by side, and I could tell no difference.

Reply to
Mapdude

Yes, that's the part I mean. Its really just a washer with a tab and it flips up to stop the miter gauge at 90 degrees.

I placed an order through the Canada parts distributor and was told the part was on back order expected Sept 26 delivery at a price of $26 (Canadian). Still don't have the part. Contacted Sears - they sell the part for $1 but no longer stock it and say it's no longer available. Contacted Ryobi directly, and they tried to sell me a whole sliding table.

I'll try BT3Central.com next. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Reply to
Nigel Hanson

Royobi Corp has bought Milwaukee. I shudder at the future.

Rob

Reply to
Sandman

I love my Royobi ROS but it's the only Royobi I own, it preforms every bit as good as my friends Dewalt, I've used it fairly heavily for 2-3 years and at $20 (it was a refurb) how may years would the Dewalt have to last to make up the price diff?

Reply to
Richard Clements

I have the Ryobi BT3100 table saw and I am crazy about it. It is the most accurate and customizable table saw I've ever used, and I've never had any problems with it. I also have the Ryobi 3 Base router kit from HD which I have been pleased with, especially for the price- $129.

I'm also especially impressed with Ryobi because they have gotten out of the industry practice of price gouging on replacement batteries. Their new line of 18v tools all use the same battery, and replacements are available for $39 for TWO new batteries. I believe they have also pledged to keep the same battery format for any new 18v tool they bring out.

Ryobi tools are certainly not built for professional use. They are good tools at a great value for weekend woodworkers, however.

Disclosure- I am not affiliated in any way with Ryobi.

Reply to
Chuck

So Ryobi doing what everyone else has been doing for 10 years is somehow new? Any decent brand has standardized on battery connector for the same voltage across all their tools. My 9 year old Makita drill battery will plug in the same drill I bought my father last year as will it plug into my father in laws makita drill he has had for longer than I. All the other tools I have bought use the same ones as well. This is one example, the other brands do the same. The only brands that haven't done this up until now have been ryobi and sears and the other toy tools.

Reply to
Eugene

Show me another tool company that will sell you TWO 18v batteries for anywhere near $39.

Reply to
Chuck

I wasn't disputing the price, I was asking how a feature that other companies have had for many years could be considered a new idea. But since you mention it comparing batteries just can't compare the voltage. an AAA and a D cell are both 1.5V but the D will last longer than the AAA with a load. What is the mA/H rating of those Ryobi batteries, what is the MTBF of those batteries?

Reply to
Eugene

That's a good price, but I'd like to know there's good cells inside the pack. Any company could make a cheap pack if they use junk cells.

Reply to
Lazarus Long