WAAAY OT: Third-hand smoke toxicity

That's one "discussion" that even if you win, you most likely lose.

Reply to
Swingman

Evidence or not, it doesn't matter. Smoke filled clothing especially from cigars to a non smoker smells like shit. I would bet your wife is more upset about you coming home and reeking up the joint. Buy some Febreese (sp?) in the laundry detergent isle and spray it on your ripe self before you walk in the front door.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Yes, but they're all listed as smoking related. Sure way to inflate stats.

Reply to
CW

I am convinced women have a much more acute sense of smell than men. We have this discussion about exhaust smell from lawnmowers and snow blowers.

My take is, reasonable or unreasonable, the smell bothers her. She is the best thing to happen in my life, and if avoided smells makes her happier, I'll do it. She does the same for me.

Logic, reason, and statistics have little place in this argument.

Walt C

Reply to
Walt Cheever

Sat, Feb 19, 2005, 10:10am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) proclaims: Not at all. It's a matter of timing ... if I knew when it was going to happen, at least one week before I would buy a carton, and a frozen margarita machine for the kitchen.

I do not agree with that philosophy at all. You are 100% in the wrong.

Instead, do it the wizard way. You get ahold of every credit card you possibly can, then max every single one out; and borrow as much as possible from anywhere you possibly can. Then blow it totally before you go. The one who goes owing the most wins.

Carpe cervesa

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

I missed the beginning of this one, but:

Several years ago, our newspaper published a study which, for the one and only time I've ever seen it, included some real numbers.

According to the study (by NIH, IIRC), exposure to secondhand smoke for

8 hours a day over a working life of 40 years increased your chances of getting lung cancer by 1 in 10,000. WOW!

Now I don't know how accurate it was, and I've never seen any other numbers to either confirm it or refute it. But if true, we've spent a lot of time and effort to correct a minor risk.

A friend of mine pointed out that he didn't care, he just didn't like to smell the stuff. At least that's a valid reason :-).

And no, I don't smoke. Well, my cardiologist does allow me one cigar a month. He says that's not smoking, as far as my health is concerned. I've been doing that for 8 years now with no addiction problem causing me to increase the number.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

FWIW, the day my mother found out that her cancer was terminal, she took the long list of foods that her cardiologist had had her avoiding for 20 years down to the country club, handed it to the manager, explained the situation, and said "I want _all_ of them". And she was _pissed_. Heart's a lot cleaner way to go than cancer. Personally I quit worrying about it at that point.

Especially if you can find a way to stick your ex-wife (not your grieving widow, I mean the one who divorced you after you put her through law school and took the house and the Ferrari) with the bills.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not "women". Individual women. And individual men. Consider the people who get paid by perfume manufacturers to judge nuances of fragrance. Some folks have noses dang near as good as a bloodhound.

Reply to
J. Clarke

OK, OK, I get the point ... I'll *charge* the Camel's and the margarita machine.

Reply to
Swingman

Maybe she doesn't like smell? After a few bowls of chili and a 6-pack of beer, I certainly won't fart anywhere near my wife. In fact, after a meal like that, I go to a cigar bar and fart. Who'd know? Now I think about it, that would be inconsiderate, because some of the patrons will have to go home at some point....

It's a complicated world.

0¿0

Rob----> who doesn't smoke and thinks that people who do, stink.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hi Phil,

Google "Michael Fumento" Hudson Institute and you will find all the information you want that proves ETS (Environmental Tobacco Smoke), while awful is basically harmless.

Here is a link to get you started:

for 30+ years now but hates PC crap)

Reply to
loutent

How about all the cows that develop lung cancer every year. How many of them do you suppose smoked more than a pack a day? OTOH, maybe the guy who ran the milking machine was a smoker and it was second-hand smoke that did them in.

If all these cases of bovine lung cancer are caused by second-hand smoke it wasn't from tobacco. Maybe from the eruption of Mt. St. Helen's or any of the other volcanic eruptions which occur periodically on our planet and spew more pollutants into the air than a thousand years of cigarette smoke.

Go worry about a metiorite crashing into earth.

"Liberalism is a mental disorder."

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Abortion being in any way harmful to the mother or to the unborn child does not fit the liberal agenda. Ergo, any study linking increased probability of breast cancer resulting from abortion had to be faulty. If you rhink ir could be otherwise you do not understand liberalism.

Joe

"Liberalism is a mental disorder."

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Now there's an interesting thought. I remember some radio program a bit back where the interviewer was talking to people in their 80s and 90s who had decided to take up smoking again.

Reply to
Silvan

Wouldn't work. The bubble would outgas carcinogens.

Reply to
Silvan

I know a guy who smokes exactly two cigarettes a day, and has been doing that for about 40 years. He's considered a "non-smoker" for life insurance purposes, but his health insurance has him as a smoker.

I also knew a woman who died an extremely horrible and grizzly death from lung cancer. She never smoked, wasn't around anything more than whatever occasional environmental smoke she just couldn't avoid, didn't work in a mill or a coal mine. She was only 52.

Reply to
Silvan

This whole thread makes me want to point out that I feel the same as your wife does, except I feel that way about perfumes and artificial fragrances of every flavor. Certain kinds of vanilla, and one berry-scented something they don't make anymore, and oddly enough, Brut. Everything else from Old Spice to Chanel #5 gives me a splitting headache moments after coming into proximity with the repugnant vapors.

The world is filled with these horrible fake fragrances. I've even heard limp wristed prancing little prissy boy perfume industry fragrance designers assert that there is absolutely no difference between a fake fragrance and a natural one. I assert that that is bullshit. Why don't real flowers make my head hurt?

I couldn't care less about smokers, but if I had my way, I'd abolish the entire artificial fragrance industry. No more perfume, deodorant (except Brut), cologne, scented candles and plugins and air fresheners and whatzits. Get rid of it all and replace it with the scent of good cherry pipe tobacco. That would be a nice start.

It feels good to get this rant off my chest. I've been meaning to find some reason to rant about this for ages. I guess it's one reason SWMBO and I have stuck together so long. I told her how badly such things affect me early on, and she stopped spraying herself with that glop. She's one of the few women I know who doesn't exude chemical foulness from her every pore. I appreciate her for giving up her perfumes for me, because I know women are into that crap.

Reply to
Silvan

"> I Get rid of it all and replace it with the scent of good cherry

otherwise you have it pretty close to right.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Reply to
Bob Bowles