walnut lumber in Richmond

Has anyone dealt with these folks for lumber, specifically walnut?

just called them and they've got walnut for $4.06/bf, surfaced to 13/16". Next best price I've found reasonably close is Northland at zions crossroads for $4.65 (rough). Northland *does* have some 4-6' lengths for $3.30, but I think $0.76 more for longer stock is worth it (plus northland is an extra 90 minute drive round-trip).

I Contacted Siewers and they wanted $6.20!! Of course they have nice stock, but it's not worth that much more, at least not to me. Oddly enough though, Siewers has the best price for mahogany, at $5.35.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

I use Northland Forest Products.

If I am buying a lot, I go to North Carolina. I have an office in Clayton, NC. A place called Jackson International has 8/4 African Mahogany for $3.60 bf, 8/4 Honduras Mahogany for $4.50 bf. They have both up to 20"+ wide and

160" long. I would assume 4/4 is less. 3 hour drive, but well worth it, esp. since I go there every now and then anyway.

dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

I have never used the store in Richmond but I have used the one here in Charleston

The one here seems to cater more to larger orders(ones needing to be delivered on a large panel truck) but they will sell small amounts also. They seem to have some of the best prices around town.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I went to the one in Richmond once. I was looking for just a small piece of cherry plywood, apx. 6" x 18", to finish a project. I figured they may have some scraps laying around. I definately got some laughs and attitude. It seamed like they would have to go out of their way to sell me just one sheet, much less sell me anything smaller.

dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Ruffin & Payne? NB Goodwyn?

Haven't bought any hardwoods from Ruffin & Payne, but have bought a bunch of doors, trim, etc.

-HMT

Reply to
HMT

Just got back for Plywood and Plastics - their walnut definitely left a little to be desired. I got some decent pieces but most was about 4" wide and not superb quality. They were almost completely out so I think I got a lot of leftovers, which will at least be enough to get me started. Hopefully they'll be getting some more in soon. They did have a pretty good amount of nice cherry so I ended up getting some of that as well. Folks were friendly and helpful. I'll definitely head back there once they get some more walnut in.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

Whata shame ,must of hurt your feelings ....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Yea, almost as much as you did, lol. Thanks for the input. dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave