Walnut Birdhouses OT

After being inspired to a higher moral calling by all the insightful dialog on the war in Iraq. I have decided to donate my time and a portion of my much talked about and beloved 1000bf of walnut to helping resolve the issue of homeless pigeons. Not being fond of cookie cut tract housing I intend to do nothing but custom builds. I'm in need of birdhouse plans. Lots of them. So please post your plans. Keep in mind that a pigeon is a big bird. Lets see if we can get back to woodworking while still serving the greater good.

Ed

"Pigeons are birds too"

Reply to
amazed

Pigeons? You got something against statues?

I think pigeons are open roosting birds, anyway, though I'm not positive. I'm no longer a city boy, so I don't see many of them.

As an incidental point, walnut is a pretty good wood for birdhouses. It's reasonably durable, and not nearly as hard on animal and plant life as a lot of people think. I stuck a few walnut boards on my shop as siding (board and batten). It seems fine almost 10 years into the life of the place.

Reply to
Charlie Self

In Arizona they live under every bridge. I'm sure it will raise the hair of the PETA members of the group but I have been trapping and using them to train my setters for years. Don't hunt anymore, age and stupidity caught up with me. I love to take the dogs out and watch them work.

Ed

Reply to
amazed

snipped-for-privacy@no.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Pigeon's got egos too. Make sure you offer about a half-dozen models. Vary the floorplans, three elevations per plan. Offer upgrades - like carpet, nesting materials, additional exit holes, maple cabinets. You'll need about a dozen paint schemes to choose from.

See if you can line up a good management company to run the pHOA. They'll be tasked with making sure no Sparrows or Jays are allowed in the neighborhood.

Be sure and plan the roads in your pigeon development to be all curvy and sh*t. Make it as confusing as possible to find your way. A nice touch is to keep using the same name for different streets but just vary the "Circle", "Drive", "Street" stuff.

How I'm doin'? I got more helpful suggestions. I'm just full of it -- errr, I mean "them".

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

| After being inspired to a higher moral calling by all the insightful | dialog on the war in Iraq. I have decided to donate my time and a | portion of my much talked about and beloved 1000bf of walnut to | helping resolve the issue of homeless pigeons. Not being fond of | cookie cut tract housing I intend to do nothing but custom builds. | I'm in need of birdhouse plans. Lots of them. So please post your | plans. Keep in mind that a pigeon is a big bird. | Lets see if we can get back to woodworking while still serving the | greater good.

Each pigeon house should have a gallery of statues.

Morris Dovey

No, No. You guys have it all wrong. They should be built in the style of 1700's France, with darkened alcoves all along the main entryway so that they can sh*t in the alcoves instead of all over your cars. And don't forget urinal cups for brightening their beaks - or the overwhelming perfumes to cover up the stench.

Or perhaps like the squab houses of old New England - with a door that can be shut so you can pick out the fat roof rats and eat them. :-o

Save your lumber for a more appreciative species and build bluebird and chickadee houses, flycatcher boxes, and robin shelves instead.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

LMAO Out here you can't fly the US Flag without fear of the HOA knocking on the door. Homes where you can change the plugs on the car sell for a premium.

Reply to
amazed

Could start by calling it as it is - dovecote.

Reply to
George

They aren't rats? Are you sure?

Reply to
B a r r y

FLYING RATS !!!!!!

Reply to
Richard

snipped-for-privacy@no.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tell me about it - them bastages asked me to move the car off the cinder blocks and get my washer n dryer off the porch! :)

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

That would be gulls.

Reply to
George

When they made my neighbor quit sunbathing nude, I had enough. They were wringing the fun out of life. If a 400lb man can't sunbath nude in the front yard, well I just don't want live in a community like that. So I sold the place and bought a few acres, stuck a trailer out front of house. I'm renting it to him. Life is good. :-) Ed

Reply to
Ed Miskey

Reply to
william kossack

Up in the parks they have big "don't feed the gulls" signs, because they get bold enough to land on the table and run in for a nip off the end of your fork.

We're about thirty miles inland, as the gull flies, but you can't plow a field or cut hay without them descending on it in droves. I think they're going to give ravens a run for roadkill soon.

Wonder if they're adapting and evolving?

Reply to
George

Would that mean they were part of an intelligent design? :)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"And the gulls will inherit the earth"!;-)

not know> George wrote:

Reply to
william kossack

We had gulls all the way up in Colorado (this was back in the 60's). They were actually quite welcome, particularly in the hay fields as they would descend in flocks and clean up the grasshoppers. I don't know enough about the species to know if they were migratory or some other type of gull associated with inland fresh water bodies.

Mark & Juanita

Of course, the Gull is well-honored up in Utah for saving the Mormon settlers.

In truth, what it seems we have is a creature with the adaptability of the rat, and the same hygiene. I'd rather feed the cranes and turkeys than gulls, though there never seems a shortage of crawlies for any of them in a hayfield.

Reply to
George