Virgin forest 30 miles south of Buffalo?

An article appeared in Sunday's paper about 600 acres of old growth forest being found along a six mile stretch of the Zoar Valley, about 30 miles south of Buffalo. I've been told that some of the trees are 100 to 150 foot tall. Here's a link to a web site with information:
http://www.citizenscampaign.org/campaigns/zoar.htm
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Jack, Very interesting! I don't see how 250 - 500 year old trees are virgin forrest, but very interesting all the same. Let's sharpen up the chain saws and go visit!
;) Myx

Myx writes:

Don't know much about trees, do you?
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico
How is that Bird house book coming along Charlie?

Leon asks:

Slow. Remember, I just spent 10 weeks out of the house, with NO shop at all available (it is currently full of stuff that needs to be elsewhere in the house, which may take a couple more weeks).
I'm also checking out changing from QuarkXpress to Publisher, which will slow things even more. I'd guess it will be out in time for the next breeding season, but we will put this house up for sale in a couple weeks, and then...
Everything is moving too slow except my age...
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

all
Oh yeah.,.. you had that unexpected BBQ and then got sick too IIRC.. ;~(

slow
then...
Good Luck...Keep us posted..
On 09 Sep 2003 08:50:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) pixelated:

OhmyBuddha! You're moving again so soon? Condolences, but I'm sure you're packin' a lot less than you did last time. Moving sure rids you of the packrat syndrome in a hurry.

You have GOT to be freakin' KIDDING ME! A client recently bought and sent a copy of Pub98 to me and it's even worse than I had remembered. Thank Bog she only paid $20 for it (it's not worth that) and that I'm only using it to look at her site mock-ups.
What could possibly move you to any MS product from a time-tested book-capable product and industry standard? And why not PageMaker (my old standard), InDesign, or FrameMaker?!? Although I hate Adobe, they make good products. Pub98 is absolutely horrid.
G'luck with the newer version of MSP should you make that choice. Ick!

That creeps up faster than we can perceive, dunnit?
--
Where ARE those Weapons of Mass Destruction, Mr. President?
----

Sure, 39 half-usable functions compared to 4,785 fully-usable functions. Much easier. ;)

I found QXP non-intuitive while I found PM much nicer to work with. I've also done some CAD-type work in Corel Draw when I wanted to show a church what their revised lectern would look like eons ago. I downsized it due to water damage. <--obww

I got my Adobe products cheap as a dealer but they tossed us out and refused to discount any upgrades or future purchases. Effem all! I love PageMaker and have a love/hate relationship with PhotoShop. (I haven't used a computer yet whose graphics card could entirely get along with it.)
--
Where ARE those Weapons of Mass Destruction, Mr. President?
----
On 09 Sep 2003 15:32:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

There's a thirty day trial version available for download at the Adobe website.
I've always had good luck buying older versions of software (in unopened boxes) at computer shows and then, if I like them, taking advantage of the upgrade pricing for the current version.
That's how I got Photoshop cheap and AutoCad, too.
BTW - I've used MS Publisher for years and find it to be very easy to use. I've no idea how it fits in with professional level requirements.
Regards, Tom. Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Charlie Self wrote:

Might look into what, if anything, is available as Open Source. All the other considerations on both sides of the equation aside, it sure is nice being rid of that $300+ a shot upgrade syndrome.
I know Open Office is available for Windows, but I don't know about DTP stuff on any platform. It's not something I've ever needed to do.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Ain't THAT the truth! I'm 22, but my body is 66 :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

FINALLY. Someone younger than me. So it's MY turn to say, "Boy, you don't know anything about feeling bad. Just wait until you're my age."

I think he meant that a tree that old would surely have had sex at least once
Frank
Frank Ketchum writes:

You'e probably right. And remember, silver maples do it with helicopters.
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico
Charlie,
What happened to your sense of humor? Do I really need to explain the humor of a 250-500 year old virgin? BTW- The chainsaw was to "remove" the virginity. Sort of popping a forrests cherry.
;) Myx

Jon Endres, PE wrote:

I'm a woodworker, and a treehugger. It's sort of like being Hindu and loving to eat hamburgers.
Myxylplyk wrote:

What are the natural life span of maples, hemlocks, red oaks, etc.?

I'm guilty, the thought did cross my mind.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
I ski through an area that burned in 1911 or so, and every time I pass one of those 4' + diameter black cherry trees I begin calculating board feet.
What works for me is the "fox and grapes" approach. They're probably all brown-rotted inside anyway....