VOTE

Page 4 of 4

BIg deal -- IQ spread is from 94 to 104, hardly something of statistical significance.

Most obvious explanation there is that the more time people spend in the leftist-dominated world of academia, the more likely they are to vote for leftists. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
Doug Miller wrote:

How can *actual information* be a hoax?
If you do have a reliable source that contradicts the numbers appearing on the table (either the electoral results or the reported IQ average for each state), I would be happy to hear it and dismiss the above link as a hoax.
Carlos --

It's *purported* to be actual information. The page itself admits that it may not *really* be actual information.

Hellooooo... did you read the page in question?

The notion that the average IQ in a State would vary from a high of 113 to a low of 85 is pretty far-fetched. Depending on how they were standardized that is a spread of two or three standard deviations.
On it's face, it's not credible.
--

FF

On 9 Nov 2004 17:12:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

A statewide IQ of 85 is not credible either: anything below mid-nineties would be suspect.
(Fred the Red

As would one as high as 113. That is what I meant, but phrased it badly.
s/average IQ in a State/average IQ of the States/
That's better.
--

FF

Doug Miller wrote:

Did *you*?
The part about *possibly* being a hoax was about the 2000 election -- and that same person pointing that out reports that he confirmed the 2004 correlation for number of College graduates (instead of average IQ).
Carlos --

Educational level does not correlate with IQ well enough to serve as a substitute for it.
There is *no* source presented for the IQ figures on that page.
In fact, the whole thing looks very much like somebody took the hoax page for the 2000 election and simply substituted Kerry's name for Gore's, not even being clever enough to remove the references to 2000.
Until such time as the figures may be shown to be accurate, there's no reason to take them seriously.
Matter of fact, with the lack of academic scholarships, and the plethora of "diversity-building" free rides, it seems there's a reversal in process.
Oh yes, if whatshisname was a true liberal, he'd be preaching the injustice of a culturally-biased test ....

Doug Miller wrote:

Yuppers. It pretty much goes without saying that any statement or claim relating to politics shouldn't be taken too seriously without verification (which I, of course, can't provide.)
Nevertheless, I did find it interesting - and think it would be /very/ much more interesting if it could be verified.
Even if totally true, however, I'd still not be overwhelmingly convinced that it's meaningful (strong correlations frequently aren't.)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Sort of like, 100% of heroin addicts drink water; water causes heroin addiction?
Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
(Charlie Self) wrote:

Maybe a little realistically, remember the allegation so oft-repeated in the 60s and 70s that marijuana is a "gateway" drug ("deduced" from the fact that some seriously high percentage of heroin addicts tried marijuana first, ignoring the fact that most pot smokers did *not* become heroin addicts).
I imagine most of those heroin addicts smoked tobacco cigarettes, too, but nobody (then) claimed that tobacco was a "gateway" to harder drugs.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in message

I've always claimed it is. Since nmost tobacco abusers start below the legal age for purchase or posession in their state (Maryland was an exception when I first moved here) tobacco abuse also establishes the pattern of crimnality that is associated with drug abuse.
--

FF

On 09 Nov 2004 17:22:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Yep, from the "small dogs cause cancer" school of statistics. Apparently sometime a number of years ago, someone did a study and found a high degree of correlation between people owning small dogs and cancer. No real cause/effect.

It has been pretty thoroughly debunked. You can find it on a web search.
dwhite

That one's a hoax.
This one at least looks credible:
http://sq.4mg.com/stateIQ-income.htm
--

FF

(Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

Plausible, anyway.
Interesting figures from the Nov 15 issue of Newsweek on voting data by education level:
Did not finish high school: Kerry 50%, Bush 49 High school grads: Bush 51, Kerry 47 College grads: Bush 51, Kerry 48
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 06:42:26 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

Putting aside all the liberal excuses/explanations, this is a much more to the point analysis of the 2004 election results:
<http://www.townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/dp20041109.shtml
-Doug