WARNING to NAV users

LiveUpdate caused my system to hang on boot up.
I ran LiveUpdate and let it update my virus and program files for Norton AntiVirus. After rebooting to complete the update, my system (WIN98SE) hangs trying to install MS Office shortcut bar. Killing Ccapp (using ctrl-alt-del) allows booting to proceed, however internet access is nonfunctional and NAV fails to load.
I had to disable Ccapp from loading at bootup in order to get a usable system to boot. But still no NAV.
Customer support from Symantec is pending. Help from any of you will be quite welcome.
You may want to reconsider updating your NAV program files until this gets sorted out. I'll post the resolution when it happens.
Art
Some times Symantec's updates dont work well... I personally use GoBack and undo the update. Because I know that it is usually a Symantec problem I know that they are going to be hearing form the millions of users. I wait a couple of days to update again and the problem has usually been fixed.
I've stopped buying Symantec's products. I have the feeling that they believe that the purpose for my computer is for their software to have a place to run. I don't like the way their products seem to seize my machine at some of the most inopportune times.
There are other options out there.
Phil
Leon wrote:

I really don't have any problems other than the updates, and that is only once a year or so. The product does what I want it to do. But since Symantec purchased the array of Norton programs the quality and originality seems to be on the back burner.

No problems on the small business networks I maintain and my home network. XP home & pro, 2k, 98, 98SE machines are all mixed in between the three networks, one has a live update server.
Good luck getting it straightened out.
Barry
If it has been 5 days or less, go to a DOS prompt and type
scanreg /restore
This will get you back to the registry before your problems.
Some years ago I had to dump McAfee because it locked up my machine. Now I'm using NAV without any problems. I guess it depends on your machine and what you are running. You could try AVG--it's very good and free!
Mee too. Since installing NAV I have occasional hangs on startup. Hmmmm.
John
Wood Butcher wrote:

When you get to the point where you've absolutely, positively had it with NAV, consider Panda. It's an industrial-strength European antivirus program that upgrades itself automatically and updates its virus files continually. I've been using Panda Titanium for a year and a half and have had no problems whatsoever. And no, I don't own stock in the company. http://www.pandasoftware.com /
I was a big fan of Norton products back in the DOS and early Windows era, but starting with SystemWorks version 3 I had nothing but headaches. The program interfered with everything. When I finally dumped it, it took a full weekend to get rid of all the bits and pieces it had planted. -- Ernie

You may or may not already have a parasite/hijack/dialer blocker, something neither of those products do. If not, here is a world class free program. If you down load it, make sure you update before running.
http://security.kolla.de /
Another excellent free program is to replace the host file, stops the pop ups/unders and blocks 3rd party advertising.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm also download the Renhosts.bat file, at the same link, short cut to your desktop to turn off/on.