Video of my DIY version of Rockler's Pock-it Hole Clamp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bTtHJLnl8

With all the talk in the other thread, I decided to throw one these together in the shop. It's obviously a very rough prototype, but it worked very well and took less than an hour to build. I also used a cam toggle clamp so it is a lot faster than tightening a knob screw.
I found that I still had to exert a lot of pressure down, as I drove in the screws, to keep the pieces from steady. I generally clamp both pieces down to the table when driving pocket hole screws, so this was something I hasn't foreseen. I suppose I could've clamped them down to the table, after clamping them together.
In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time and make it better than the Rockler version.
--

-MIKE-

...and I know the video quality is pretty crappy with the wood pieces washing out in the light. Sorry about that.
--

-MIKE-

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:38:26 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

Neat. I enjoyed the video. Versatile in many applications.
For just plain face frames, I think I'd just mount a couple of 2x4 pieces at right angles on a piece of plywood and attach hold down clamps. Of course that doesn't work for any joint not a flush corner.

Looks interesting. Sometimes you just have to go out to the shop to make something. I know. It is in our blood.
On 2/8/10 6:19 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

You're joking, right. (didn't see a smiley)
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

Oh, never mind.
<peering out my window>
On 2/8/10 9:33 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I'll just give myself a <whoosh!> on that one. :-)
--

-MIKE-

What did the cam toggle clamp cost? Was it cheap enough to make it worthwhile not to buy the $20 Rockler clamp version ?
I guess the big advantage to your home made clamp is that you can make it any size you want and you got to spend a little quality time in the shop building somethat that actually works as it should.
On 2/8/10 8:02 PM, Upscale wrote:

I don't remember what the toggle cost, because it was years ago. That particular kind is much more than the metal ones, which can be found on ebay for under 5 bucks.
I did a homemade version of that plastic toggle clamp out of oak once, but I think I recycled it. It might be time to do some more.
If you have knobs, threaded rod and t-nuts around, (like most of us do for jigs), you could whip out a cranking one, like Rockler's.

I may go all out on a couple with an adjustable pin and some other goodies.
If the Rockler's are ever 50% off, it would be silly not to buy a couple.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

--