Vista question

Page 1 of 3
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?
Thanks
SD
SHOPDOG wrote:

I got a low end Compaq laptop that came with Vista Basic. It had 512MB of memory wich is fine after I put XP on it, but wasa about 1.5GB short for Vista. I ended up putting Ubuntu 7.10 on it with vmware for running Windows XP. I also upgraded the memory from .5GB to 2GB from Crucial.com for about $79.
As for a news client, Thunderbird works fine under Linux and Windows (XP or Vista).
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Great quote from Robert Cringely: "Microsoft finally figured out how to get respect for one of its operating systems: release a new one that sucks harder than the last one"
/happy user of OpenSuse and amazed at how much faster it runs than Windows.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Ain't it the truth! Using vmware server under Ubuntu on my desktop with 2.5GB, I also run Fedora, Win2K, WinXP and Solaris 10 simultaneously. That combo runs faster and takes less ram than Vista, not to mention supports all my old peripherals.
Have you entered a newsgroup feed? My isp tells me what the name of teir newsgroup servers are. Once I have that I can search for groups. I happen to use Agent but the concept is the same. Windows Mail.

SHOPDOG wrote:

Tools/Accounts/Add/Newsgroup Account, then provide the appropriate information.
--John
Don't take this a gospel, but ---
I believe Vista uses Windows Live for mail but not for anything else.
If you want news you must use Outlook Express (or TB) for that function.
I have not checked to see if the MSN interface between OE and the web-based mail function in Vista is still viable.
You will probably have to DL a copy of OE or TB from the net to get the news goodies.
P D Q

ok, thanks for the replys.... I found how to acess it through the web (google groups) DUH!
It just not in my mail program anymore
Well at least I can still get it on the road
Thansk SD

Bad idea. Some people ignore postings from google gropus because of the spam.
And you can't have kill files. And it's hard to just read new articles (since last time you read them). And it's slower as a GUI.

If you use Firefox, there is an add-in called Greasemonkey that uses a script file called "Google Groups Killfile" which allows for basic killfile functionality. It basically takes the fully rendered page and hides the stuff that matches the entries in the killfine script. It's not perfect, but it works well enough for me.
-Nathan

Cool.....

Way cool!
Thanks!
--
FF

I never upgrade operating systems until the latest and greatest has been out for 6 months or so and Microsoft has come out with at least one service pack upgrade. None of their products are worth using until they have come out with at least the first round of fixes for them. 98 was worthless until 98 2nd Edition came out and XP had all kinds of quirks until XP Service Pack 1 fixed them. I'll be using XP for about another year or so before I even consider using Vista. This holds true for many other software vendors products as well. They all release their stuff before it works properly and then expect their customers to help them fix it. I'll just wait till it works and all the printer and peripheral drivers are available.
Charley
writes:

web
the spam.

"Charley" wrote in message

out
pack
I use whatever OS/OS version will run my software needs most reliably ... IMO, it's the only smart way to chose/upgrade an operating system, server or workstation, regardless of version. AAMOF, until last year I still had four DNS servers running NT4 because that was the only thing an older version of BIND, for which we wrote our custom DNS software, would reliably run on.
With MSFT these days, a service pack is mostly a collection of previously issued/pushed fixes. IME, an _individual_ can miss out on some advanced computing, particularly in the area of security, by being too rigid on when you upgrade (all bets are off if you must support a large company of servers/workstations).
A good example is Vista ... most, if not all, of the "performance and reliability fixes" had already been pushed well in advance of SP1. AAMOF, those who have installed Vista SP1 as of the last couple of days report seeing no improvements in this area whatsoever.
Just my tuppence ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

or
four
of
when
"Charley" wrote

It's
of
Don't blame you ... IIRC, SP1 "Final" for Vista was sent to manufacturing in early to mid February, but many already have it, including those SP1 beta testers for various parts of the OS. (I was involved in testing the USB "ReadyBoost" feature and had the opportunity to download the final a couple of weeks back, but didn't bother).
I'll wait until SP1 is pushed out on Windows Update, since I have no problems whatsoever with Vista at this point due to the "performance and reliability" fixes already installed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Jim Stuyck wrote:

Accessing newsgroups from Outlook requires a third-party add-on or an Exchange server set up to provide NNTP access.

--John

It may be 'slower' but it is a lot faster than I can read and write.
It is trivial to use, follows threads accross multiple groups searches back to the earliest days of UseNet, you don't have to subscribe to individual newsgroups, and you can use it on any machine with web access.
The absence of a kill file is its greatest weakness, IMHO.
--
FF

I've used Google Groups a bit, and have not been impressed. Everything's so much easier through a real newsreader. Plus, I have a kill file. (It matches regular expressions, too, so I get some practice.)
My ISP recently "switched to Google" or "Offloaded a bunch of stuff to Google so they can make more profit." One of the things to go was NNTP access. So now, I'm paying for Usenet NNTP access.
I do switch to Google Groups when I want to search for messages. One thing Google excells at is, of course, search.
Puckdropper
marching band.