Warped top advice

My son is refinishing a blanket chest he made in HS shop. The 18.5 inch pine top, composed of two wide boards edge glued, has warped significantly over the years. I am suggesting ripping it in half to fit 13" planer, plane flat, reglue with biscuits, and breadboard the ends. He just wishes to try to sand, moisten, flatten with weight, and refinish. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Having a shop teacher that knew something about woodworking is no longer an option ;) Neither is having a son who would listen to his father ;)
Jerry
Hi Jerry, If this is not a seasonal thing caused by humidity changes in the room allowing the top surface of the top to absorb and release moisture at a rate different than the inside surface, then it sounds to me as if the boards we not properly dried to begin with and now they are. If this is the case the top will eventually return to it's current state if you go the moisten /flatten route. IMHO it's time to remake the top. Cheers, JG
Jerry McCaffrey wrote:

You could glue-and-screw a couple of battens to the under-side. Some nice white oak, or, if you're pulling out something that's really warped, commmission some decorative ironwork.
Bill