Vise Question

I am in the process of getting everything ready to build a woodworkers bench. The current plans are for a wagon vise on the end and a leg vise. No problem there.
Here is the question, is there any reason - except the slowness of the opening and closure of the vise - I could not use a thread maker and use 1 1/2 6tpi wooden screw on the leg vise? I thought about a 1" 6tpi wooden screw on the wagon vise.
There has to be a serious problem that I am not seeing and wondered if any of you could enlighten me. The bench is going to be out of 7/4 southern red oak and I was thinking about using the same for the screws.
Thanks
Deb
Wooden vise screws were common before the 2nd half of the 19th century. You still see them at places like Williamsburg.

A second thought on your wood choice, might be worth researching if red oak was typically used "back in the day." I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that something with a tighter grain, or maybe interlocking grain, would do better.

Larry W wrote:

Larry, I will see what I can find. I have some soft maple, which cuts very well. But, for obvious reasons, I would prefer hard maple. You don't happen to have a full 2x2 of hard maple, about 42" long, in your hip pocket, do you? :-)
Thanks
Deb

No, I'm just happy to see you. :)

On Sat, 05 May 2012 15:40:50 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

I've made a couple of vises with wooden screws. I used maple - I think it holds threads a lot better than a coarse grained wood like oak.
One warning - the thread cutter I used, one like this:
<http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000792/2411/woodthreading-kit-112-x-6 - tpi.aspx>
is actually metric. A nominal 1" is actually a 25mm. Doesn't sound like much, but I had to chuck up a 1" dowel and turn it down a smidgen to make it work.
Also, I don't think 1/2" would be strong enough - I'd go with the 1".

On Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:40:50 PM UTC-7, Dr. Deb wrote:

Well, sure there is. Your screw would have 1/12 " threads sticking up, and that is a very bad short-grain situation. That can be made a little better by using triangular threads instead of square threads, but it's still 1/6" at the base. The triangular screw also wedges tight when you apply any force, and wedges worse if the shaft doesn't remain completely straight.
A steel square-thread nut/screw is superior to wood, and they're cheap. Buy. Enjoy.

You may want to consider a vise like this for your bench.
http://www.woodweb.com/galleries/shop/images/248/workbench_tail_vise.jpg
I put a similar one on my benct and love it. The dog holes give you plenty of clamping/holding options. I also put a hole in the tail section and ran a second set of holes. This gives me two rows of holes running the length of my bench.
For the hardware I just bought a screw from Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bench-Screw/H5577
----------------------------------------------------------- Get free backup service using Drop Box Access your files from your smartphone or tablet Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
On Mon, 7 May 2012 05:24:56 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

Nice!
What the hell? There's only one attachment point. How does that work? It's missing a pivot piece by the handle. See http://tinyurl.com/7o2nen9 and http://tinyurl.com/89bnvlv for reference.
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

Thanks for the correction. I did use the first one you linked to. Not even sure what you would do with that first screw I erroneously posted.
----------------------------------------------------------- Get free backup service using Drop Box Access your files from your smartphone or tablet Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
On Mon, 7 May 2012 07:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

That thing bothered me so much I called Griz this morning and talked to a nice lady in Customer Service. She neither knew what it was for nor quite how it worked, so she gave me the number for Griz T/S, who wasn't up at that hour.
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca