Walking

Cool, I like the fact that at 85 you still trail ride. I have a question, I play Volleyball almost daily. I have had both shoulders rebuilt, my knees are my Achilles these days. I blew both ACLs, and that's part of the problem the other is just the vertical that I have, when I land it is a pounding.

Can the juice work on it's own, or do I need the Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM ? I took them for a while and they didn't help me. They were expensive too.

It appears both are needed. I get them from Puritans Pride Their catalog #

6130. That?s a bottle of 120. Buy 2 and they send 3 free. That?s 600. I take 3 a day at mealtime with the juice. The juice is not the best tasting so I add equal amounts of a fruit juice to it.. Costs $37.98 plus $4 something shipping. So that makes each pill about $.07 per pill. So at $.21 a day I get my life back. You can find their site if you Google. WW
Reply to
WW

Keep at it, CW! Sounds like you're determined, and progressing well.

I can only imagine what that first step felt like. Must have been quite the event!

Congratulations on this major milestone!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Progress! And yes, a big deal.

I'm so badly out of shape though that I

I had an entirely different situation that also made the smallest exertion a major undertaking, for a long while. I found that each improvement seemed to come before I noticed it directly. Rather than a deliberate "test" like walking around the block, I'd forget my glasses upstairs and climb the steps to get them. I'd come back down to the computer and only later realize, "hey, I just climbed the steps, almost normally".

Each accomplishment is another milepost on the road to better things. And by all means take encouragement wherever you find it. People, most people anyway, are happy to provide it, even people you only "know" online. A number of folks on a piano discussion board were very supportive when I was on the mend, people I have never met. Think of the lone asshole here as useful contrast; put there to make the good wishes of the rest stand out in greater relief.

All the best.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

So I am curious, did you have a procedure done at all?

FWIW a neighbor just had her knee replace a couple of months ago, I think she is about 50ish.

She was walking "2" days after the surgery, on pain med of course but today about 8 weeks later she is riding a bicycle again, several miles a day.

From what I hear the secret to a quick recovery is for you to wake up from surgery with a peddling machine working that leg. Another friend in her 70's woke up that way and recovery was quick.

Reply to
Leon

I've been told basically the same thing. Get right in to the PT and work as hard as you can. It does promote faster and stronger recovery. I shattered both femurs and todays after surgery they started PT. God do I remember knocking heads with nurse Ratchet.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I understand the knee surgery is pending.

she is about 50ish. She was walking "2" days after the surgery, on pain me= d of course but today about 8 weeks later she is riding a bicycle again, se= veral miles a day. From what I hear the secret to a quick recovery is for y= ou to wake up from surgery with a peddling machine working that leg. Anothe= r friend in her 70's woke up that way and recovery was quick.

Once a prothesis is put in, it's ready to go, period. The only thing preve= nting the patient from getting up and going is the soft tissue that has bee= n "damaged" by the surgery. It takes 21 days for that type of wound to ful= ly heal. Similar with hip replacement.

There are range on motion machines to assist the patient to get going right= after surgery. Depending on the patient's problems, some can get up and s= tart walking, immediatley, and some can not. The machines slowly increase = the range of motion the knee will flex, i.e., say 10=B0 the first day, 20= =B0 the second day, etc., until relative full range of motion is achieved. = Often times, during this machine course, the patient will be motived to no= t use the machine and eagerly do the workouts on their own.... some folks c= an tolerate this type of "self induced" pain/slight pain better than others= .

There are several reasons why one needs to get moving as soon as possible a= fter surgery. A few:

1) The longer one waits, the more scar tissue will develope, such that rang= e of motion may become restricted... and sometimes restricted to the point = of the knee becoming stiff. Scar tissue can form so bad and so fast, it wi= ll "lock" the knee, preventing movement or it hurts enough that the patient= doesn't want to do the exercise on their own. Some patients are less acti= ve and sometimes it's hard to get them going, then they develope a stiff kn= ee. In bad cases, as this, we've had to put the patient to sleep and manua= lly/forcefully yank/flex the knee, literally ripping the scar tissue apart,= in order to free up the joint. 2) The sooner a patient sees improvement, usually they are motivated to kee= p going and more so on their own 3) The patient needs to maintain the tone and strength of their leg muscles= . The muscles around the knee provide lots of support for the knee joint. = It's not just the ligaments and connective tissues that provide support fo= r the knee. 4) Movement helps the body remove any potential for blood clotting, even sl= ight clotting, hence further enhancing and speeding healing and recovery. = Movement keeps the blood vessels open and functioning properly. Movement (= flexing and contracting of muscles) acts like a pump to keep the flow of bl= ood going, especially through the veins. The veins carry blood not only ba= ck to the heart, but to the kidneys and lymph system, for cleaning/filterin= g and/or removing any "trash" in the system. The cleaner the blood, the be= tter it can absorb oxygen from the lungs. 5) Good steady improving movement equates to the patient progressing nicely= . If there is evidence of some halting or sporadic movement (other than co= mplaint of pain), i.e., (subjective observations) in routines/regimine/sche= dule, then there may be a reason to monitor for infection, which would be a= sign of some interference with a normal improvement schedule.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

is about 50ish. She was walking "2" days after the surgery, on pain med of course but today about 8 weeks later she is riding a bicycle again, several miles a day. From what I hear the secret to a quick recovery is for you to wake up from surgery with a peddling machine working that leg. Another friend in her

70's woke up that way and recovery was quick.

preventing the patient from getting up and going is the soft tissue that has been "damaged" by the surgery. It takes 21 days for that type of wound to fully heal. Similar with hip replacement.

after surgery. Depending on the patient's problems, some can get up and start walking, immediatley, and some can not. The machines slowly increase the range of motion the knee will flex, i.e., say 10° the first day, 20° the second day, etc., until relative full range of motion is achieved. Often times, during this machine course, the patient will be motived to not use the machine and eagerly do the workouts on their own.... some folks can tolerate this type of "self induced" pain/slight pain better than others.

after surgery. A few:

[...]

And there is,

  1. Insurance insists you free up that bed. ;`)
Reply to
Leon

I am going out for a walk. No big deal to most but I spent the last year in a wheel chair. In the last month, I have progressed from the chair to a walker and now just a cane. I'm so badly out of shape though that I can only make it about a block before I have to rest. Oddly enough, I have to constantly remind myself how to walk. You wouldn't think you forget but apparently I did. My knee is still bone on bone. My doctor seems to think I am to young for a knee replacement. He said to give it a while and see if the pain goes away. I'll see how it goes. Airports should be fun. I have a steel plate and 15 screws in my lower leg. ============================================================================== Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, encouragement, and advice. You guys have given me a lot of good info and helped me make decisions on dealing with my condition. Thank you all. I very much appreciate it.

Reply to
CW