WalMart redux

Page 5 of 5

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:42:50 -0800, Larry Jaques

Gee Larry, seems like you and I are both guilty of the same horse@#$% reasoning. :-) Suspect we'd have gotten whole-hearted buy-in had either of us used the name Trent Lott. :-)

Oh yeah!?! Strom Thurman. So there.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Strom's dead, Jim.
Certainly there are examples on both sides of the aisle. It just seems that one side has tried to claim the moral high ground for the past couple of decades when a significant number of them actually opposed some of the originating legislation passed in the 60's. Somehow they get a pass while any small thing that could be misinterpreted when spoken by the other side gets screaming headlines until blood flows. Hence "Sheets Byrd" can use the "N" word with nary a whisper, while an off-hand comment with no invective by Lott at a birthday party for a 99 year-old man results in a media storm that could only be calmed by his resignation.
Point is, racism is not limited by social or economic status. Some of the more affluent or well-cultured may hide their racism by avoiding various vernacular, but that's only window dressing.
Fact is, people are people and we need to treat each other accordingly.

You sure, Mary?
Seeing Strom slumping in that Senate chamber chair the last 15 years, I'da sworn he passed on back in '90.
:)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Old proverb: "Never attribute to anger that which can be explained by stupidity". I trust there's more to the story than meets the media eye.
IMHO, YMMV

Well. while I do not doubt that the incident did indeed happen, you did read it in the news paper, right? Chances are there was a bit of sensationalism in the mix. I wonder why there was not a customer and Wal-Mart point of view used in the story. There very well may be a bit of politics being used. Imagine that. LOL. I

I believe that one of the major story's had a customer point of view. A later story had WalMart apologizing from headquarters. What other POV do you need?
Oh. Right. It was all made up to make the newspapers look good and WalMart look bad.
Guys like you would hear, "The deck's tilting" on a sinking boat as an example of bias.

Humm now we hear all of the story. LOL That was not previousely mentioned.

Not all made up but sensationalized to get readers to take the bait. I believe that newspapers tend to "troll" a lot.

I still think that Wal-Mart is probably to blame but like a car accident I also believe that 95% of the time the incident is preventable by the one that was acting stupid, not being stupid, and by the one that always seems to be a victim, thinking ahead to stay out of that type situation to start with. Defensive driving can work for everyday situations. Had I been going in for gift cards with a company check that large I would have called ahead and told a manager who to expect and with what size check to expect and asked to whom I should speak to. I am quite certain that Wal-mart would appreciate this advance warning also. Yesterday I saw a customer in line at Wal-mart ahead of me buying $20 gift cards, with cash and $2500 worth. It took the cashier quit a bit of time to register each card for the correct amount along additionally with the person at the exit going through all those cards. I was thinking that the customer could have saved every one some time including himself had he called in the purchase and picked the cards up later at the courtesy booth.

I seriously doubt it. He was wearing a bright plaid suit, a purple furry hat, and lots of bling. He is probably not very busy during the day.

Consider that this Walmart has received roughly $35,000 this year from GAF prior to this sale. Had this Walmart valued the GAF business (upwards of $50k/yr total) they would have taken the initiative to deliver the finished $13,600 gift cards to the responsible party or department at GAF and collected payment at that time.
Really, Walmart is treating the GAF business just like they do most other customers and employees.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

If they knew in the first place that some one was coming over to buy a load of gift cards. Perhaps they might have had some one called.

No doubt. I personally try to avoid Wal-Mart but also believe that there are 2 sides to every story.

Sure are. But the need to kiss a retail store's butt, at least metaphorically, to spend chunks of money in said store is never one side of the story.
And, speaking of sides to the story, no one has yet explained why the manager never called the cops on the white lady picking up the cards using the exact same procedure. In fact, no one seems to have thought of that question as a part of the story.
Regardless of WalMart's preferences or practices, it seems to be a certainty that the manager (former manager?) is a racist and an adamant one at that.

Leon, as I recall from the article, the 500 cards were ordered with names printed on them. Given that they were pre-printed, one has to assume there was communication between the Walmart and GAF confirming the order was ready to be picked up.
Here's a paragraph from the St. Pete Times with a bit more detail: <http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/02/Tampabay/Racial_profiling_fear.shtml
"GAF has been spending about $50,000 a year on gift cards at the Wal-Mart Supercenter at 11110 Causeway Blvd. in Brandon. For years GAF sent a white, female administrator to buy them without incident. This time, when she was on vacation the day before Thanksgiving, Pitts did the job himself. He phoned in the order for 520 cards, got the accounting department to issue Wal-Mart a $13,600 check and then encountered a royal hassle trying to exchange it for gift cards at the store."
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

I see, I had never seen the article. I wonder if they had sent a white guy instead of the white lady that they are used to seeing if they would have hassled him also. In the Houston area if there were no minorities shopping the Wal-marts there would only be a need for 1 store instead of the 40 or 50.
Maybe not bias.
I recently read in the WSJ where a union(s) have an very active campaign to unionize the Wal-Mart folks. They are attacking in the courts, in the press and in the stores.
Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc., are very popular 'bitch' targets. Just don't let the facts get in the way.
Jack
-- I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.

you