Village idiot

Page 1 of 3

another village idiot
BobS wrote:

And yet you call someone else an idiot?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Maybe he is trying to introduce himself to the group. ***
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN...Step right up, I have right here before you the most amazing, the most astounding, the most interesting piece of information....A true marvel in it's own right, a magnificent guiding principle of intuitive insight and understanding....A wonder of wonders......Something that will change your life, alter your perceptions, make you question the very foundations of your education.....Something so absolutely revolutionizing that you will wonder why you hadn't thought of it yourself.....Why you'll wonder why someone hadn't thought of it sooner and presented it much like I'm doing here today......
Yes sir step lively you will most assuredly want to be in on this little gem of a secret....make sure you take note and remember it well becasue this is the big one, the one you've been waiting for, that little edge that everybody wants...................
And that is........That a fool and his money will indeed soon be parted...
Oh wait, I guess somebody did say that before.... ;-)

Rick,
Probably been around here longer than you. I don't recognize your name as a regular here. Old Larry is just feeling his oats and once in awhile his mind wanders and he feels that he has to act important and put somebody down with his worldly words of wisdom. His response earns him the 2nd village idiot award.
Bob S.

Larry,
This one is done so there is no confusing you. Did you really want me to include the spam in the reply? And if you aren't able to figure out who the response was to - then you need to go back to school. You looking for a fight - you got it Larry. I'll place you right there with him after that smart-ass reply.
Bob S.

Reply to what? You changed the subject and removed the references; there was no way to attribute your reply to the message to which you were replying.
What you should have done was prefaced your message with something to the order of
<spam deleted>
Or better yet, just ignore the spammer.
scott

Scott,
Obviously for some, my initial response did not show up directly under the spam post and they saw it possibly as a stand-alone post. My news reader shows it directly under the spam post. No mistaking who it was aimed at.
Sure seemed to get a lot of people riled up over a spam post someone else made. Must be a slow day out there.
Bob S.

Not everyone uses your newsreader. For many your post shows up as a standalone post. just FYI.

And some of us use news providers who are pretty good at filtering the spam before it even hits the groups.
Then, we get to see the folks who decide to respond to posts we've never seen (and would have ignored in any event).
As I see those folks like BobS, who don't have a clue how Usenet works and what is appropriate behaviour in reponse to spam, forgers and trolls, I give them an introduction to my killfile. It's amazing how little I miss them.

Dave,
I could care less about whether I'm in your kill-file or not. A few of you are like little old ladies fluttering over the fact that I called a spammer a village idiot. Go get a life. Ignore the posts, place me in your kill-file if that makes you feel better but for christ sakes man - grow up.

Then you do care. Of course, I couldn't care less if you do or not.
The BobS entity posted thusly:

You just don't get it at all. There was no indication that you were responding to spam. There was no indication of who or what you were responding to.

I didn't much care who you were calling a village idiot, or why you were doing so. I did get a bit ruffled at your response to someone who also wondered, when you were clearly at fault.
I think the need for growing up is squarely on you.
Oleg Lego wrote:

Personally, I think it's demeaning to the village idiot. Nobody wants to be likened to a spammer. Village idiots were valuable contributors to the social fabric of a community. Everyone wants to feel superior to someone, and the village idiot was the go-to guy if you wanted to feel better about your lot in life.
Nowadays we can just turn on the tube (or read newsgroups) and entertain ourselves with countless hours of village idiocy. Ain't technology grand?
RicodJour wrote:

I saw that documentary. Or was it a Monty Python sketch?
It was both!
er
--
email not valid

Oleg,
I believe you're the one that doesn't get it and I'm not going to take the time to explain it to you. So thank you for your most valuable input, it was really considerate of you to take the time but not necessary - really.
Bob S.

No you change the subject line therefore the thread appears to start with you. Changing the subject line was the idiocy that start this idiocy.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

And I'll bet you blame everything on the stars not lining up.
What started this, was a snide remark from a supposedly fellow woodworker who obviously enjoys making comments like that to purposely provoke a response. He got one and I think he is now on the same plane as the village idiot that posted the spam.
Bob S.
The only post I saw was yours where you appeared to have introduced yourself as the village idiot. Are you really proud of that? What village are you from? Do the rest of the villagers agree with you?

Nope
And you reacted to said snide comment.
One suggestion be a duck.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618