Walnut & CA Glue

Last night I was in the shop trying to make a repair to a walnut apron. I mixed CA glue with walnut sawdust and it started smoking & putting off fumes. Anyone have similar occurance?

Does it with punky wood, I know. Whatever chemical it found merely accelerated the curing process.

Could be just the moisture in the wood - I know CA glues cure faster with more water. Andy

Nope, not moisture. As a regular turned of green wood, I can say that with confidence. It's a difference in chemical composition.

Thats normal for CA glue.. From my model plane building days, those fumes can quickly irritate your eyes, nose, & upper respiratory systems so use plenty of ventilation if you are going to use a lot of it. Also, it gets super hot when setting up so if you happen to glue your sock to your ankle, you could end up with 3rd degree burns too. DAMHIKT.
BTW, if your glue wont "kick off", try a light dusting of baking powder in the joint. The oils in some woods sometimes keep it from setting up properly and the alkalinity of the baking powder sets off the reaction.
dickm

yep remember those days.you want smoke spill a big bottle of it on the floor. a real fog that sent me running.
Brandon wrote:

It will do that with any material if you've used a lot of CA as it is exothermic when it cures.
--

dadiOH