Walnut on Craigslist

Saw this today on Craigslist Baltimore:
Reply to: snipped-for-privacy@craigslist.org Date: 2006-12-05, 9:13AM EST
2500 feet of wide walnut boards 5 year air dried. some 2", most 1". many are 18" wide and 12 feet long. will sell entire for fixed price , will not pick thru piles. Or will sell 500 board feet at a time@ $3/ ft.
410-823-2640
Too much for me, nowhere to put it. (No connection or knowledge of seller)
Dave

Of if you only want 50 BF you can get it for only 50 cents more per BF any time from here. http://www.mgsawmill.com/product.htm

True, but its not 18" wide, and can you imagine the shipping cost?! But your point is correct; air dryed lumber on Craigs list should be cheaper than that.
And thanks, I will keep the link as I hope to make something out of osage orange and it is prohibitive around here.

Just remember to figure in saw blades with that cost too.
Markem (Who went through 3 chains attacking grandpa's Osage tree's) (sixoneeight) = 618

Was the tree dead?
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 13:40:32 +0000, Leon wrote:

Not sure that matters--osage is one of those concrete-with-leaves tropicals that just happens to grow in a temperate climate.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I see on the hardness scale it has a rating of 2040 "when green", Mesquite rates 2345. Both are about double that of Red Oak. I do know that as woods die and dry out they gets considerable harder. A dead Oak tree will dull a chain saw blade pretty quickly also. I have cut a little live Mesquite for firewood but that was long ago and I don't recall if the chain saw blades dulled very quickly or not.
Leon wrote:

I have cut quite a bit of Mesquite in the Arizona desert and it is very hard. In the dimming light in the evening there were alot of sparks coming out of the cut. Don't know if this was due to dirt imbedded in the wood or just the hardness of the wood, didn't seem to affect the chain though. Makes damn good cooking wood though.
Fred

Many years ago, I was working for a short time at a very small mining operation in the Arizona desert. Whatever trees that were around there was very small and twisted. We would dull our handsaws on it very quickly. Axes just bounced off of it.
But just the right amount of dynamite would shatter the wood into fire size pieces. The key here being just the right amount of dynamite. Not enough, did little to the tree. Too much just scattered it all over into many small parts.
This approach is probably not politically correct any more.
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

LOL ... for 7 months, a long long time ago in a place far far away, almost every "hot" meal I ate was cooked using the explosive C4 as fuel ... probably can't do that any longer either.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Actually I think Mike could probably set you up with some 18" pieces and 10"-12" wide pieces are not unusual.
David Bridgeman wrote:

Log run walnut should sell for well under 3.00/bdft. It's $1.95/bdft in 100 bdft bundles even at Wall Lumber.
http://www.walllumber.com/premier.asp
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA