WAINSCOTING Paint or Stain?

I've completed the disassembly of a mirrored wall in a "dining room". The attached kitchen is pretty much all white and stainless. with a reddish floor tile also used in the dining room. I was thinking initially of doing it in a natural cherry stain. I'm wondering if it'll make it to "steakhouseish". White would also work. If I use the stain will it make the room "larger"
? and is there a method of Wainscoting to make the room "Appear Larger". Basically, The Wall is 138", I sheathed the wall in 3/8 Maple with 4 equal partitions spaced by 4x1" Maple. Would thicker or thinner make much of a difference?

Lighter = larger Stain is nice, paint is nice. Cherry can look very rich against white or SS. All depends on the rest of the decor and colors. Lots of personal preference also.
Thinner partitions will make it look larger, but too thin looks out of place too.
Thanks! I think the white will be best! I'm going to re-examine the width of the bottom panels.

The
doing
equal
place