Wanted: Deck design software recommendations

Hi, Can anyone recommend a softeare package for designing a deck? I need to design and provide plans to my city's building inspectors. Thanks in advance. Matt
ICBW but I doubt that a Deck designing software package is going to make it past the city building inspectors.
You are probably going to have to provide specific specifications for your particular area. You might want to double check their requirements for information provided.

Matt, I looked around for a while at different packages. Either they were way too simple, ie can't do anything outside of a basic template they provide, or way overly complicated. If you really want, I can look for the titles I went through recently. I do recall that I bought a piece of s**t from Big Dog software and I hated it. In the end, I wound up using Autocad and it worked out GREAT. I use Acad at work occasionally and only know the basics on drawing lines and using layers. But that's enough to do a deck. I also went to Menard's where they have a kiosk with a pc and their proprietary design software. That did a pretty fair job, but still not exactly what I wanted. One advantage of using deck software is that it can generate a material list. As the previous poster stated, the drawing probably won't be sufficient to get a permit. Building depts usually want to see something from an architect. Good luck and let me know if I can help. I'm about to start mine in a couple of weeks, using Trex and doing an overhead pergola.                         Mark L.
mattzack2 wrote:

mattzack2 wrote:

Visio? Omni Graffle? Cricket Draw? AutoCAD? ArrisCAD? A pencil?
"3D Home Architect" by Broderbund has a deck design add-on. Good stuff.

When I built my deck I went to Home Depot, 84 Lumber and Chase Pitkin (local store) and they all printed designs for me and gave me a parts list and a total cost. 84 Lumber turned out to be cheapest and the best design. Worked great for the building permit.