Wallpaper

Robatoy wrote in news:7391f09d-bd40-443e-9515- snipped-for-privacy@b18g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

I've never done wallpaper before, but it seems to me if it's pre-glued it'd be a water-based glue and not alcohol based. Save the beer for drinking, use water. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

-------------------------------------------------- You haven't lived till you have hung paper using wheat paste glue. (Yes it's water based)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You guys all whining about hanging wallpaper haven't lived until you've removed paper going back a hundred years ...

Hanging is a piece of cake compared to removing.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Or "removed" it from a wall that hadn't been primed, painted, or even sized. It would have been easier to re-rock the whole bathroom. :-(

Reply to
keithw86

Don't remove it. Roll it with KILZ and then skim float with new mud. VOILA! It's like new drywall.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

It's not hard, just a tad messy.

For the afterparty, hunt down a copy of _A Day at the Races_, (1937).

Reply to
whit3rd

On Mon, 3 May 2010 10:12:40 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote the following:

I've never hung wallpaper, though I tried to help once (I helped straighten and align), but I've removed it. In this house, I removed the flowery shit in my bedroom, the striped crap in the bathroom, and the choo-choo stuff in the office. Luckily, 2 of the three were plastic-based, so they pulled right off. the third was paper-based but the glue wasn't very good, so most of it pulled right off, too. I then took warm water and the old glue dissolved into the washtowel. A few gallons or rinse water later, I was done. It was time consuming but not too hard, thank goodness. I've also been instructed to paint over old wallpaper, when it's _really_ on there. THAT I like to do.

-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reasons why wallpaper is evil...

Yep, yep .. sucks.

Ack! Just thinking about it sucks

Oh gods yes! I did that BEFORE the tools available today for removal. Took me two weeks just to clean a 25ft hallway! My arms hurt just thinking about it. Don't paper it! Paint it!!

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

Took me longer than that on a small bathroom. Then I had to repair all the divots. Though I didn't realize it at the time, the paper came off the sheetrock with the wallpaper. Then it took three tries to get it primed and painted so the paint would stick. What a mess.

Reply to
keithw86

Wallpapering is inherently evil.

After about 1 roll I start speaking in tongues.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

As long as you are papering an area narrower than the paper is wide. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 4 May 2010 16:06:03 -0700 (PDT), RonB wrote the following:

Stop licking your fingers clean, silly.

-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had the same problem with that hallway. It took two weeks just to get the paper off, then we realized they hadn't primed the walls, so the sheet rock paper came with it. By the time we got done with the hallway, we stood just staring at the bedroom, which was next. The only good part about the bedroom was that they had only papered halfway up the walls, but that still took another few weeks. What should have taken a couple weeks all told, took a few months because of improper preparation on the previous worker's part. I'd rather put up paneling than to ever deal with wallpaper again.

`Casper

Reply to
Casper