Wanted: Catalog Copy Writer

OK, I'll admit I don't always have a complete grasp of things but I'm wondering, is the copy writer at Woodcraft maybe not in full understandment of what it is he's doing?
Direct Cut 'N Paste From Woodcraft Web Page
Product Number 143963 Fractional Dial Caliper "It didn’t exist so we had it made for us! One turn of the dial equals an inch, a feature that no other dial caliper has."
Now, I've used a dial caliper from time to time (OK, every time I'm in the shop) and all the dial calipers I've used measured an inch with one revolution of the dial.
Like I said, I don't always have a complete grasp of things.
Anyone?
Anyone?
Buehler?
UA100, who thinks maybe there aren't any woodworkers left at Woodcraft...
Add pictures here
✖

Mine is 1/10 inch per revolution. I checked the Grizzly catalog, and 0.1" is the most per rev they have - others are even less per rev.
Add pictures here
✖
DJ Delorie >

That sounds like a dial *indicator*. The item being sold at Woodcraft is a dial *caliper*.
UA100
Add pictures here
✖
Unisaw A100 wrote:

No, that sounds like a dial caliper. Every dial caliper I've ever used--Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoyo, or El Cheapo Chinese--reads .1" (1/10") per revolution, and has a resolution of .001". There are some really cheap plastic dial calipers which read 1" per rev., but they only have a resolution of .01".
Steve

Add pictures here
✖
Steve Dunbar wrote:

I'm sorry. I've been way off base here. I thought we were talking about calipers for use in wooddorking, not for measuring the thickness of our pubic hairs.
Please accept my apologies.
UA100, doing fine with his cheap "one revolution equals an inch just like God and Al Gore intended it to be" caliper...
Add pictures here
✖
says...

The latter would be consistent with the Woodcraft ad: it claims it's "calibrated" in 1/64" which is 0.015625", which, I assume they are trying to say that it has 1/64" resolution. They also need somebody who understands the difference between calibrated, resolution, accuracy, and precision -- but that's probably another thread
Add pictures here
✖

No, it's a dial *caliper*. Measures thickness of wood and such, 4" range, $20 at Grizzly. I happen to have a dial *indicator* also, same 0.1"/rev.
Add pictures here
✖
Unisaw A100 writes:

Marketing, I guess. I guarandamntee you I did NOT write that bit of copy while I was there, though.
I don't know who is doing catalog copy now, but I could make some very, very rough guesses. Not 1 of the 3 woodworkers who work for corporate? Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
✖
Well, The one I have in the den reads .100 of an inch per turn of the dial. 10 turns of the dial = 1 inch. But the one I have in the basement, that reads in thousands and fractional, Yes, It reads 1 inch per turn of the dial. But hell, I've had that one(the later) for a long time. Actually got it in a garage I used to work in, it was for measuring universal joint end caps.
Thanks, Tony D.

Add pictures here
✖
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Dial indicator?
or
Dial caliper?
UA100
Add pictures here
✖
Unisaw A100 said:

I haven't looked at the product in question, but what they probably mean is that it has fractional divisions like 1/8, 1/4 rather than .01, .02, etc. And there are several on the market, BTW - I have two different models. One is nylon plastic by Hemp, and the other is a stainless from Highland Hardware. FWIW,
Greg G.
Add pictures here
✖
Greg G. said:

Incidentally, they both are 1" per revolution as well..
Greg G.
Add pictures here
✖
GregG responds:

I checked out the web site and photo. Fractions is what they mean, but they emphasize something dozens of models have instead. Weird. I see they're back to have trouble with possessives versus plurals, too.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
✖

Try Highland Hardware #065008, on sale for $ 29.99. Reads in fractions, and looks like 1 revolution per inch. Been in their catalog for some time.
TW
Add pictures here
✖
TinWoodsmn responds:

Kind of a bitch to be the first to come out with a special design that everyone else has had for years. Rip van Winkle must be writing the copy.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
✖
I have this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageF036&category=1,43513,43546&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID Yes, the dial measures one inch for each revolution. I use it all the time; no wooddorker should be without one.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

Add pictures here
✖

Just beat me to it Steve. Don't have one, but did look it up & *drool* for a while.
Nahmie
Add pictures here
✖