Visio templates for shop layout

In the beginning ... Visio was not a MS product. I bought a version 1.0 waay back when and stopped upgrading after the Borg bought them out. Gotta admit that stencils were never all that intuitive, especially if you'd never used the real ones.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

FWIW, Intellicad (DAGS) was originally a Visio product. The fact that Microsoft spun it off to an industry consortium that was for a while providing it as freeware would tend to indicate that whatever else they're interested in, Microsoft doesn't want to do CAD. Personally I kind of wish they'd gone after it--Autodesk _needs_ a serious competitor with the resources and marketing savvy to threaten their position. And the world needs a decent hundred buck CAD program with a large enough installed base to attract third-party development.

--
--John

Damn, I feel old.... 8-(
BTW - If we're doing retro-computing, the inventor of ASCII died this week http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/24/bemer_dead_at84 / http://www.bobbemer.com/AWARD.HTM
Nice Job Harvey !!! I love Visio for its simplicity.
Rich

On 23 Jun 2004 16:07:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Harvey Chute) wrote:

Nice!
Thanks for making them available to us. I plan to use them.
Barry
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Harvey Chute) wrote in
Thanks Harvey - I have squirreled these files away until I move and start building a proper shop.

Harvey Chute wrote:

Harvey...
Thank you!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Harvey Chute wrote:

Hi Harvey,
I've tried opening both the template and the stencil in Visio 2003 and get a message saying they are not a Visio file or they are corrupted. I've tried downloading them a second time and get the same error.

Sigh! I hadn't tried yet, but now discover they were created with a newer version of Visio and my version (4.5 Professional) refuses to open them. Perhaps you are seeing the same problem.
Still a really cool idea.
Harvey, if you're reading, can you save for older versions of Visio?

Arrgh! I will look into that and see if I can save them so they're compatible with other versions! I'm running Visio2000 Standard Edition, so it surprises me that later versions wouldn't read it - - but I'll look into it and post my findings here. Thanks for letting me know. - Harvey

I don't know about the Visio install, but on many MS aps there are install options as to whether you want to include code needed to read earlier versions (and verisons created by other aps). e.g., when you install Word 2000, do you want to be able to read Word 95 or WordPerfect for DOS?
If my hunch on this is right, if you have a later v of Visio and it won't read a file, you *might* try going to add-remove programs, put the Visio CD-Rom in, (double) click on Visio in the list of already installed programs, and you'll get asked it you want to add new features... Just a thought.
Thank you, that's a good idea and one that I hadn't considered. I tried that out, and unfortunately it doesn't appear to be an install option on my Visio 2000 install CD. However, I was able to save the templates in both Visio 2000 and Visio 5 versions, which should help with some of the compatibility issues.

The updated website (http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm ) contains versions of the template and stencils for Visio 2000 and for Visio 5. Hopefully the Visio5 version will work for you in Visio 4.5..?? It may be worth a try in Visio 2003 as well - - although from some research I've done, there are numerous file compatibility issues across Visio versions. I'll keep checking into it, and in the meantime if you could let me know if those updated files work in your versions of Visio, I would much appreciate it... Thanks all, and sorry for the frustration. - Harvey

newer

Thanks for trying, but the 5.0 version does not work with 4.5. I'll do some digging at Visio in the am and will post if I come up with anything interesting.
LD
snip
Harvey Chute wrote:

Thanks Harvey. The problem I was having was on my end. I was using Netscape 4.79 when I downloaded the files. For some reason they weren't being downloaded properly. I downloaded the files again using the Internet Explorer 6 and both the Visio 2000 and Visio 5.0 files work in Visio 2003. I have no idea why Netscape was causing a download problem???
I appreciate your time and effort.
Visio 2002 Pro opens them just fine.

newer

I did some online research on making Visio stencils compatible with Visio 4.*, and it seems the product does not support making versions of files readable by Visio versions prior to Visio 5.
I contacted a Visio MVP about it, and he confirmed that. I believe the only recourse I would have would be to find and install a version of Visio 4, and recreate the stencil - - uugh.
If a better solution comes up I will let you know.
- Harvey

Thanks Harvey. I really appreciate all the effort you've put into this. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade.
LD

snip