Visio templates for shop layout

Hello all, if anyone is interested in a (free) Visio stencil for designing a woodworking shop, I have created one and posted it at

for all the design ideas from this discussion group.

- Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Chute

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Harvey Chute) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thanks for the template and the link. I'm working on a new shop plan and your template will be very useful.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

This is sooo cool. Bravo! I haven't opened it in Visio yet, but your webpage alone makes me confident it'll work great. I don't even need to do a new layout for some time but knowing this exists is an inspiration. Well done.

I've always struggled with Visio -- only got it because a consultant did flow charts with it and I wanted to be able to edit them One of the frustrations with it is that it clearly is still designed for a longstanding installed base going back to V1.0 Commands are not at all intuitive, IMO. For example: Why are they called "stencils"? IIRC, they are listed under File, not Edit. Why? Wahts' worse, IMO: If you did not know they are called stencils, see if you could find anything about such "thingies" in Help. I couldn't!!! (Of course, there is the infinitesimally small possibility that it's just me.)

Anyway, again, great job. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Nice Job Harvey !!! I love Visio for its simplicity.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

Nice!

Thanks for making them available to us. I plan to use them.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

igor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The 'Stencils' thing is because you used to be able to buy plastic stencils with cut out shapes for flowcharting, drafting, etc. Looked just like the Visio stencils, including the color. I think they still sell them in office supply places. IIRC, I saw some at Staples.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Harvey Chute) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thank you for sharing your work with us!

Cheers,

Lowell Kinzer snipped-for-privacy@acm.org

Reply to
Lowell Kinzer

Thanks Harvey - I have squirreled these files away until I move and start building a proper shop.

Reply to
Brikp

Harvey...

Thank you!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That makes sense. Just seems to me (rant) that if MS wants new customers they should consider that people may not get that connection - at least not retrospectively. FWIW. Again, great job.

Reply to
igor

I've still got some of the flowcharting templates - not only for computers but for punched card machines - and a "slide rule" for determining throughput on those old machines :-).

It's fun to notice them occasionally and reflect on how much things have changed in 50 years :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Hi Harvey,

I've tried opening both the template and the stencil in Visio

2003 and get a message saying they are not a Visio file or they are corrupted. I've tried downloading them a second time and get the same error.

Nova

My first remote terminal connected at 150 baud (or was it 75?) and the memory device was paper tape.

Reply to
igor

igor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In the beginning ... Visio was not a MS product. I bought a version 1.0 waay back when and stopped upgrading after the Borg bought them out. Gotta admit that stencils were never all that intuitive, especially if you'd never used the real ones.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

igor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You had terminals? I keyed the stuff in on the front panel!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Nova wrote in news:40DB73DB.926CBFD6 @adelphia.net:

Sigh! I hadn't tried yet, but now discover they were created with a newer version of Visio and my version (4.5 Professional) refuses to open them. Perhaps you are seeing the same problem.

Still a really cool idea.

Harvey, if you're reading, can you save for older versions of Visio?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

It was most likely 110 baud, same speed as the teletype machines.

Dave "been there, done that" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Arrgh! I will look into that and see if I can save them so they're compatible with other versions! I'm running Visio2000 Standard Edition, so it surprises me that later versions wouldn't read it - - but I'll look into it and post my findings here. Thanks for letting me know.

- Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Chute

That does sound vaguely familiar, but my recollection is that everything was a multiple of 75 -- 75, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600. So, I won't bet on it, but I'm sticking with my first answer, Regis.

Reply to
igor

Hi,

For those in need of a CAD program to use the templates look at the following write up.

IntelliCAD 2000

A complete and professional-quality CAD package compatible with Autodesk's .dwg format

IntelliCAD was originally released by Visio Corporation and was designed to be completely interchangeable with AutoCAD R14. It got close but lacks the

3D solid-modeling functions and TrueType fonts of AutoCAD R14. It proved popular, especially for those who wanted LISP. Viso surprised everyone by releasing the IntelliCAD source code. A new organisation called the IntelliCAD Technical Consortium was formed and given access to the source code. Members are free to develop commercial variations. You can also get free versions. CADopia provides the basic version of IntelliCAD 2000 as a free download. The password to unlock it is madison. The upshot is you have access to a top-notch professional CAD application for nothing, which can't be bad. This is available FREE at the PCPLUS site, a publication among the many from Future Publishing in Great Britain.

Click on the link below to download.

if the above fails to work go to this site and click on downloads and in the search box type in IntelliCAD 2000

There are many full featured applications there for the downloading.

Most Barnes & Noble Bookstores carry the PCPLUS magazine, which each month has attached 2 or more CD's or DVD's with loads of Software.

good luck to all

Jim

Reply to
oldsalt