Wagner sprayner looks pretty good but does it work?

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?aol_refer lse&msn_referlse&nest=http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=V22676 !tplTAIL!ref=CJ8&ref=CJ8&cm_ven=SHOPPINGFEED&cm_cat=HOME%20IMPROVEMENT&cm_pla=HOME%20PROJECTS&cm_ite=V22676
I also saw this sprayer on infomercial used on kitchen cabinets and other things where the spray head could be changed to a different colors without cleanup in-between. The paint result looks impressive on the infomercial - but we all know most don't work once you've taken it home. In any case, has anyone used one and wish to comment, good or bad? I had an old Wagner and it was a PITA - loud buzz box that sputters paint.
Fred wrote:

I used 2 diffrent Wagner sprayers to paint my Father-in-Laws office, the old model required me to thing the paint and it was fairly worthless, the newer model fixed that and came with a spray tip for thinner material painting with it for over a week, it was better then just the roller but that was about it, it was messy a pain to clean, and wasn't very efficient, was not over impressed. spend the $80-$100 and get the sparayer from HF, and save your self the misery
Richard
--
if corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, where dose
baby oil come from?
Fred wrote:

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?aol_refer lse&msn_referlse&nest=http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=V22676 !tplTAIL!ref=CJ8&ref=CJ8&cm_ven=SHOPPINGFEED&cm_cat=HOME%20IMPROVEMENT&cm_pla=HOME%20PROJECTS&cm_ite=V22676
"Wagner" is a synonym for "POS". I've got one in the attic I'll sell you cheap! No refund though, when you discover it is TOTALLY USELESS. :)
dAVE
I agree! Infomercials are all junk. I won't get screwed again ordering something from them. If you want a good sprayer find out what the pro's use and get that. I guarantee you they don't use Wagner.

So what have you replaced it for fine woodworking? I was looking at a good HVLP unit but need to wait a little longer to come up with the $$.

As an addition to my compressor and HVLP gun, I decided to try a Harbor Freight HVLP system. It was under $100 ( about $80 IIRC ). I have been pleasantly surprised. It has handled latex paint and oil paint with no problem. The air flow is fixed and you adjust the amount of paint only so it is not as adjustable as more expensive units but I guarrantee it's a whole lot better than the Wagner. If I wanted to put a final finish coat on a good piece of furniture, I'd probably use my regular gun/compressor combination as I can make finer adjustments but for regular sprayjobs - it's well worth it.
Just MHO,
Vic

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber772
Thanks, is this the one?
I have both airless and air. The airless is a pro setup for big jobs and for the air I just don't want to lug my 240V compressor around than rewire for it. I also have a little pancake compressor but don't have the CFM for the HVLP gun. So the Harbor Freight looks pretty good if it works for finishing work.

No - this is the one I have - they had it on sale a while back for 79.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberD677
Fred wrote:

:) Well, worth every dollar. LOTS of dollars... It allows me to confidently finish any project that begs for a sprayed finish. I have numerous tips, caps and nozzles for it now, so it's super versatile. I can spray dyes, lacquers, polys, shellac, even latex. The spray pattern is adjustable and very uniform. Atomization is fantastic. I don't find cleaning the unit to ever be any big deal, either.
Dave
What's the setup for Latex?
I recently tried using an airless for some outdoor furniture. What a nightmare. I was laying the stuff down about an 1/8" thick, couldn't get it into any tight locations and sucking up the gallons like nobody's business. Then came the fricken 8 step process of cleaning the airless system, during which I somehow lost the (expensive) spray tip.
Only to find out later that the pieces I had lating ona tarp now neede to be liberated using a box cutter because the overspray had them firmly attached to the tarp. The only thing missing from this scenario was me stepping in a full bucket of paint... which almost happened too!
The saving grace was, I took a few sets of these Adirondack chairs and setup on the side of the road just outside the downtown area and sold two full sets (2 chairs, 2 footstools and a table) for $199 each set in about two hours. Not bad for $50 worth of materials per and 2 hours labor per set.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

about 15% or a bit less. Use a tip in the .062 range. I've used latex to spray some exterior trim. Only problem for large projects is holding the 1 qt cup full of paint. I don't own a pressure pot.
Dave
Two chairs, two stools and a table, cut , assembled and painted in 2 hours. Amazing. It takes me that long to turn the lights on, select the lumber and find the templates. JG
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

I've been using my airless, professional, production quality, for years to paint houses but never thought to use it on furniture. That was until I saw my neighbor, a contractor, painted his kitchen cabinets and doors with a cheap airless and the results were impressive - smooth like from the factory. The trick is using a smaller tip and adjusting the pressure - you need to get it just right. Never had problems getting into tight locations where a roller or brush couldn't touch. The problem for an airless is it gets into everywhere. Looks like your tip is too big, pressure too high, moving too slow or combinations thereof. I agree with you that its a pain to clean up the airless but for big projects like a whole house its ok since you saving many hours of work compared with a roller.

If the product name is Wagner, you will always be able to buy better.
Haven't a clue about Wagner but I wouldn't buy one based on the sheer number of complaints I've heard the past few years. I don't have an HVLP (my Critter is about as close as I've gotten) but have been looking at the SATA MiniJet's. They don't demand too much from your compressor and SATA is very well regarded in the finishing world. Might be worth a consider. Cheers, cc
Yep! Add my agreement as a POS product. I also have one comes with a backpack kit. and consider it totally useless. Don't waste your money on Wagnor sprayers.
Fred wrote:

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?aol_refer lse&msn_referlse&nest=http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=V22676 !tplTAIL!ref=CJ8&ref=CJ8&cm_ven=SHOPPINGFEED&cm_cat=HOME%20IMPROVEMENT&cm_pla=HOME%20PROJECTS&cm_ite=V22676
I knew it was not the right tool, but I bought it because it was cheap and I had a shit job to do. Spraying a latex on a heavily textured ceiling. You got 3 seconds of spray before clog no matter how dillutted or how much Latex lubricant was added. I would only use it to paint stain on fences. For just a few bucks more get a compressor and gravity feed s[rayer and do it right!