Viny LP Storage bins

I'm envisioning a modular LP storage box that can be closed up for transport and then opened up and stacked as shelving for display purposes. I'd like them to be as durable as possible, but also stylish.

I've got several ideas on design, but I was wondering if anyone had any links or ideas of their own to share.

Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

From extensive experience in the 70' owning a portable disco (lights and all) I strongly suggest you not use wood. If you transporting records regularly, they just don't hold up to the abuse.

Use plastic. Much more durable. Old milk carriers were great (and free if you knew where to "borrow" them). There are several things being sold these days that would work.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

R> I'm envisioning a modular LP storage box that can be closed up for

Reply to
The Alaskan

They will be moved only when the client moves - the client is thinking more along the lines of a display case that can also transport them when they move. In other words, aesthetics are important.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Year 2005, disco still sucks. :)

Reply to
CW

What are LP's? ;)

Reply to
Eugene

One size smaller than an MP.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

One thing to remember is to keep them on the small side. It doesnt take too many LPs to get very heavy. On my last move I boxed up about

2500 of my LPs. Fortunately teenagers with strong backs are available for cheap. Possibly you could make the units about the same size as the old standard milk crate, and then after stacking modularly (is that a word?) you could use a removeable facer board trim.

Paul

Reply to
Paul in MN

DAGS on 'Thomas Jefferson' 'bookcases'. Jefferson had some bookcases that turned into storage boxes by sliding a top into a rabbet around the front of the case. He used them when he was in Paris.

rcook5

If they are not going to be carted around, then us a 4/4 material of some kind (oak, maple, or even an exotic) and keep them small. No more that n12.5 x12.5 (maybe 13 x 13). If you don't they will be way to heavy. Back in the day we made a 3 footer that almost killed us to move. Dropped it about 6 inches once and the thing just destroyed itself. LPs are HEAVY.

I would use dovetail or box joints (most likely box) and I would also put handles (or handle grips).

Good luck and have fun.

RonMan

Reply to
The Alaskan

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:46:49 -0800, the inscrutable "CW" spake:

Verily, but RAP still makes me miss DISCO.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey Larry, I missed it...what was this message about? Joe

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein