was gonna buy it but shipping was just outrageous...

Page 1 of 3
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0504
:)
What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?
Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further away from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200 stuff, now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.
I gave this one a close look too, but there was no dust collector port. A definite "show stopper" for me.
P.

Paul in MN wrote:

Yeah there is, it's 4".
Get your checkbook out.

Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:05:44 -0500, Silvan

Wonder how long it will be before Norm has one in his shop... :-)

I sent mine back... It kept crushing my ShopFox mobile base.
-Brian

LOL! SH
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:05:44 -0500, Silvan

If you can buy that, shipped for $750, what are we wating for? <G>
"Ship anywhere within 48 states for $753.00!"

Oh....that _is_ the shipping......

For that kind of money, I think I'd get a Wood-Mizer instead. It's portable, too...
Doug Miller wrote:

I would expect that you could do about 5 ops with that one before you finish one with the wood mizer. OTOH, I think the wood-mizer is gonna handle still-in-the-bark quite a bit better; this looks more like a machine that really is more for re-sawing, not for rough milling of logs. Of course, I could be on crack.
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:50:50 -0500, Paul Kierstead

I use a Wood-mizer a fair bit. I've always been pleased by how useful it was as a "workshop" resaw, not just out in the woods.
If the Wood-mizer is already set up on site, you could do one re-saw in around the same time as a handful of operations with the Grizzly. But this isn't important, because the "overhead" time still dominates the "per-board" time. Only if you start getting to over a dozen repeats would I start to see the Grizzly's admitted efficiency being significant.
The Wood-mizer is also a moving saw on a stationary bed. For lots of work on rough boards, or for quartering turning logs, this is faster to set up than a fixed saw with a transport. For timber framing work where the timbers are simply too big for a carriage (megabudgets apart), then the moving saw is your only option.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Good point. Seems to be true of a lot of woodworking machines; often, if you are making one-offs, seems a lot more time is spend adjusting, setting up and making test cuts with the big machines. One of the things driving me to be a hybrid neander.
Paul Kierstead wrote:

A hybrid neander. I'm going to steal that, so you'd better go file a copyright or patent application or something. :) That's a great way of putting it.
Is there a bench-top version? I just don't have any more floor space in my shop.
Silvan wrote:

Well, ya got a cheap car is all. Pretty cool! I like the return conveyor; very nice touch. Shipping is a pretty good deal considering and all.
PK
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:48:05 -0500, Paul Kierstead

hell, I've bought cars that were less than the $220 blade for that monster..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Paul Kierstead wrote:

the the shop might cost as much again. Then there's the problem of clearing a space big enough to set the box, let alone assemble the pieces to make it work. And my home made trusses aren't strong enough to lift it out of the way to cut a full sheet on the tablesaw. Not that I have that kind of room now:-) Joe
I saw this in the latest Grizzly tome that arrived yesterday. I was kinda chuckling when I read that the president of Grizzly used THIS VERY MACHINE to cut curly Koa into thin 0.200" slices. It IS impressive that the machine can do that consistently and all, but the line that made me laugh was "and he even got 3 more slices than he would have with a regular bandsaw" hehe.
I think I'll stick to tools that don't require a crane to get them off the truck.
Mike

driver couldn't get the crates down the basement stairs. :-(
Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net