Warped top advice

My son is refinishing a blanket chest he made in HS shop. The 18.5 inch pine top, composed of two wide boards edge glued, has warped significantly over the years. I am suggesting ripping it in half to fit 13" planer, plane flat, reglue with biscuits, and breadboard the ends. He just wishes to try to sand, moisten, flatten with weight, and refinish. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Having a shop teacher that knew something about woodworking is no longer an option ;) Neither is having a son who would listen to his father ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry McCaffrey

JGS

You could glue-and-screw a couple of battens to the under-side. Some nice white oak, or, if you're pulling out something that's really warped, commmission some decorative ironwork.

Bill

Reply to
Bill McNutt