warning worth repeating

Page 2 of 4  

George wrote:

Uh, that creates the possibility of a child being locked in the trunk. Like when playing hide-and seek or being stuffed into the trunk by playmates or siblings.
In that regard the worst kind of lock is the sort that automatically locks when the lid closes.
--

FF


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Oh, learn something once in a while Fred.
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/kids-equipment/clippasafe-cupboard-locks-pack-of-6/
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

I don't see how those could be used to keep a kid out of a trunk or chest.
--

FF


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thu, Feb 2, 2006, 9:32am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net obtusely states: <snip> I don't see how those could be used to keep a kid out of a trunkor chest.
Because, as you know, it was posted in response to a comment about a kitchen cabinet, under the sink.
However, I've found the little plastic ones aren't good. They work, but my kids were able to open the door anyway, after watching once or twice, and trying on their own a very few times. I've found the flat, stainless steel type, are very much better. In fact I don't recall my kids getting past thosw ehen they were small at all.
I'm not about to look up a link, and this is as good a description as you're gonna get. It's a flat piece of stainless steel, about 1 1/2" wide and about 6' long. It's bent at one end, maybe 2', with a couple of screw holes. The other end had one larger hold. This is what the catch slips into. The catch is fastened on the bottom of the top (if that makes sense), and it seems it was a large headed screw. When you shut the cabinet, the catch (screw) slips into the hold. Then when the door opens, it's held by the catch, to about 2" open. You've got to push the door in just a bit, and push the latch down, clearing the catch (scres), and then you can open the door. Too far, and the screw hangs on the other edge of the hole. Not rocket science, but beyong a little kid. The plastic ones, basically, all you have to do is pull down on it, and viola, the door can open - not problem for a kid to do that. That's as much as you're gonna get.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J T wrote:

But as you inow, didn't comment on a kitchen cabinet under a sink. I commented on locking a trunk or chest the same way you would lock a cabinet under a kitchen sink.
Those latches ( the SS ones you describe) sound good for their intended purpose but do not seem to be adaptable to a trunk or a chest so my comment still stands, that a trunk or chest with a lid that automatically locks when closed presents a suffocation risk for child who may climb inside.
--

FF


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Conceptually challenged, I think.
The lid must be lifted and the locks disengaged (they make right angle or straight ahead) before it can be totally lifted. Put two on your chest lid, far enough apart, and the kid won't be able to manage the coordinated effort required.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thu, Feb 2, 2006, 4:29pm George@least (George) doth mumble: <snip> The lid must be lifted and the locks disengaged (they make rightangle or straight ahead) before it can be totally lifted. Put two on your chest lid, far enough apart, and the kid won't be able to manage the coordinated effort required.
Sounds reasonable. However. Two latches, two kids - chest open. One, or both, climbe in, lid closes, bad news.
I don't believe in any ANY type of automatic lock or latch on anything a kid is going to be around, and could be trapped in. At least not a chest - things like cabinet doors, it could be appropriate to have them; and, as long as there wasn't anthing in there that could hurt the kid, might teach him/her a lesson. - as long as it wasnt airtight, that is.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

OK, I was thinking that if the kid was tall enough to lift the lid he would be able to reach and disengage the clip. To clips far enough apart would present a tougher problem.
Actually, aren't most toddlers tall enough to reach the clip on the door under a kitchen cabinet? Surely many or most will be smart enough to figure it out. When my little brother was still crawling he realized that if you put a key in a hole in the wall and turn it the wall opens up. Then he found out that doesn't work on electrical outlets and wasn't allowed to play with keys any more.
--

FF


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

No lid on a toy chest, or sliding doors are great ideas.
If you do really good work the chest will outlive you and the people for whom it was built. So a solution that eliminates the hazard for children and is acceptable for adults is ideal. I like your the idea of simply setting a top on the chest, no hinges, no latches.
Personally, remembering the episode of Dragnet where Sgt Joe Friday read a junkyard owner the riot act (actually he quoted the applicable California code and section from memory) about the requirement to remove the latch from an old refrigerator, except for shipping trunks, I would not put a lock or latch on any chest or trunk big enough for a child to hide in. Cabinets tend not to be airtight.
--

FF


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Man, how did humanity ever survive 15 centuries of chests with locking lids?
scott
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Scott, there's something seriously wrong with you posting remarks like this regarding a subject like this. grow up.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 31 Jan 2006 14:50:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with you posting such news without reference. This would definitely have hit the newspaper or the radio/TV. Can you give a reference please; either newspaper, radio station, or TV station that carried this story? I've looked around, but could see nothing as yet.
I made a toy box for my granddaughter some time back, and it has slow-closing hinges. So the message is a good one. I simply like to see references when such tales are spread.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 7:12pm snipped-for-privacy@here.com (Guesswho) doth sayeth: There is something seriously wrong with you posting such news without reference. This would definitely have hit the newspaper or the radio/TV. <snip>
I'd also be very interesting in the results of the investigation into this.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 2:50pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth accuse: Scott, there's something seriously wrong with you posting remarks like this regarding a subject like this. grow up.
I take it he was a bit too blunt for you?
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 2:50pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth burble: Scott, there's something seriously wrong with you posting remarks like this regarding a subject like this. grow up.
I disagree.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
writes:

The same way we survived without antibiotics and cars without seatbelts and vaccinations and ... well you get the picture. We survived by people having 5 children because 2 of them were going to die from one thing or another prior to childbearing age.
todd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 6:30pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (todd) avers: The same way we survived without antibiotics and cars without seatbelts and vaccinations and ... well you get the picture. We survived by people having 5 children because 2 of them were going to die from one thing or another prior to childbearing age.
However, I believe there were more that died of disease and illness than from accidents.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I'm disappointed to say the least to see the comments by JT and others on this. The story being true or not has no real bearing on the OP's suggestion. The point is to attempt to provide a safe environment for our children. A man of JT's age should know from experience children do not always do as told, and they cannot be watched 24x7. In fact his own statements support the fact he didn't watch them every moment (looked in on them to make sure they were sleeping) and had to discipline them because they didn't listen. Any one of those events could have led to the result in the OP's story. It only takes 30 seconds of inattention for something tragic to happen. I almost lost a son to drowning in that amount of time. I was fortunate, but it cured me of the sin of saying things like "why weren't they watching them?".
You should know better.
-Jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wed, Feb 1, 2006, 10:01am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jtpr) sayeth: <snip>You should know better. Who should? The point it probably best stated by Mike Marlow's post.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Some didn't, which ist he point here.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.