Very OT - but this stuff is getting rediculous...

Swingman

Swingman

Swingman

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:06:56 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Yes, I did read it, ALL of it and I know exactly what it said. And, like I stated, up to this point, we have that one report to go on. It's very possible that report is completely accurate, but it's just as possible, in fact just as likely that there's more factual information to appear in this matter.

As several people have stated and something with which I fully agree, information reporting agencies have a very great tendency to sensationalize what they report. Neither of us have any proof to the contrary. I could be wrong, but I fully expect there's more information to come forth in this particular incident. Let's just see what appears.

I do agree with the fact that there appears to be many people and organizations reacting unreasonably with the gun controversy in America. But, what do you expect? There appears to be so many random and unreasonable acts of gun violence, the general public should be concerned. How can you expect them to act otherwise?

Reply to
none

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:l28d34$8k6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

To the best of my knowledge the following city codes apply.

City Code 38-3, primarily section (d) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm, spring-propelled rifle or pistol, from, on, across or within one hundred fifty (150) yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public land or public place within the city limits.

And

Section (f) No person shall use a pneumatic gun in the area of the city described in (a) above except (i) at approved shooting ranges or (ii) on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property. For purposes of this subsection, "pneumatic gun" means any implement designed as a gun that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic pressure, including but not limited to paintball guns. Further, for the purpose of this subsection "reasonable care" means that the pneumatic gun is discharged in a manner so the projectile is contained on the property by a backstop, earthen embankment or fence. The discharge of projectiles across or over the bounds of the property shall create the rebuttable presumption that the use of the pneumatic gun was not conducted with reasonable care and shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor.

When he shot something other than a target it was illegal.

Again, I don't condone the school becoming involved, they are completely out of their jurisdiction. The subject of the original post was dead on, it's out of control and has been for a long time. We're on the same side here I'm just pointing out what I believe to be facts.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I don't know when you guys were kids, but the murder and violent crime rate has been declining for more than 20 years.

Reply to
Larry W

An airsoft gun is neither bb or pellet. Its a plastic ball.

Reply to
woodchucker

What "advantages"?

I don't agree at all. These acts have been going on since there has been man. The difference is that now we have a press that is just as blood thirsty as those who watch them. Blood a gore sells. People are rooting for the lions.

Reply to
krw

You may disagree, but advantages to me include health improvements, communications, transportation, many, many areas of technology.

Reply to
none

There is no doubt that technical things like those - and many others - have improved. It's the social and ethical aspects that have changed to the detriment of everyone.

Reply to
dadiOH

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:19:37 -0400, "dadiOH"

Quite possibly. But, I think many would disagree with you. When I was a kid, like many others, I went through a great degree of hell from being bullied. Then when I put on some size and weight, I in turn became a bully for a period. It was a learned behaviour and one which I fully regret.

There never was any type of program or attempt to eliminate bullying when I was a kid. Now, at least there's awareness of it and an attempt to curb much of it. Much can be said for other many other social actions these days. Sure, these programs may not be working as well as could be hoped, but that doesn't mean it's a completely wasted effort.

Reply to
none

Those are technological/scientific changes, NOT sociological changes.

Reply to
krw

...and you think that has changed?

I don't consider banning dodge ball as an improvement. They're actually making things worse, if anything.

Reply to
krw

If I were black, I think I might disagree with that :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sadly, apparently most blacks do agree with that.

Reply to
krw

Your opinion.

Reply to
none

You didn't ask specifically about sociological changes did you? However, I do see how you conveniently snipped out the next paragraph where I suggested there was an increased awareness of problems which is good thing in my books.

There were and are problems that no one was attempting to handle when I was a kid. Contrary to your personal one sided opinion, many sociological changes are an improvement and that's my opinion. Granted, there's a number of refinements that could be done to those sociological changes, but that doesn't for one second mean that attempt shouldn't be made.

Reply to
none

It's changed to the point that there's a greater awareness of the need for change. That's a good starting point. The important thing is that society always needs to develop and change or it becomes stagnant. Just because it hasn't changed as nicely or conveniently as you'd like to see, doesn't for one second mean that the attempt shouldn't be made.

You're deluded and stuck in the past if you think the society you grew up in was a perfect without fault.

Reply to
none

As usual, your intentional one line replies leave out all the nuances and subtleties to the discussion at hand. Society isn't, never has been and never will be perfect. That doesn't for one second dismiss the fact that there's a greater awareness of the need for societal and sociological change. Just the fact that it's being discussed more than ever is proof of that.

Reply to
none

But shared by many

Reply to