WalMart redux

Page 1 of 5

I read a story in today's Roanoke paper that says a Tampa, FL WalMart managed to stick its footsies in the fire again. The store staff checked ID--driver's license, business card, a call to the company accountant--for a human resources manager for GAF, but decided to hold on to his $13,600 company check, and the 530+ WM gift cards he'd had pre-printed for his employees, while they called the cops. When the cops got there, one of them grabbed the guy, and told them, "We need to see about that forged check you brought in here."
The HR manager is black. The check is good.
It was spent at Target, according to the story.
I hope the HR manager grabs a large pot of beans off WalMart's legal stove with this one, and sues the living shit out of the deputy and the municipality for which acts as a paid thug.

Did they call the cops because they thought a black person couldn't have access to those resources? Does the story say that? Or has it gotten to the point that as long as you are black, everything that happens to you is automatically racially motivated?
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:59:02 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

It's been that way for a long time. I firmly believe from personal experience that a large majority of "racial" difficulties allegedly experienced by blacks are exactly the same sort of experiences all of us have. But if you've been raised to be black, that is, to be offended and oppressed, you can apply no other interpretation to the act.
I'd like to know how the transaction escalated to the level of police involvement. I wonder if there was a little "attitude" expressed somewhere in it.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"Charlie Self" wrote:
<snip>

Some things to remember:
Tampa is headquarters for GAF, or was, last time we did business.
If this event happened during business hours, a simple telephone call by the appropriate WalMart employee to GAF accounting, would have verified the validity of the check.
Of course the person placing the telephone call needs to be able to communicate and understand conversation that has advanced a level or two beyond Neanderthal.
Lew

did you _read_ the original posting? They *DID* make a call to GAF's accounting department. The validity of the check and the person presenting it *was* verified.
They called the cops _anyway_.
D'oh!

And, evidently, that manager wasn't. Story continuation has him still refusing to apologize, even AFTER Bentonville apologized.
Do you think he's looking for a job this morning? He should be. "Would you like fries with that" is probably a bit above his intellectual capability.
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:29:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Oy vay!

Let's hope he's out of a job. Notice how your "worker's statement" consists of single-syllable words. He just might be able to pull that one off, though I doubt he'd recognize what he was saying. Did you know that, to help cope with the bozos on that bus, Mickey D's put in new cash registers with pictures of their items on the keys? I just about sh*t when I saw that first one eons ago. Taco Bell followed suit, though I always found their employees a bit brighter than McD's. I guess they'd have to, as "enchirito" is a 4-syllable word. <bseg>
"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
quickly quoth:

you
capability.
The register keys might have as much to do with the problem that "hamburguesa con queso" doesn't fit on the keys very well.
todd

Attitude? I hope there was attitude. If they'd done that to me, they'd have needed the frigging cops and an ER squad to get the manager's balls down from around his neck where I'd punt them for his treating me like that.
Attitude doesn't always come with being black. It comes with being screwed over.
According to the St Pete times the gaf employee waited for over two hrs for wal-mart to give him the gift cards but would not. He even asked for the company check back wal-mart refused. cops called that there was a forged check. A felon. So cops grabbed the felon. Cops went on info that the check was forged and man was trying to pass it. Wal-mart mgr would not even say he was sorry. Bentonvill(?) had to call his company and say we sorry. Oh and the employee even called his company to tell them the problem but the wal-mart mgr knew better. To the average reader I think you have to assume, this wal-mart mgr did not trust the black guy. Hey wally mart lost $13,500 sale , lost a future company sale from Gaf, and should loose a local store mgr. Anyone interested in applying for his $22,000 / yr. position. It is also 10 hr a day 6 days a week .
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:59:02 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Frank

Perhaps fewer than half the folks who walk into Wally World to cash a check do so for checks with sums smaller than $13.6k.
Questions: Was the employee/exec, or the cop, or the writer black? The story is far from complete enough as it stands here.
-- Instant Gratification Takes Too Long! ----------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com Non-Instant Web Development

I was just asking if the story says this or if it your interpretation. Relax.
Charlie Self wrote:

The story also says the HR manager was stalled for about 2 hours - which is about 1 hour and 55 minutes longer than I would wait for someone to accept my $13,600!
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13316814.htm

I agree with your wish of bewns for the HR manager, but I have a thought: With a $10K limit above which monetary transactions have to be reported to thwe Feds somewhere somehow, would it not have been wise to call ahead and see whether a check would be acceptable payment?
By the way, it brings to mind The first chekc I ever presented to Sears, not long after opening our first checking account in Cambridge, MA in 1969. I was asked for my driver's license, and produced it. Guess they had never seen a Dutch license at Sears on Mass Ave (since gone). I didn't yet have a Mass license, and they were a bit taken aback by this sheet of hot pink, measuring about 4 x 11" (wide). We still have some of the pans from that first household purchase in the US.
For a current application for a Dutch license, see <http://www.rdw.nl/NR/rdonlyres/ACED28C9-8A1D-458C-B9B5 - D7F06E68DF8B/0/3E0660m.pdf>. It would help if you understand Dutch.
--
Best regards
Han

The order was placed earlier...it didn't say how much earlier. Regardless of what the Feds want, Wal-Mart is not an enforcement arm, and GAF is a major company, so you'd think that their check, assurances of the guy's business card and ID and a call to the company accountant would suffice. This was NOT a personal check.
Obviously not.

And the Miami Herald says, in part <http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13316814.htm :

Note the guy's not some drone off the manufacturing floor, he's an HR manager. Those people usually dress pretty business-like; at least they do in my wife's HR office. They're also pretty well versed in business-like behavior and have decent educations.

SNIP
It's certainly difficult to tell what really took place from reading an article but it certainly sounds as though the guy had the ID, supporting information and a company history with the practice.
What's criminal in all of this is making him stand around in a Walmart for 2 hours! See? The slippery-slope of making torture acceptable has trickled down to Wallyworld.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

I've been in two. Both had the same rancid popcorn smell as K-Mart. Standing at the service desk in one for 2 hours is certainly Cruel and Unusual!
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:15:51 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

But he was on vacation and may have been less well dressed than he might have been for work. The reports didn't say and there were no photos that I saw.

Right, picture ID and a business card with his name on it is usually good enough for all places except banks. The clerk/mgr really hosed it this time.

Hey, since torture isn't legal, what say we export some Hormel plants to Iraq. Unused space on the processing floor could be used to house rebels.
--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.

Are you yankin' my chain, Larry-w/o-C? Just in case you're not and you were out the day Evelyn Wood covered comprehension... ;) It wasn't he who was on vacation, it was the white lady who normally picked up the gift cards who was sunning in Barbados:
"The company, which had $1.6 billion in revenue last year, had been spending about $50,000 a year on Wal-Mart gift cards and never had a problem when it sent another employee -- a white, female administrator who according to The St. Petersburg Times was on vacation that day -- to pick them up."
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:27:36 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Oops, I knew I'd rue the day Evelyn and I broke up. ;)

Still, we don't know whether he was a tee-and-jeans or a suit-'n-tie kinda guy and it could have made the difference to the bozo(ette?) at Wally World that day.