warning worth repeating

Page 1 of 4

I know everyone here knows how important it is to use hydrolic hinges on the lids of chests but....I just had to write this. This weekend my neighbor's 2 year old granddaughter was knocked unconcious and suffocated. I'm writing this to ask you to think about your families, friends, neighbors, babysitters,,,that have chests in their homes and remind them to have hydrolic hinges on them. I realized myself after this accident that I have an antique steamer trunk in my basement. I now have an excuse to get rid of the junk stored in it and the trunk can go on the slabwood pile for all I care. Jana
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sorry to hear that. With this in mind Ill be sure to add one to the cedar chest in our basement when I reattach the lid.
--
Thank you,

I realize having the lid unattached would keep a child from being locked inside only if the child intentionally crawled in it but I think you should put "fixing" it with the hinges on your list. I wasn't completely clear in my discription. I believe Chelsey's head was caught in the lid so she would have technically been strangled. I guess, as a mother, the word suffocation is possibly less gut wrenching to write rather than strangled....I just think having enough hinges on them so you actually have to push the lid down to close it (and it should never lock) would be the best solution. I also like Brian's ideas of the air holes. I just mainly wrote this because if something like this has to happen, a lesson should come from it.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

You mean the lesson about leaving 2 year old children unattended?
scott
writes:

I'm guessing you have no children. Because if you do and you're telling me prior to the age of 3 they have *never* been out of sight of an adult, I'm telling you I don't buy it.
todd
Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 6:25pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (todd) doth sayeth: I'm guessing you have no children. Because if you do and you're telling me prior to the age of 3 they have *never* been out of sight of an adult, I'm telling you I don't buy it.
I've got kids - grown now. We always kept an ey on them, when we could. We also learned very early, to listen, when they weren't in eyesight. If the kid is quiet, check, because more than likely, the kid is getting into trouble. That was always called "keeping an eye on your kids". Your dreaming if you expect to keep them from getting hurt; but, hopefully, you can keep them from getting killed.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Actually JOAT, a child or person who is drowning or choking makes no noise at all. Is that too blunt?
Wed, Feb 1, 2006, 8:23am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com burbles: Actually JOAT, a child or person who is drowning or choking makes no noise at all. Is that too blunt?
So? That just reinforces my point. If you can't hear the kid, that's the time to check on them.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That's consistent with "If you can't hear them, they're getting into trouble"
On 1 Feb 2006 08:23:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

might be why he said to check on them if they're too quiet... Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm

All mom had to do was go pee and the kid could get into trouble. Happens under the best of circumstances. Thee are many other scenarios with a 2yo for getting into a bad situation in seconds. I hope it never happens to your kids.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, Little ones are like greased lightening. Blink and they're into no good or somewhere they shouldn't. Lot's of things in life shouldn't happen, but they do. As my Dad says " Better to be wrong and alive than dead and right" regards John
Wed, Feb 1, 2006, 2:45am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JohnB) sayeth: Yep, Little ones are like greased lightening. Blink and they're into no good or somewhere they shouldn't. Lot's of things in life shouldn't happen, but they do. As my Dad says " Better to be wrong and alive than dead and right" regards
Never heard that one before. Yep, you do the best you can, and hope it's enough.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
J T wrote:

Probably because there are fewer examples of people who died becasue they were right or lived because they were wrong are a bit scarcer than vice-versa, politics excluded.
--

FF

writes: ... : > : : You mean the lesson about leaving 2 year old children unattended? : : scott
Scott, you are the epitomy of rude, crude bad taste and may you burn in hell for your intentional and purposeful ignorance. It takes all kinds to make the world whirl 'round, but we could do without your kind. You are supremely stupid and impotent.
Feb 1, 2006, 2:28am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@devnull.spamcop.net (Pop) rudely sayeth: Scott, you are the epitomy of rude, crude bad taste and may you burn in hell for your intentional and purposeful ignorance. It takes all kinds to make the world whirl 'round, but we could do without your kind. You are supremely stupid and impotent.
Impotent? And, epitomy?
The younger the kid, the more attendance they need. Some people learn the hard way. Scott didn't say anything probably most of us aren't thinking. I feel about the same, just sai it with more words than him.
Scott, apparently you need to pretty it up for the more delicate types in the group next time.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
As a father of 8 (one is 3, two are infants), this kind of stuff scares the daylights out of me. In addition to the slow-close hinges, the bottom of the trunk or chest needs to have holes or some other way for air to circulate. Maybe it's a good idea for the lid to have stand-offs or something to keep a 1/2" gap between the box and the lid at all times.
brian

The top is for adults. I wouldn't bother with one for the purpose of holding toys out of the middle of the floor. Pneumatics, hydraulics and springs fail as well. Is the sight of those toys so disturbing that you'd risk a kid? Not me. Add a lid after the kid's grown or use a temporary table top that stores behind if you need the thing as furniture.
I meant blanket chests and the like.
brian

Locks. The kind you should have on that cabinet full of poisons under the sink.