Visio templates for shop layout

I don't know about the Visio install, but on many MS aps there are install options as to whether you want to include code needed to read earlier versions (and verisons created by other aps). e.g., when you install Word

2000, do you want to be able to read Word 95 or WordPerfect for DOS?

If my hunch on this is right, if you have a later v of Visio and it won't read a file, you *might* try going to add-remove programs, put the Visio CD-Rom in, (double) click on Visio in the list of already installed programs, and you'll get asked it you want to add new features... Just a thought.

Reply to
igor

The updated website

versions of the template and stencils for Visio 2000 and for Visio

  1. Hopefully the Visio5 version will work for you in Visio 4.5..?? It may be worth a try in Visio 2003 as well - - although from some research I've done, there are numerous file compatibility issues across Visio versions. I'll keep checking into it, and in the meantime if you could let me know if those updated files work in your versions of Visio, I would much appreciate it... Thanks all, and sorry for the frustration.

- Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Chute

Visio 2002 Pro opens them just fine.

Reply to
CW

Thank you, that's a good idea and one that I hadn't considered. I tried that out, and unfortunately it doesn't appear to be an install option on my Visio 2000 install CD. However, I was able to save the templates in both Visio 2000 and Visio 5 versions, which should help with some of the compatibility issues.

Reply to
Harvey Chute

"Harvey Chute" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks Harvey. BTW, my version is Earlier than yours, not later - 4.5.

I very much appreciate your efforts on this and sharing them with the group.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Harvey Chute" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks for trying, but the 5.0 version does not work with 4.5. I'll do some digging at Visio in the am and will post if I come up with anything interesting.

LD

snip

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Damn, I feel old.... 8-(

BTW - If we're doing retro-computing, the inventor of ASCII died this week

Andy Dingley

FWIW, Intellicad (DAGS) was originally a Visio product. The fact that Microsoft spun it off to an industry consortium that was for a while providing it as freeware would tend to indicate that whatever else they're interested in, Microsoft doesn't want to do CAD. Personally I kind of wish they'd gone after it--Autodesk _needs_ a serious competitor with the resources and marketing savvy to threaten their position. And the world needs a decent hundred buck CAD program with a large enough installed base to attract third-party development.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If it was a _real_ teletype -- using 5-bit Baudot code -- it may have been even slower than that. The _fast_ machines, ie. 60WPM ones, were about 50 baud. I don't remember what the nominal baud rate was for a 45WPM TTY. Relatively late in history came the 100WPM machines, which were nominal 75 baud. Not too long after those were deployed, ASCII began to make major inroads. It was 'logically' about the same speed -- 110 baud ASCII is equivalent to 100WPM -- but the advantages of upper/lower case, and the elimination of LTRS/FIGS shift codes was compelling.

If it was using ASCII, it was probably 110 baud. 10CPS. About the only things that ran at 150 baud were some early 'daisy-wheel' based terminals, and Selectric(TM)-typewriter based units. Selectric hardware maxed out at

150WPM (150 baud); most daisy-wheels were good to 30CPS.

I take that back, a Frieden Flex-o-writer may have been good to 150 baud. Those were _great_ fun to play with, particularly if you had the unit with *dual* paper-tape readers, including the random-access 'search' function on the second tape drive.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

You're pretty much right, but IIRC there was a 110 baud early on.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

But did the paper tape punch use ghost code? And can you still wind a "bow tie"?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We had one of those (w/o the search) as a console to a Readix computer. It used to freeze up, but if you lifted it an inch or two and dropped it, it started right back up. Considering that the computer power supply had an "X" marked on the side where we had to kick to free a stuck relay, the Flexowritr fit right in :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You got me on those.

Reply to
igor

Thanks Harvey. The problem I was having was on my end. I was using Netscape

4.79 when I downloaded the files. For some reason they weren't being downloaded properly. I downloaded the files again using the Internet Explorer 6 and both the Visio 2000 and Visio 5.0 files work in Visio 2003. I have no idea why Netscape was causing a download problem???

I appreciate your time and effort.

Nova

Jack, From the online research I've done, Visio 2000 files (including stencils and templates) should be directly readable by Visio 2003. I've had several people tell me that they *were* able to open the stencil and template in Visio 2003. Unfortunately I don't have Visio 2003 to play with it directly. Can you tell me if you're using the Professional or the Standard version of Visio? I don't know if that has anything to do with it, just looking for clues.

- Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Chute

I did some online research on making Visio stencils compatible with Visio

4.*, and it seems the product does not support making versions of files readable by Visio versions prior to Visio 5.

I contacted a Visio MVP about it, and he confirmed that. I believe the only recourse I would have would be to find and install a version of Visio 4, and recreate the stencil - - uugh.

If a better solution comes up I will let you know.

- Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Chute

"Harvey Chute" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks Harvey. I really appreciate all the effort you've put into this. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade.

LD

snip

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Plugboards....

George Shouse

a fan of the World Champion Los Angeles Lakers It must be a Purple and Gold thing. Thanks for honoring the Original Lakers
FAQs at

George Shouse

George Shouse wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Where you had to jump up and down on the wires to get the board to fit, or to get that last wire from one corner to the other?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You mean, "turbo" 75 baud... :-)

Reply to