Walnut on Craigslist

Saw this today on Craigslist Baltimore:

Reply to: snipped-for-privacy@craigslist.org Date: 2006-12-05, 9:13AM EST

2500 feet of wide walnut boards 5 year air dried. some 2", most 1". many are 18" wide and 12 feet long. will sell entire for fixed price , will not pick thru piles. Or will sell 500 board feet at a time@ $3/ ft.

410-823-2640

Too much for me, nowhere to put it. (No connection or knowledge of seller)

Dave

Reply to
David Bridgeman

Of if you only want 50 BF you can get it for only 50 cents more per BF any time from here.

Leon

But your point is correct; air dryed lumber on Craigs list should be cheaper than that.

And thanks, I will keep the link as I hope to make something out of osage orange and it is prohibitive around here.

Reply to
Toller

Just remember to figure in saw blades with that cost too.

Markem (Who went through 3 chains attacking grandpa's Osage tree's) (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Actually I think Mike could probably set you up with some 18" pieces and

10"-12" wide pieces are not unusual.
Reply to
Leon

Was the tree dead?

Reply to
Leon

Not sure that matters--osage is one of those concrete-with-leaves tropicals that just happens to grow in a temperate climate.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I see on the hardness scale it has a rating of 2040 "when green", Mesquite rates 2345. Both are about double that of Red Oak. I do know that as woods die and dry out they gets considerable harder. A dead Oak tree will dull a chain saw blade pretty quickly also. I have cut a little live Mesquite for firewood but that was long ago and I don't recall if the chain saw blades dulled very quickly or not.

Reply to
Leon

I have cut quite a bit of Mesquite in the Arizona desert and it is very hard. In the dimming light in the evening there were alot of sparks coming out of the cut. Don't know if this was due to dirt imbedded in the wood or just the hardness of the wood, didn't seem to affect the chain though. Makes damn good cooking wood though.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

"Fred" wrote

Many years ago, I was working for a short time at a very small mining operation in the Arizona desert. Whatever trees that were around there was very small and twisted. We would dull our handsaws on it very quickly. Axes just bounced off of it.

But just the right amount of dynamite would shatter the wood into fire size pieces. The key here being just the right amount of dynamite. Not enough, did little to the tree. Too much just scattered it all over into many small parts.

This approach is probably not politically correct any more.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Log run walnut should sell for well under 3.00/bdft. It's $1.95/bdft in

100 bdft bundles even at Wall Lumber.

Nova

LOL ... for 7 months, a long long time ago in a place far far away, almost every "hot" meal I ate was cooked using the explosive C4 as fuel ... probably can't do that any longer either.

Reply to
Swingman