WalMart redux

capability.

The register keys might have as much to do with the problem that "hamburguesa con queso" doesn't fit on the keys very well.

todd

Reply to
todd

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:13:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Charles Self" quickly quoth:

As I stated in other posts on this thread, by having the victims or their attorneys suggest to the court that it require the perps to repent their evil ways.

Scenario 1: Victim tells his attorney to tell Perp's attorney that they can either:

1) Pay the victim the sum of $170,000,000.00

OR, rather hopefully,

2) Mandate some sensitivity training (and whatever else they see as good steps toward community) for all existing and all future employees, and pay his minimal (at this point) attorney costs.

Which do you suppose the perp will opt for?

A third (maybe best) option is for everyone to _just_develop_a_thicker_skin_!

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How thick a skin is necessary? Now, let's talk real life..."shame,shame, next time I might slap your wrists" is nonsense especially in the corporate world. About like our vaunted leader's followers all being required to take ethics training, I'd say. At their ages, it's far too late to do any good.

Reply to
Charles Self

Humm now we hear all of the story. LOL That was not previousely mentioned.

Not all made up but sensationalized to get readers to take the bait. I believe that newspapers tend to "troll" a lot.

I still think that Wal-Mart is probably to blame but like a car accident I also believe that 95% of the time the incident is preventable by the one that was acting stupid, not being stupid, and by the one that always seems to be a victim, thinking ahead to stay out of that type situation to start with. Defensive driving can work for everyday situations. Had I been going in for gift cards with a company check that large I would have called ahead and told a manager who to expect and with what size check to expect and asked to whom I should speak to. I am quite certain that Wal-mart would appreciate this advance warning also. Yesterday I saw a customer in line at Wal-mart ahead of me buying $20 gift cards, with cash and $2500 worth. It took the cashier quit a bit of time to register each card for the correct amount along additionally with the person at the exit going through all those cards. I was thinking that the customer could have saved every one some time including himself had he called in the purchase and picked the cards up later at the courtesy booth.

Reply to
Leon

Prove that statement. Identify one small company / corporation "run out of business with large lawsuits leaving no competition to keep the prices down at their competition ".

Cite one.

We're waiting.

You made the statement.

Back it up.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

The instructions for form 8300 specify more than $10,000 in _cash_.

It specifically states "Note. Cash does not include a check drawn on the payer's own account, such as a personal check, regardless of the amount.".

However, if a retailer or banker _believes it to be a fraudulent or otherwise illegal_ transaction, they then must file form 8300.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Maybe not bias.

I recently read in the WSJ where a union(s) have an very active campaign to unionize the Wal-Mart folks. They are attacking in the courts, in the press and in the stores.

Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc., are very popular 'bitch' targets. Just don't let the facts get in the way.

Jack

Reply to
John Flatley

I think you may be confusing that for Cash transactions. I saw no such from when I bought my last 2 cars and wrote checks for the whole amount. I do recall my days working at a car dealership though. The sales staff and new car finance did not take cold cash for the purchase of a car. I witnessed a brief case full of cash being opened up in New Car Finance and the money being turned down. I often took checks for payment by insurance companies well in excess of $10,000.

Reply to
Leon

I seriously doubt it. He was wearing a bright plaid suit, a purple furry hat, and lots of bling. He is probably not very busy during the day.

Reply to
Leon

Consider that this Walmart has received roughly $35,000 this year from GAF prior to this sale. Had this Walmart valued the GAF business (upwards of $50k/yr total) they would have taken the initiative to deliver the finished $13,600 gift cards to the responsible party or department at GAF and collected payment at that time.

Really, Walmart is treating the GAF business just like they do most other customers and employees.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

If they knew in the first place that some one was coming over to buy a load of gift cards. Perhaps they might have had some one called.

No doubt. I personally try to avoid Wal-Mart but also believe that there are 2 sides to every story.

Reply to
Leon

Sure are. But the need to kiss a retail store's butt, at least metaphorically, to spend chunks of money in said store is never one side of the story.

And, speaking of sides to the story, no one has yet explained why the manager never called the cops on the white lady picking up the cards using the exact same procedure. In fact, no one seems to have thought of that question as a part of the story.

Regardless of WalMart's preferences or practices, it seems to be a certainty that the manager (former manager?) is a racist and an adamant one at that.

Reply to
Charles Self

Leon, as I recall from the article, the 500 cards were ordered with names printed on them. Given that they were pre-printed, one has to assume there was communication between the Walmart and GAF confirming the order was ready to be picked up.

Here's a paragraph from the St. Pete Times with a bit more detail:

"GAF has been spending about $50,000 a year on gift cards at the Wal-Mart Supercenter at 11110 Causeway Blvd. in Brandon. For years GAF sent a white, female administrator to buy them without incident. This time, when she was on vacation the day before Thanksgiving, Pitts did the job himself. He phoned in the order for 520 cards, got the accounting department to issue Wal-Mart a $13,600 check and then encountered a royal hassle trying to exchange it for gift cards at the store."

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I see, I had never seen the article. I wonder if they had sent a white guy instead of the white lady that they are used to seeing if they would have hassled him also. In the Houston area if there were no minorities shopping the Wal-marts there would only be a need for 1 store instead of the 40 or

50.
Reply to
Leon

I'd like to believe that an incident like this, minus the realistic threat of a lawsuit, would be enough to wake up the Tampa cops department. But I don't do drugs.

Nope, the only thing that is going to have the LEAST BIT of impact on the Tampa police and on Walmart management is the credible threat of a monetary suit with a realistic probability of significant financial losses.

Those entities don't care about the humiliation and intimidation inflicted on some black guy in a tie. But they DO have to answer for their bottom line.

And that is the bottom line.

Lawsuits enforce the social contract in ways that nothing else can.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday