Video Demo of 'Godzilla' the Horizontal Mortiser

For this mortiser I used a lot of design aspects from Woodgears. The main difference being the X,Y tables. Instead of drawer guides, I used polished steel shafts and sintered bronze bushings. It slides around great.
This was the most complicated jig I have ever made. It took me a little over two weeks to build.
If you’d like to build your own, you can find plans at Woodgears for sale. If you choose to use the polished steel shafts and bushings as I did, there is a CAD drawing on my website.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php
Comment welcomed.
Cheers, Brian
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/11/10 6:54 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

right on. great job
.... I much prefer video. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

Thanks Mike. I hope it stands the test of time!
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/11/10 7:15 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

It should. It's not like it's VHS. :-p
--

-MIKE-

✖

Looks nice Brian. I loved the wood handle for your mortiser.
It looked like a wheelbarrow replacement handle I had to carve as a kid on the farm. No fancy tools. My dad handed me a chunk of wood and a knife and told me to carve it. I complained that knife was dull, He told me to sharpen it. So I carved me a replacement wheelbarrow handle. Your cute little handle brings back memories.
Do you make your own tenons?
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 11, 9:21 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Yes, I make them custom for each project. I wonder if it would be worth buying the ones that are sold for the Domino?
Add pictures here
✖

WOO-HOO !!!!
What a blast -- both watching it, and seeing how smooth and functional it is.
Why do I have the feeling that -- for about thirty five bucks worth of parts, at Radio Shack -- you could remote-operate that, from your living room ?
Verrry cool !
Add pictures here
✖

Funny! I was thinking your could attach a motor to the Z-axis and add a screw drive to the Y-axis (depth of cut). You could add motors to each axis and write a program I suppose.?. :^)
Add pictures here
✖

Very cool! I'm impressed, and envious.
One suggestion: you should get a "Tool Girl", like Tim had on "Home Improvement".
-Zz
Add pictures here
✖

Is Pamela Anderson available?
Add pictures here
✖

Thank you!
It really wasn't that difficult to build But because it had a lot of parts, it took some time.

Now you're talking! :)

Add pictures here
✖

You're having fun, ain'tcha? <G> Isn't this what this all about? Those vids are getting more pro with each issue. Will you remember us when a network picks you up? Seriously, thanks for keeping us in the loop, very interesting stuff.
Keep it up!
✖

Thanks for the compliment! I needed that!
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the compliment!
Add pictures here