VIKING AGE ROWING CHEST

http://www.earlyperiod.com/articles/viking_chest /
Damn, they could have at least used some darker lines.
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:13:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

You just need stronger glasses. :)
Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 12:40pm snipped-for-privacy@canada.com (jaime) claims: You just need stronger glasses. :)
Moot point, I'm not making any anyway. When I go pillaging, my Viking long boat is gonna have a steam engine, not oars.
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:24:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

That should cut down dramatically on the use of slaves. :)
Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 4:30pm snipped-for-privacy@canada.com (jaime) cut history classes and said: That should cut down dramatically on the use of slaves. :)
Ah, but the Vikings didn't use slaves as rowers.
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:13:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Yes I saw that earlier post. Back to the history books for me. :)

Viking ships were rowed by warriors, not slaves.
For a look at what it was like to be a Viking oarsman using one of those chests, see: http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/arnora/boreal-lay.htm
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote in

I haven't laughed quite that hard in a long time! I had happened to be reading about the Viking museum at Roskilde, Denmark this afternoon...
Patriarch, whose grandfather came from that island...
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:10:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Opps. My mistake. I'd better brush up on my history now.
Mon, Jan 31, 2005, 5:10am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com says: <snip> For a look at what it was like to be a Viking oarsman using one of those chests, see:
And this is what they sang while theiy're rowing. http://ic.net/%7Eblues/viknsong.htm
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:42:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I wonder if they sing that during Minnesota Viking games. LOL.
If not..they should. It's pretty funny.
That appears to be a Mstermyr style chest, take a look here for a better (darker :-) drawing.
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html
-Keith