VIKING SEA CHEST

Not exactly the most detailed set of plans I've ever seen, but better than some. Be inspiration if nothing else. But, if you make one, make at least a dozen or so, for the crew. I posted the plans for a Viking long boat, long ago, look them up in the archives. You provide your own weapons, helmets, shields, etc.

JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T

That one looks like a coffin!

Interesting idea to include recipes.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Looks like the Mastermine (sp) tool chest

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Mon, Jan 31, 2005, 5:24am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@callsign.net (Ralph=A0E=A0Lindberg) says: Looks like the Mastermine (sp) tool chest

Similar, but I believe this is longer. Probably both made from the Viking Boy's Big Book of Woodworking.

JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T

I suspect you have no idea what I was talking about, maybe due to my poor spelling of the name

The Mastermine (sp) chest was part of a find, in a Swedish lake. It was (for all appearances) the chest this drawing is based on. Inside the chest was a collection of tools (mostly metal working). It is one of the best primary sources for both the "Norse sea chest" and tools used in the Norse period.

If I hadn't lent the book out, I could get the spelling and references down better.... I really should contact Chris and remind her that she has had to for about 2 years.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Mon, Jan 31, 2005, 7:22pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@callsign.net (Ralph=A0E=A0Lindberg) suspects: I suspect you have no idea what I was talking about, maybe due to my poor spelling of the name If I hadn't lent the book out

And I suspects that I wonder just what would make you suspect that. In my post I did say, "Similar, but I believe this is longer". I would have suspected that would have been sufficient to make you suspect I knew what you were talking about - which I did. You can check the spelling at this link. The original link I posted, at least May 2002, has beem moved to this address, but otherwise it's the same.

first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T

It might be that you only referred to -BOTH- being from the " Viking Boy's Big Book of Woodworking".

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Tue, Feb 1, 2005, 5:31am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@callsign.net (Ralph=A0E=A0Lindberg) says: It might be that you only referred to -BOTH- being from the " Viking Boy's Big Book of Woodworking".

So? Where else would they have gotten the plans for them back then?

JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T

It's a total ripoff. This is the Mastermyr chest, as reproduced at this site

've lifted the plans and pictures wholesale.

It's also _not_ a Norse "seachest" - they're slightly different.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I know that, and you know that, any bets JT will argue

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Sat, Feb 5, 2005, 6:26am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@callsign.net (Ralph=A0E=A0Lindberg) posts: =A0=A0=A0=A0I know that, and you know that, any bets JT will argue

Argue? Me? Argue? Ha! I agree it does appear to be a ripoff.

However, as far as it not being a copy of an original Norse seachest, you think they were standardized?. I don't. Unless they were all made by the same person, and that isn't realistic. Those guys were civilians, not military, so their equipment wouldn't have been standardized. Probably made to the same general design/size, because form follows function, and there's only a limited amount of space on a longship, but I don't see any reason to supect there couldn't have been an original seachest made like that one.

Me, if I made one, I probably wouldn't call it a seachest, because I wouldn't be using it on a ship.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T