Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber?

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

everything he could think of to take it off. Finally he succeeded - with Purify mouthwash!
None of us, nor anyone we've told the story to, ever used Purify again :-).

Inedible? Pishaw, you've not lead a good life until you have eaten a slice of "Pecan Pie" made with black walnuts instead of pecans.
If you by chance you mean you can't eat the meat because the shell is indestructible, you're still wrong, but it is an understandable error.

Thanks.
I bought about 150B/F mix lengths and widths "old Walnut" from a woodworker who gave up the trade sometime back. Some of them are dark, light brown while others are mix brown and dark. My question is, am I correct to say it's "Black Walnut" without misrepresentation?
Further, can I applying Hydrogen Peroxide on the light brown walnut to dark darken the surfaces?

I believe that there is another type of Walnut that comes from California but most likely you probably have Black Walnut as its color does vary from piece to piece and in many cases on each board.

I know that some mills will process walnut differently to even out the wild color variances but I am clueless as what HP will do for you. Since HP is relative cheap and available try some on a scrap piece and see what happens.
<snip>

http://www.ca-walnutdesigns.com/claro.htm
There's maybe 100 bf of this in my wood rack now, air dried, with excellent figure. It's waiting until I get good enough to be worthy of the challenge.
Make haste slowly.
Patriarch

Yeah, Claro Walnut was what I was trying to remember.
"Leon" wrote in message

It's still considered Black Walnut,.IIRC.
I got about 150bf of the stuff sitting in my shop waiting on me to get off my duff and build a couple of tables and some trivets for Christmas.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

mainly in California.

Mon, Nov 22, 2004, 3:45am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) says: No, I think Claro is different animal. From my understanding it is found mainly in California.
Remember, google is your friend. http://www.ca-walnutdesigns.com/claro.htm http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=english+walnut http://www.black-walnuts.com /
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
"J T" wrote in message

Indeed ... note the work "black" in the common names:
http://www.precisecut.com/materials/wood/blackwalnut.htm http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/Syllabus2/jhindsii.htm
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I stand corrected... All in the semantics I guess.. Indeed a Black Walnut but a "Special" California Black Walnut. LOL
"Leon" wrote in message

Well, I don't know about "stand corrected" ... you, JOAT and Charlie (certainly Charlie would be much more knowledgable than I in these matters) are undoubtably correct about there being many different species of what some collectively call "black" walnut. The "black" might even be more regional than semantic.
I got into the species thing last year when I was trying to figure out if it was the "black" walnut that made so damn sick with a lung problem, as the problem coincided with a couple of walnut projects.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

IIRC you can get Black Walnut juat about anywhere in the US. It may be however like the Live Oak. The Live Oak is found in numerous places and comes in a wide variety of species.
There it was probably a component present in several species. The genus name Juglans gives a name to its herbicide - juglone.

Mon, Nov 22, 2004, 9:26am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) says: <snip> I got into the species thing last year when I was trying tofigure out if it was the "black" walnut that made so damn sick with a lung problem, as the problem coincided with a couple of walnut projects.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (Swingman) says:

Thank you. Good information, as usual. I was curious as to how soon I could use the compost, into which I had mixed the walnut sawdust/chips.
Patriarch
Tue, Nov 23, 2004, 9:24pm (EST+5) patriarch
could use the compost, into which I had mixed the walnut sawdust/chips.
Remember, google is your friend. LMAO
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in waves and says:

As a fellow of infinite curiousity yourself, you will likely realize that, if all of the threads of interest are followed, nothing of any consequence would ever get accomplished.
Wait. That's the current trend! Gotta go!
Patriarch
Wed, Nov 24, 2004, 12:17am (EST+5) patriarch
that, if all of the threads of interest are followed, nothing of any consequence would ever get accomplished. <snip>
No prob. Not many threads interesting enough lately to follow.
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Lucky so-and-so!
After looking online at walnut for some projects tonight, I think I have a handle on the terminology. The true walnuts are all members of the Juglans family. The big three are European/English/Carpathian walnut; Black Walnut, which comes from eastern North America and Claro walnut, which comes from western North America. What you get if you get walnut without modifiers is almost certainly Black or Claro walnut. The European stuff is apparently very expensive and rather hard to get.
There is also Butternut, which is sometimes called 'white walnut'. It comes from North American and is light brown but has working properties almost identical to the various black walnuts, at least when it comes to carving.
Next on the list are the tropical walnuts, many of which are members of the Juglans family. They include Peruvain walnut and, I believe, African Walnut. They look pretty much like the North American walnuts, but I don't know anything about their working properties.
Finally, just to confuse things, there is New Guinea walnut and some other so-called walnuts which aren't walnut at all. They're not members of the Juglans family and at least in the case of New Guinea walnut, don't look anything like any walnut I've ever seen.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?