Walnut Desk Project and Sketchup PDF file

"Swingman" wrote in news:44WdnUugnu6HGsDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

One of the problems the ISPs face is called "Common Carrier" status. This means they are held not liable for information transmitted across their network, just as UPS is not responsible for the illegal drugs and guns they unknowingly ship. The problem comes when the ISPs start censoring the contents of newsgroups. At this point they have direct (and implied) knowledge of the contents of the newsgroups and the traffic on their networks, and can be held liable for these contents. The lose the Common Carrier protected status. They could have done the right thing and kicked the users of their networks off when they got the complaints, but instead took the easy way out by killing the entire newsgroups.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote

Thanks ... I'm very much aware of ALL the various issues involved. It is the actions of an "elected" government official that I find particularly loathsome, ill informed, and worthy of the stupidity evinced by the culture we live in.

We're toast ...

Reply to
Swingman

Exactly the same as the Mayor of Toronto, who has managed to convince his council compadres to totally ban all licensed guns, manufacture of them and all shooting ranges within the Toronto city limits. The end result being that his ban will have absolutely no effect or deterrent on those people using guns to commit crimes within the city limits.

His message to one local Olympic shooter and one local Paralympics shooter: "Go find some other place to practice."

Yup, initially I voted for the guy and my only comment there is that absolute power corrupts absolutely and that I feel like a fool now.

Reply to
Upscale