VOTE

Page 2 of 4
ranted:

For us, too. We need to get Libertarians in every office, starting at the bottom. 600 there need to move up into Senate and House seats to get anything real done in this society. <sigh>
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT? --------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Sin-free Website Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm not sure I'd wish what I see in local politics on anyone at the national level.
Voting for democrats at the county and state level out of revulsion for the republican ideology at the national level is one thing.
Voting for some of them based on personal attributes ... dicey stuff.
(Of course, there is no party-by-party lock on that either).
JK
<snip>

What about voting for the office seeker that you feel you can trust most (or more accurately, distrust least)?
I am a registered Republican, in California, for over 30 years. I don't recall voting for a single Republican on this last ballot. It was very strange.
Patriarch
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:05:17 GMT, patriarch

All I can say is Atta Boy, G. (WTF is your first name, anyway? I've been calling you Pat for short.)
--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE --------------------------------------------------------------- - http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -
<snip>

What's the old joke? Call me what you want, just not late for dinner? (BTW, it's Glenn, but there are/were several so named already here, some of whom held/expressed opinions with which I did not wish to be associated...)
So I actually thought the whole thing through, and voted for this Badarik fellow. Seemed like a fairly harmless means of expressing distaste for the two major party candidates, without simply not voting. Not voting was never an option. Neither was voting for Ralph or one of the nutcases.
It's Saturday, and many of the election signs are down now, with only a few stragglers. The radio is full of whiners, and folks threatening to emigrate to Canada or New Zealand in protest, as if those two fine countries deserved them. California is a beautiful place, with diverse attitudes and cultures and industries and values. But folks here sometimes forget that people elsewhere are welcome to their opinions and religions, and they don't always have to bend their thinking to match what the coasters think they ought to believe.
It's still a republic, one blessed with wealth, power, responsibilities and great, deep problems, in a world of neighbors entitles to their opinions and religions. Not likely that we will all be singing Kumbaya any time soon....
Patriarch
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:09:39 GMT, patriarch

I figured it was either Glen or Gary, but not Glenn. ;)

I'm amazed that he got as few votes as he did. The two parties have The People wrapped up in their corrupt little fingers, wot? <mega sigh>

Yeah, most of the signs are down here, too. I think it's safe to take the neighbor's Kerry sign down. She moved out before the election. Tuesday is trash day and it'll be in there, where it belongs.

True. I just wish our fearful leader believed that and stopped POKING the millions of Muslims out there. They're going to be stopping by here shortly and laying far too many of our people to rest, ALL because our "leaders" wouldn't listen. I've been reading "Imperial Hubris" and the author studied bin Laden, stating that the man keeps his word. bL says "Don't mess with us and we won't mess with you." but Shrub still goes after the Islamic territories. They won't be bombing other places any longer. Shrub is bringing it home to us, darnit. I, for one, can't forgive that kind of arrogance and stupidity. But I've never voted for him, either. Ready for the impeachment? <grumble>

Thank God/Buddha/Allah/Higher Power for that little blessing.
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:09:07 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Since you're so willing to take UBL at his word, I'm sure you're aware that when asked what it'd take to get him to stop attacking us, he replied "when you are all dead or converted to Islam". So, if he's to be believed, us running home and cowering with our tail between our legs won't deter him. He doesn't hate us for what we've done - he wants to murder us because of who we are - infidels. I'd be a little more concerned about UBL forcing his beliefs on you rather thn GWB.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn writes:

True. But why not solve it the old-fashioned way: give each of them a straight razor and put them in a dark room, no larger than 12' x 12'. Lock the door and come back a week later.
Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:57:11 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

Unfair advantage UBL - he's used to living in dark caves.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn responds:

Well, I'm not sure that would be an advantage overall. He's also used to desert living, so he should be easy to find by smell.
Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Yeah - but it doesn't look like he's acquired any serious expertise with a razors...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Cite the source document, please. Only the Saudi interpretation of Islam is incompatible with "infidels". The rest are mellow folks. (Like most Christians aren't rabid Jesus freak fundies.)

No, Doug. That's mythology. Most Muslims, including UBM, don't hate us for who we are or what we think. They hate us for what we are -doing- in their world to their religion and their people. Note the difference. They get along fine with non-Muslim countries who aren't setting their oil prices and invading their countries to put military bases there. Pick up a copy of "Imperial Hubris". It's truly an eye-opener.
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
Larry Jaques wrote:

Earth to Larry, Osama Bin Laden _is_ Saudi, and his interpretation of Islam is loony even by their standards, which is one of the reasons that his family long since disowned him.

Who is "UBM"?

This is true. Most of them don't hate us at all. Most of them just want to be left the Hell alone, just like the rest of us.

No, they don't hate us at all. Osama Bin Laden and company are not "most Muslims" and do not speak for "most Muslims". And they don't hate the US either. They just want to spread their particular loony-tune interpretation of Islam across the world and they don't care who gets hurt while they do it.

So be kind enough to explain why Al Qaeda is blowing up Buddhist temples and killing other Muslims. What did the Buddhists do to them?
Larry, don't take this the wrong way, but you don't have a clue what you're talking about. "If you don't bother them they won't bother you" doesn't work with bullies, and that is exactly what Osama and company are.
--
--John
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com wrote:

Sound bite or not, it happened.

Given the choice, I would accept the former.

But OBL doesn't (or at least shouldn't) play a part in U.S. legislation or appointing U.S. Supreme Court justices. The religious right is just a softer version of fanatical muslims, i.e. forcing their version of spirituality/morality on everybody. My response to that is the same as above, but it will not occur while cowering with my tail between my legs (i.e. I will not accept supernatural nonsense just because people short on reason think it's best for me).
Cheers, Mike
btw: The far left are equally complicit in forcing their ideologies upon the masses, they just don't seem to have attracted as large of a following as the right.
half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote in message

Only because we exercise better control over them.
--

FF

I'm interested in when and where you got that.

Here we differ.
Even if someone shares all of my beliefs but one, I oppose forcing them on me or anyone else. There is little pratical difference and no moral difference betweenpeople who seek to force their beliefs on others.
--

FF

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 07:28:58 -0800, Larry Jaques

As a libertarian, don't you really want them *not* to do things?
That certainly is my preference for those in government.
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:55:05 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Au contraire, mon ami. We need them to FIX the gov't by UNDOING many of the laws they passed and unnecessary regulation, etc. We can save BILLIONS in the fake "war on drugs" alone. That means fewer taxes they rob from us. Repeat lebenty seben times.
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT? --------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Sin-free Website Design
"Prometheus"

Assholebreath, he is only one person, not 49% of the population. Go back to your usual activity please.