Village idiot

I don't think Larry's response was inappropriate. Your assumption of how everyone else sees the 'net was the funny part! Rarely do people completely change the header of a post, respond to it, and delete ALL the original post, then expect people to understand what was going on! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

And, of course, the correct public response to a spammer is none.

They are either looking for a response (more troolish behaviour, but still) in which case the correct response is to deny them, or they are trully spamming, in which case there's no way in hell they're going to see the outraged response and it's not only a waste of time but makes the outraged one look like an idiot.

In thiscase, given that the same spam is showing up in every newsgroup I visit, it's most certainly the latter.

The Standard Advice: Ignore, fliter.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

My ISP tries to filter out spam, and did well with this one. All I saw was the "village idiot" post! I do agree though, I wish people would just ignore spammers and trolls too. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Wait Wait Wait . . . . I want to be the "village idiot premier" That would make the the V.I.P.

Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars

I use Supernews for Usenet access, and they're superb. Most of the crap people complain about I can't see if I want to because it never makes it to their servers,

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The BobS entity posted thusly:

You just don't get it at all. There was no indication that you were responding to spam. There was no indication of who or what you were responding to.

I didn't much care who you were calling a village idiot, or why you were doing so. I did get a bit ruffled at your response to someone who also wondered, when you were clearly at fault.

I think the need for growing up is squarely on you.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

The specs for propagation of usenet news do not guarantee that the order of messages received will be the same on different servers. In fact a reading of RFC1036 implies the opposite to be much more likely. In addition different people will use different news readers to sort messages in different orders. So what seems to to be "no mistaking" for one person will very likely be ust confusing to another person.

Reply to
lwasserm

Personally, I think it's demeaning to the village idiot. Nobody wants to be likened to a spammer. Village idiots were valuable contributors to the social fabric of a community. Everyone wants to feel superior to someone, and the village idiot was the go-to guy if you wanted to feel better about your lot in life.

Nowadays we can just turn on the tube (or read newsgroups) and entertain ourselves with countless hours of village idiocy. Ain't technology grand?

RicodJour

"BobS" skrev i melding news:LCd4g.4374$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Finally.

Most newsreaders using the same usenet server you do, which comes to a fraction of one per cent of a fraction of usenet users.

Usenet is slightly bigger than Oshkosh Ne.

BjarteR

Reply to
Bjarte Runderheim

I saw that documentary. Or was it a Monty Python sketch?

It was both!

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Oleg,

I believe you're the one that doesn't get it and I'm not going to take the time to explain it to you. So thank you for your most valuable input, it was really considerate of you to take the time but not necessary - really.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

No you change the subject line therefore the thread appears to start with you. Changing the subject line was the idiocy that start this idiocy.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Larry,

Your reference to RFC1036 is correct but... and I'll quote....

"This document defines the standard format for the interchange of network News messages among USENET hosts. It updates and replaces RFC-850, reflecting version B2.11 of the News program. This memo is distributed as an RFC to make this information easily accessible to the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard. Distribution of this memo is unlimited."

Please note that it states "It does not specify an Internet standard." also and therefore is ambiguous since the RFC starts out with "Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages" - very confusing but your point is well taken. Simply said, not all newsreaders and servers will stack and rack the threads of a message in the same manner. I will never again rename a specific thread and make a post.....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Give over, Bob. You're just digging yourself deeper. De Facto v. De Jure.

Welcome to USENET, pal.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks, Greg, but I think we're all beating a dead horse. Bob is never going to admit he made a mistake. Reminds me of some current (and previous) politicians :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The BobS entity posted thusly:

Thank you.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

And I'll bet you blame everything on the stars not lining up.

What started this, was a snide remark from a supposedly fellow woodworker who obviously enjoys making comments like that to purposely provoke a response. He got one and I think he is now on the same plane as the village idiot that posted the spam.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Gotta love it. You're the one that made the snide remark - but that doesn't seem to matter.

Larry the innocent - geeesssus...

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

The only post I saw was yours where you appeared to have introduced yourself as the village idiot. Are you really proud of that? What village are you from? Do the rest of the villagers agree with you?

Reply to
CW

Holy, Moley, Guys!

I'm counting 42 posts here. More to come?

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby