volume?

Is everyone on vacation? I read the group daily. Today there were only

9 posts! There are usually more than that on a Sunday :-).

But I guess being too busy with projects or vacations to post is a good thing :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yep, with school out, some folks may be away from home.

I've gotten behind, 2 months, maybe, with my upholstery jobs/projects, so I'm catching up. It'll be a while before I can get back into the shop, to work on and report any significant feedback for my ongoing projects.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Outside of helping my son make an oak plaque upon which to display his whitetail mount my "woodworking" the past few months has involved what Roy Underhill might call "crude woodworking." The tools include machete, ditch bank blade, brush hook and axe... I'm clearing 4/10ths of a mile of old railroad right-of-way, by myself, that will become part of a trail network. It's my personal fitness program for the season!

Currently I've got about 2/10ths of a mile cut. Later in the season a crew of volunteers will come in and chip the cuttings, mow, rake up the debris, and make drainage improvements. A few years ago there was a single track path through there that had thorns and brush sticking into the trail. An initial group effort got it about 3-4 feet wide. When I'm done it will be about 12 feet wide--ditch to ditch cleared!

There is something very satisfying about seeing the progress of my labor...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Darn! Not that I don't approve of trails, but as a RR buff and modeler I sure wish you were clearing it for a tourist train :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You're about 57 years too late on this one... the railroad was liquidated in

1957 and outside of the locomotives it was scrapped... I occasionally find an old spike, tie plate, or piece of coal, and there are some long rotting ties in places, but otherwise it's gone.

You might be interested to know that the brush hook I have is from the New York Central Railroad... they ceased to exist as NYC in 1968 when they merged with the PA Railroad (PRR) and became Penn Central... that name is gone too! When I obtained the brush hook it had no handle and there was evidence of inept sharpening on a grinder but I took care of both problems and it's a fine tool. I think there is some kind of good karma to be had by using an old railroad tool to built a rail trail... maybe not!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Also known as the "Old Woman" :-).

Reply to