Walnut finishing

Page 2 of 2
     snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) writes:

Me neither (with walnut, anyway). Don't filled pores give you zits?
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences

Only if your nuts are ready to be shelled. :)
Charlie Self "Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute, it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality." Lord Acton
On 22 Apr 2004 15:37:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@theoffice.math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) wrote:

Not if you fill them with Poropac.
Prolly just gives ya cancer.
Or, makes ya look like Michael Jackson.
(which'd be worser.)
On 22 Apr 2004 05:04:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I'm happy with everything about Waterlox except the crust it forms from sitting too long with air in the can. But that hasn't been a problem with the last can.

Are you sitting down? OK, it is true.

We like the nuance of a clearcoat-filled pore to give it the elegant shadow it deserves.
- Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life. ---- http://diversify.com Dynamic Database-Driven Websites
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message ...

Thud!
brought forth from the murky depths:

Wouldn't that be "Boink!" Don't you fall up Down Under?
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Vance responds:

Now that truly works!
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) wrote in message:

Beautiful, Chuck.
As Charlie already said, perform the entire finishing schedule on a representative piece of scrap and see how you like it. Filled walnut isn't so bad, but it will have a very formal look. I'm satisfied with the small open pored look with walnut. For example, here's a project that was completed nearly in the dark, just a few minutes before it was time to open presents. The look on the recipient's face tells the story, and whether or not the finishing schedule (pure tung oil, thinned with turpentine, wiped off, and then a few coats of 2# dewaxed orange shellac - brushed on with a Golden Taklon brush)worked:
http://www.klownhammer.org/photos/xmas_project.jpg
You can see the tool marks, which in retrospect, I kinda like. There is also some serious sapwood, which I really really like.
Ain't woodfinishing discussions fun? O'Deen
ODeen notes:

Yeah. I seem to recall that the OP wanted to use the walnut for a desktop. Now, even my computer desk finds me pushing away at a ballpoint from time to time, so a filled surface is probably a good idea, though the walnut open grain ain't nowhere near as open as red oak, where your pen point falls in and stays in.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote in message (Conan the Librarian) wrote in message:

Thanks, mano. That piece of walnut came from Mike Mastin (Curly Woods). I needed some thick stuff for another project, and didn't even want figured wood. That was on the end of one piece that was otherwise pretty plain. I just love that kind of figure in walnut.

Or as Paully would say: Practice on scrap or you *will* be practicing on your project.

Very cool, and you're right, the look on SWIATAABOC's face tells the story. But who's the big goofy-looking guy in the picture?

Sapwood in walnut can definitely be a good thing. Back when I was just starting out, I made a little box for my L-N #164 (low-angle smoothing plane, Keef). I had a nice piece of walnut with a fair amount of sapwood, but rather than cutting the stuff off, I chose to feature it:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/LNbox2.gif
It's good to see someone else who's not afraid of the stuff.

Strangely enough, I actually enjoy them. I blame you and Paully Rad for that. These days I can't wait to see the piece when I first hit it with BLO or shellac or whatever. And to think I used to wish I could hire someone else to do my finishing for me.
Chuck Vance BTW, I've been driving around for weeks with a big hunk of mesquite sitting in a box on the passenger's side of my van. I wonder if I should maybe get by the stinking post office and send the darned thing out to Cahleeforneeya. Whaddaya think?
Ed Clark wrote:

Staining walnut is a crime against nature. The Woodworking Gods will punish you with a sentence requiring that you use no wood other than Jummy (pine) for the next 15 years.
Covering walnut with poly is another crime agaist nature, with a similar sentence. Sentences served back to back.
Unless you want to be using Jummywood for the next 30 years, I suggest you throw away the stain and triple up on the shellac.
Silvan responds:

Oh, bullshit, Michael. If he likes the look, then there's no reason on earth not to do it that way. I'd strongly suggest an experiment on scrap, but not doing something because of someone else's prejudices is not a good way to go, no matter comically they're phrased.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Eloquently put Charlie. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Take care Mike
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net