WalMart redux

SNIP

Morris, it certainly sounds like a good solution to me. Isn't this the "taking personal responsibility" we've been hearing so much about?

In my personal life, I make it a point to personally apologize for actions with no excuses diluting the apology. My wife and I make our daughter do the same. If she wrongs someone, she needs to feel some discomfort while making it right. Own up to the behavior and let the other person know they are respected with a *no excuses* apology.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

did you _read_ the original posting? They *DID* make a call to GAF's accounting department. The validity of the check and the person presenting it *was* verified.

They called the cops _anyway_.

D'oh!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I like Morris's concept. It might just have enough corporate and personal discomfort in it to work. In today's context, though, hurting the pocketbook is the only thing that comes close to working. And with a company the size of WalMart, that takes a huge, at least to me, lump of money.

Reply to
Charles Self

And, evidently, that manager wasn't. Story continuation has him still refusing to apologize, even AFTER Bentonville apologized.

Do you think he's looking for a job this morning? He should be. "Would you like fries with that" is probably a bit above his intellectual capability.

Reply to
Charles Self

In article , SPAM)vasys"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 22:26:38 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Morris Dovey" quickly quoth:

Sorry, Charlie. (I've been wanting to say that ever since the Starkist commercials went off the air.) Sorry to you, too, Morris.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:26:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Charles Self" quickly quoth:

Charlie, you forget that all payouts affect the cost we pay for every item coming out of that corporation. Whatever raises THEIR cost-of- doing-business raises the price WE pay. And remember all the small companies/corporations who were run out of business with large lawsuits, leaving no competition to keep the prices down at their competition and leaving us paying more for the services we were trying to limit. Are you happy with the outcome of our gov't breaking up Ma Bell? (Neither am I.)

Lawsuits are bullshit. Please focus on real change, not an assumed solution.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:27:36 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Fly-by-Night CC quickly quoth:

Oops, I knew I'd rue the day Evelyn and I broke up. ;)

Still, we don't know whether he was a tee-and-jeans or a suit-'n-tie kinda guy and it could have made the difference to the bozo(ette?) at Wally World that day.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And you would induce that change exactly--or even approximately--how?

Reply to
Charles Self

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:29:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Charles Self" quickly quoth:

Oy vay!

Let's hope he's out of a job. Notice how your "worker's statement" consists of single-syllable words. He just might be able to pull that one off, though I doubt he'd recognize what he was saying. Did you know that, to help cope with the bozos on that bus, Mickey D's put in new cash registers with pictures of their items on the keys? I just about sh*t when I saw that first one eons ago. Taco Bell followed suit, though I always found their employees a bit brighter than McD's. I guess they'd have to, as "enchirito" is a 4-syllable word.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Why should it make a difference? He could roll in wearing a jockstrap and a light coat of oil on his way to a bodybuilding contest. He had ID, he was vouched for. So a subhuman clerk (if there is anything below human) and a subhuman manager and a "Planet of the Apes" cop manage to do everything possible to spoil his view of the world because he MIGHT have been in jeans, a supposition that isn't supported in any way by the little we do know.

Reply to
Charles Self

Strom's dead, Jim.

Certainly there are examples on both sides of the aisle. It just seems that one side has tried to claim the moral high ground for the past couple of decades when a significant number of them actually opposed some of the originating legislation passed in the 60's. Somehow they get a pass while any small thing that could be misinterpreted when spoken by the other side gets screaming headlines until blood flows. Hence "Sheets Byrd" can use the "N" word with nary a whisper, while an off-hand comment with no invective by Lott at a birthday party for a 99 year-old man results in a media storm that could only be calmed by his resignation.

Point is, racism is not limited by social or economic status. Some of the more affluent or well-cultured may hide their racism by avoiding various vernacular, but that's only window dressing.

Fact is, people are people and we need to treat each other accordingly.

Mark & Juanita

Well. while I do not doubt that the incident did indeed happen, you did read it in the news paper, right? Chances are there was a bit of sensationalism in the mix. I wonder why there was not a customer and Wal-Mart point of view used in the story. There very well may be a bit of politics being used. Imagine that. LOL. I

Reply to
Leon

According to the story, the GAF employee was "Dressed in khaki pants and a blue button-down-collar dress shirt". I'm not one to cry "racism" easily, but operating on the assumption that the news story is accurate, I don't know what else to conclude.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I believe that one of the major story's had a customer point of view. A later story had WalMart apologizing from headquarters. What other POV do you need?

Oh. Right. It was all made up to make the newspapers look good and WalMart look bad.

Guys like you would hear, "The deck's tilting" on a sinking boat as an example of bias.

Reply to
Charles Self

| On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:36:50 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, | "Morris Dovey" quickly quoth: | || Larry Jaques (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said: | ||| So is it better to sue for many of the funds the corporation owns ||| or is it better to force the corporation to rid itself of these ||| idiots? The former increases costs paid by you and me. || || This is a question each of us needs to consider. For myself alone: || I am willing to pay a share of the cost for those I care about to || live in a free, fair, and just society - and you might be a bit || surprised at the number of people I care about - and by just how || much I happen to care. | | Oy, another bleedin' Liberal, are ya? You guys are expensive. ;) | (Not that "Conservative" Shrub has done any better on the other side | of the aisle.) Just remember what ol' Ben said | before they stuck his profile on a big bill. | | "He who sacrifices freedom for security is neither free nor secure." | -- Benjamin Franklin

Hmmm. If "giving a damn" makes me "another bleeding liberal" than I guess that's what I am. I believe that in even (perhaps /especially/) in the most free of societies, one can choose to contribute in ways that seem appropriate and desirable to oneself.

If "bleeding liberal" is an epithet to you or you have misgivings about my willingness to "pay my share of the cost", a few of the "payments" are listed at the bottom of

I don't think Ben would object much to any of my choices.

In spite of all of his carefully preserved wise words, I'm not certain that Franklin understood the true essence of freedom in all its fullness - I /am/ certain, beyond any shadow of doubt, that both Nathan Hale and Mahatma Gandhi /did/.

My reading is that the Shrub hasn't a clue; and that if somehow he arrived at that understanding in some epiphany, he'd find the implications truly terrifying.

Morris Dovey

You sure, Mary?

Seeing Strom slumping in that Senate chamber chair the last 15 years, I'da sworn he passed on back in '90.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Well, from the rumors I've heard whispered, with respect to those of the darker persuasion's tooling, the clerk mighta thought he had a concealed weapon down there.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I need a roll of paper towels and some 409 to clean the Diet Coke off my computer...

Reply to
B a r r y

Whoops. And that's an old one, one I heard about a week after getting out of Parris Island, during ITR, when someone asked what the uniform of the day was. Jesus. ITR would have been mostly in May, 1958. Warm enough for the uniform at LeJeune. Long, long time ago. No wonder I creak.

Reply to
Charles Self