Veterans :

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:44:07 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Oh, a buddy of mine turned me on to "The Fall of Saigon" (an account by a French author/reporter whom I can't seem to find the name of right now...sheesh)...that, along with seeing documentation that I trusted about Tonkin, was quite the mental watershed. We had no business being involved in a Civil War...
cg

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:40:12 -0800, Charlie Groh

OK, after checking thoroughly: "Giai Phong! The Fall and Liberation of Saigon" by Tiziano Terzani (that noted *French* author...heh). Great read.
cg

Ahh.. 2 of my least favorite folks... McNamara took away or M-14's (real rifle) and gave us the Mattel M-16.. I know that the one's that my kid uses now are ok, but the early ones that we "beta-tested" got a lot of folks killed.. real POS..
Met "Westy" a few times but wasn't allowed to tell him that he couldn't use WWII tactics in Nam..
Loved Bradley's (supposed) quote when he was asked if he would continue Westmorelands's "hearts and minds" strategy.. "It's been my experience that if you grab someone by the balls, their hearts and minds follow"
Never been able to prove or disprove that quote, but ya gotta love it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote:

For years, had a framed poster on the wall that read:
"When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."
Lew

that is probably the actual quote, Lew.. Mine's filtered through 40 years of interference.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Vietnam 68,69,70 144th. avn company Ankhe
Be safe and look after your brothers
Millwright Ron www.unionmillwright.com
mac davis wrote:

Hey, McNamara was no fool. Do you think that he _wanted_ any Army that he was in charge of to have rifles that had a hope of putting a hole in him?

That is a good one. And I've been of the opinion for a while that our big mistake in Iraq was trying to win "hearts and minds" before first making it abundantly clear to _everyone_ there that their asses had been kicked. Although I'm not sure that Saddam was sane enough for be able to understand that concept.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

The problem with our stratigy in Iraq is that most people are still of an anti-Vietnam mind set.
BTW: In my opinion McNamara should be set in front of the wall and be subjected to a couple dozen marksmen.