WAAAY OT: Third-hand smoke toxicity

Page 1 of 3  
This has to do with an ongoing, um, discussion with my wife.
Her position is that a person, could be anyone, who goes to a tobacco shop after work for an hour and then comes home smelling like smoke is, in fact, exposing her to the bazillion toxins in cigar smoke. I read a dozen or so articles following a Google search, and from what I can tell, there's no direct evidence supporting that claim. My gut tells me that while she may theoretically be correct, the 1.8 ppm of chlorine in our tap water or a large fry from McD's would be at least as dangerous to her health.
If anyone has any direct evidence one way or t'other, I'd appreciate it. Ah, hell, even if anyone has interesting anecdotes, those would be pretty okay too.
Thanks,
-Phil Crow
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ask her who she knows who isn't going to die - healthy or otherwise. Wouldn't it really piss you off to have never been exposed to any bad stuff, and still die? So, enjoy yourself and quit worrying about the petty things, because the final outcome ain't gonna change.
- Doug
--

To escape criticism--do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." (Elbert Hubbard)


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Why dont you ask that question to someone suffering from cigarette smoke related emphysema or a child who lost a parent to lung cancer? What would you say to them? "Sure little Mikey, your mother is dying a painful death from lung cancer because she smoked a pack a day. But hey, quit worrying about the petty things."
Sure we are all gonna die, but its the how and why that make the DIFFERENCE.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 04:45:14 +0000, stoutman wrote:

From "third hand smoke" aka smoke smell? Get real - from a reformed smoker. There's probably more chance of shortening one's life from spraying weed-be-gone on your lawn than a whif of third hand smoke on someone's clothes. Get over your PC syndrome and try to put a small amount of perspective in your reasoning. The PC willys will probably shorten your life from stress more than third hand smoke. And fer Christ's sake, never get close to a campfire and roast a marshmellow!
- Doug
--

To escape criticism--do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." (Elbert Hubbard)


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You wrote "Wouldn't it really piss you off to have never been exposed to any bad stuff, and still die?"
You are implying that we should all go out and have a camel because hey, we are all gonna die anyway. Bad atitude Doug.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:00:15 +0000, stoutman wrote:

No, I'm implying that we're all exposed to some amounts of natural and unnatural carcinogens and unless you want to spend your life in a bubble pack to [possibly] delay the moment of your death by a few seconds or minutes, you shouldn't worry about it. The bad attitude is one that is unable to apply perspective to risk.
- Doug
--

To escape criticism--do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." (Elbert Hubbard)


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I missed the beginning of this one, but:
Several years ago, our newspaper published a study which, for the one and only time I've ever seen it, included some real numbers.
According to the study (by NIH, IIRC), exposure to secondhand smoke for 8 hours a day over a working life of 40 years increased your chances of getting lung cancer by 1 in 10,000. WOW!
Now I don't know how accurate it was, and I've never seen any other numbers to either confirm it or refute it. But if true, we've spent a lot of time and effort to correct a minor risk.
A friend of mine pointed out that he didn't care, he just didn't like to smell the stuff. At least that's a valid reason :-).
And no, I don't smoke. Well, my cardiologist does allow me one cigar a month. He says that's not smoking, as far as my health is concerned. I've been doing that for 8 years now with no addiction problem causing me to increase the number.
--
Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I know a guy who smokes exactly two cigarettes a day, and has been doing that for about 40 years. He's considered a "non-smoker" for life insurance purposes, but his health insurance has him as a smoker.
I also knew a woman who died an extremely horrible and grizzly death from lung cancer. She never smoked, wasn't around anything more than whatever occasional environmental smoke she just couldn't avoid, didn't work in a mill or a coal mine. She was only 52.
--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan < snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Wouldn't work. The bubble would outgas carcinogens.
--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan < snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Disagree..it's a great attitude!! If I live my life correctly, all my parts should be totally worn out at the same time and I'll just go... if one single part still has life in it..I've done something wrong.
I've already started by removing body parts while practicing my favourite hobby...I consider it an investment <g!>
It's kinda like having seat covers on the car...where you're uncomfortable for the years you own it and you save the really good stuff for the next guy. Or having carpet runners on your floors. What's the point? I buy a car to sit in and use, I buy carpet to walk on and I have a body that will work right up to the moment it doesn't, regardless what I do to it...
You're worried about third hand smoke? I s'pose you'd better quit barbequing your steaks...or tofu. That charred stuff may be a carcinogen...
My $0.02 (CDN)
Rob
--


http://www.robswoodworking.com

"stoutman" < snipped-for-privacy@a.com> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"stoutman" wrote in message

any
we
Not at all. It's a matter of timing ... if I knew when it was going to happen, at least one week before I would buy a carton, and a frozen margarita machine for the kitchen.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sat, Feb 19, 2005, 10:10am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) proclaims: Not at all. It's a matter of timing ... if I knew when it was going to happen, at least one week before I would buy a carton, and a frozen margarita machine for the kitchen.
I do not agree with that philosophy at all. You are 100% in the wrong.
Instead, do it the wizard way. You get ahold of every credit card you possibly can, then max every single one out; and borrow as much as possible from anywhere you possibly can. Then blow it totally before you go. The one who goes owing the most wins.
Carpe cervesa
JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong. - David Fasold
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J T wrote:

FWIW, the day my mother found out that her cancer was terminal, she took the long list of foods that her cardiologist had had her avoiding for 20 years down to the country club, handed it to the manager, explained the situation, and said "I want _all_ of them". And she was _pissed_. Heart's a lot cleaner way to go than cancer. Personally I quit worrying about it at that point.

Especially if you can find a way to stick your ex-wife (not your grieving widow, I mean the one who divorced you after you put her through law school and took the house and the Ferrari) with the bills.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"J T" wrote in message

OK, OK, I get the point ... I'll *charge* the Camel's and the margarita machine.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Swingman wrote:

Now there's an interesting thought. I remember some radio program a bit back where the interviewer was talking to people in their 80s and 90s who had decided to take up smoking again.
--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan < snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
From someone who has died twice - I highly recommend taking a walk on the wild side and the sooner the better. Although I don't consider third hand smoke (who ever heard of this anyway?) gettin' wild and crazy - I think Doug has the right attitude if not stated elequently enough for your taste.
Every morning when you walk out the door to go to work, you assume you will return that evening. Guess what, for many people, that doesn't happen. And yes, we all die of something.
I hug and kiss my wife and grandson every morning like it will be the last time I ever see them - conciously.
You can lead the healthiest life possible and still get run over in a crosswalk by a bus or have some asshole park his SUV in front of your train or have a plane ram into your office, etc., etc. The media splashes stories in front of us everyday about all kinds of stupid tragedies. Go to any trauma unit and see if one person isn't in there not due to a something stupid and not of there own fault - smoking included.
And what would be the difference what a parent died of when you have to explain it to a little kid? Would you feel better explaing that mommy died of breast cancer or daddy died of congestive heart failure? Doubtful the kid will. Hopefully they won't grow up into a politician with a chip on their shoulder (like one of our previous governors).
My two cents worth. Mark

smoke
worrying
Christ's
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"stoutman Feb 18, 8:45 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 04:45:14 GMT Local: Fri, Feb 18 2005 8:45 pm Subject: Re: WAAAY OT: Third-hand smoke toxicity
Why dont you ask that question to someone suffering from cigarette smoke related emphysema or a child who lost a parent to lung cancer? What would you say to them? "Sure little Mikey, your mother is dying a painful death from lung cancer because she smoked a pack a day. But hey, quit worrying about the petty things."
Sure we are all gonna die, but its the how and why that make the DIFFERENCE."
Not always, but, in fact, Phil was asking about the simple aroma of a cigar or tobacco shop. It seems like to me his wife has picked up a fearful fantasy somewhere or other. There's a lot of difference between smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, and being exposed to the aroma of a cigar in someone's hair or clothing. As a former 3-1/2 pack a day smoker, I can tell you I don't like the smell of ANY smokable substance after it has been lit, but I also don't figure someone else's hygiene problems will affect my health--short of creating a transferance of fleas or some such.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

DIFFERENCE.
You'd have to ask that question of someone who had a loved one die because their spouse stopped by a smoking lounge on the way home from work and then spread the dangerous toxins on to them when they arrived home. Doubtful you can find the case study to support it, but that was what the OP was talking about.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And how you die absolutely is not going to be controlled by any decision that you make. There are many smokers that die of other natural causes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, but they're all listed as smoking related. Sure way to inflate stats.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.