Want to borrow a SawStop

I'm planning on building a birdhouse. I'm allergic to blood (my own).

Reply to
G. Ross

You can always advertise on Craigslist. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:56:21 -0500, Leon

Didn't I read something lately about your garage and your street sloping away from your property? Maybe all he has to do is to wait down the street for it to come rolling by. :)

Reply to
none

Actually, at the moment where I live, about 30 miles west of DT Houston, it Is 39 F.. Quite possibly an all time record low.

Reply to
Leon

I try to pay attention to NOT forgetting to lower the saw after moving it. It really is likely to roll out of the garage as it does roll that easily.

Which reminds me, my next door neighbor is an accident looking for a place to happen. As it stands so far I have see her initiate 2 accidents with in 100' of her house in the last 18 months.

First accident, where she was not even in the vehicle. I only heard the accident and then walked outside to witness the aftermath. There her car sat in the middle of the street. She apparently parked, change that to "stopped", the car in her garage and got out. The car rolled out of the garage, down the driveway, across the street, partially up the neighbors driveway stopping after coming into contact with the bumper of the neighbor's truck, and then back into the street.

Second incident was a few months ago. I was in the front yard talking to a neighbor and here comes the next door neighbor again. She apparently had difficulty negotiating the left hand turn on to our street. She lives second house from that corner, I'm third house from the corner. Anyway she swung way too wide, hit the curb and stopped. She had to back up and turn the steering wheel more to the left to get around the corner.

I'm waithing for the day that she either drives through the back of her garage and or through the garage door. The roof of her car always "just clears" the bottom of the door as the garage door opener is lifting the door. Her car is in and stopped before the garage door is finished going up.

Reply to
Leon

She likes the game of timing it... Eventually she'll be so confident, that she'll learn... Until then enjoy the show, after that it will stop.

Reply to
woodchucker

I know three guys who had their carbon fiber bicycles explode when the bikes encountered the garage doors... Oops....

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Big oops.. $$$$$$$

Reply to
woodchucker

"Mike Marlow" wrote >

Soon it won't be Oscar Meyers being put into a spinning blade, if this keeps up!

How about that, Mike, doest that make me reasonable yet?

Reply to
Morgans

At work the doors open 14' to clear a trailer. The door frames have a yellow stripe and the rule is, if you open the door more than a couple of feet, it must be above the yellow line. It is above the top of the fork lifts.

In bad weather I park inside and use the same mark before I pull out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

My wife was in the habit of getting in the minivan, hitting the garage door remote, then going through the starting up cycle. By the time the car was running and in gear, the door was opened nearly all the way, and she would check the mirror and back out.

One day, she hit the remote, confirmed the door was on the way up, started the car, checked the side view mirror to confirm the way was clear, and started backing up. Problem was, the door jammed and stopped about a foot lower than the top of the van. One garage door bites the dust.

She did check the mirror, she says, but the mirror's field of view does not go high enough to see a door that "almost" opened all of the way. Now she opens it before she gets in.

Reply to
Morgans

I simply look out the drivers side window to see if the door if fully opened and stopped.

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 08:51:34 -0500, Leon

That reminds me when I had to get my driver's license reclassified for hand controls some twenty years ago. I was in the middle of my driving test when another person ahead of me getting tested made a left hand turn.

He swung too wide, mounted the curb and then came off of it. The guy testing the driver got out of the car, took the car keys and threw them as far as he could. I laughed so hard, that I nearly turned onto the curb myself. :)

Reply to
none

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 08:51:34 -0500, Leon

I guess the real question is: How many times a day do you think it would be nice to have dedicated shop instead of a limited space garage?

Reply to
none

Actually I have all of a three car garage to use. All of my equipment is on mobile bases so it gets rolled into the one car side so that my wife can bring her car inside the 2 car side of the garage at night 90% of the time. I think the shop would have to be at least tripple in size before I might consider making them stationary.

That said I do very often position the equipment in different positions in relation to one another. It is handy to sometimes have the router table close to the TS so that I can rip both edges of a board after forming a molding edge and then back to the router table for two more edges and so on. This was very handy when making the half round moldings for the walnut curio cabinets several weeks ago. Then there are times that having a work surface close to the TS is handy for stacking and staging pieces that I may be cutting groves or tenons on to.

And regardless of the fact that I have most of the 2 car side to use when operating the TS I still use it in multiple positions/locations depending on whether I am cross cutting small pieces or ripping long pieces. This is especially true when I have a large cabinet set up on top of my break-down 8' long work area.

With all that to consider and the cost of a dedicated shop I think the ability to move the equipment to any location in my current space trumps the expense of having the extra room. If I were a production shop extra space would be better from an assembly and finishing stand point. I could continue to cut and mill lumber while other pieces were in the clamps or waiting for the finish to dry. Since I bought the Saw Stop about 11 months ago I have been relatively busy. I have built a +15 multi-game board mobile cabinet, a thread cabinet-cabinet, a small hanging corner curio display, and the two walnut curio cabinets for customers. For my wife the two large cabinets for her long arm sewing machine and the sewing desk that I recently completed. For me a two drawer mobile cart that resides under the TS right extension table that also holds my 2 Dubby jigs and the TS rip fence. For us the Walnut entertainment center.

I have been quite content with the space I have so far in the last 3 years.

Reply to
Leon

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:lijnv4$7c7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Didn't you plonk him two days ago?

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:lin53s$tvm$1 @dont-email.me:

You didn't answer the question, because you got caught out for being a blowhard. Some things never change.

I've been here, off and on, since the days of Tom Watson, Phully, JOAT and the Duke of URLs. Even won an award in the first and only Pukey Duck competition - still have the original Larry Jacques (rhymes with fakes) T- shirt to prove it. So go make a pointy stick and give yourself a prostate exam with it. This Kennerson guy is a troll, to be sure, but at least he's entertaining. Bay Area Dave was never that articulate, this guy is much more like The Man in the Doorway. Anyone else remember him?

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

I thought the same thing when he responded after the Plonk. But I was not going to say anything. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I don't think BAD was a troll, but he did get picked on a lot and probably runned'oft. O'Brother Where Art Thou

Reply to
Leon