VERY scary sharpening

Never had any success sharpening tools on stones, so for years now I have been using a belt sander held inverted in a vice.
Works great. Quick, easy and followed by a light touch up on fine grit paper, chisels and plane blades are ready to go.
Never a problem.
Until last night.
Grinding a cutting iron from an old plane that I had picked up at auction. It had been very poorly sharpened by its previous owner. Needed a considerable amount of work.
Heavy grinding = sparks. Sparks + dust inside sander = smoke. Where there's smoke, ....... there's a damn fool frantically disassembling his sander and cleaning out smouldering sawdust, hoping it won't suddenly burst into flames.
Perhaps it's time to go and buy the correct tool for the job : )

Mechanical sanding seems to be your thing? Here you go. :) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pH435&cat=1,43072
wrote in message

That's the style of thing, only this appeals more ..... :)
http://www.shearingworld.com/supershear/grinder.htm
Try holding it with the side of the vise, in an upright position, like a belt grinder?

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
DiggerOp wrote:

Yep! Buy a 1 x 42 belt sander and use it only for sharpening. Get the blue zirconia belts from Lee Valley as they are designed for sharpening metal and last a long time. This is what I've used for several years for sharpening turning tools and they require a lot of sharpening.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Yep.. I use my wife's 20 year old Foley with a 240 grit belt.. Love to have room for a 2nd one with maybe 100 grit..
I don't use it for gouges anymore, but it's always set up with a scraper jig on it.. I set the table to reverse the bevel on the scraper and run 'em through upside down.. Real nice burr that way.. YMWV
Gerald Ross schreef:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_proedge.htm http://preview.tinyurl.com/5rd5yk