wanted, project for a young woodworker

I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make something for his mother for Christmas,
Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make? I don't need plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I have the idea.
Mekon

How about a clock? As long as you could find the mechanical clockworks, it's a simple useful project that would involve a variety of tasks. (If you have a wood burner you could even put the numbers on with that.)
Puckdropper

How about a jewelry box like this one?
http://plansnow.com/jewelry.html
My grand daughter made a napkin holder for her mother this year.
Thom

the
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:54:43 +0000, Mekon wrote:

Simple stupid little box with a drop on lid, maybe 3x5x1-1/4 inches. That size there's no need to get fancy on the joinery. Make up or buy some quarter inch stock for him. Little longer, little wider, little taller won't make any difference--3 inches fits on a medicine cabinet shelf nicely though--nice size box for hair ties and the like. Kind of thing that she'll actually find a use for rather than putting on a shelf somewhere and having to dust. Small enough that if he botches it and wrecks a piece of teak or rosewood you won't cry over it (even with waste there should be less than half a board foot in it). Oil and wax finish should be fine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

A carved kitchen wood spoon......You would have to cut and mostly carve but he could help carve some and sand like crazy and put on the mineral oil.......I just made one from curly maple (very pretty) and one from alder...each took nearly 3 hours but I'm sure the next 4 will go much faster<G>....Rod
The key here is 8 years old. Every mom needs a step stool to reach that top shelf. There are plans for simple 'one step' stools all over the net.
Here is a link to some: http://www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk/Plans%20Alphabetical%20S.html

Salt/Pepper/Napkin holder
Three boards and some glue...
With proper wood, can be very impressive and functional.
Mekon wrote:

A trivet.
Tue, Dec 12, 2006, 10:54am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mekon) doth query: I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make something for his mother for Christmas, Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make? I don't need plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I have the idea.
If you've got some aromatic cedar you could have the kid cut some hearts out of it, preferably supervised, on the scrollsaw, to go in his mother's lingerey drawer.
JOAT Where does Batman buy gas for the Batmobile?