Very OT - but this stuff is getting rediculous...

Page 2 of 5
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:14:41 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Well, as you've stated, there may be more to the story than what we've heard.
For all we know, the kid took the gun/toy/whatever to school on one or more occasions. Maybe the kid threatened to use it on someone at the school. Granted, the school might well be overstepping their grounds, but I do suspect there's a more direct connection to the school than currently reported. We'll see.
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:06:56 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Yes, I did read it, ALL of it and I know exactly what it said. And, like I stated, up to this point, we have that one report to go on. It's very possible that report is completely accurate, but it's just as possible, in fact just as likely that there's more factual information to appear in this matter.
As several people have stated and something with which I fully agree, information reporting agencies have a very great tendency to sensationalize what they report. Neither of us have any proof to the contrary. I could be wrong, but I fully expect there's more information to come forth in this particular incident. Let's just see what appears.
I do agree with the fact that there appears to be many people and organizations reacting unreasonably with the gun controversy in America. But, what do you expect? There appears to be so many random and unreasonable acts of gun violence, the general public should be concerned. How can you expect them to act otherwise?

To the best of my knowledge the following city codes apply.
City Code 38-3, primarily section (d) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm, spring-propelled rifle or pistol, from, on, across or within one hundred fifty (150) yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public land or public place within the city limits.
And
Section (f) No person shall use a pneumatic gun in the area of the city described in (a) above except (i) at approved shooting ranges or (ii) on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property. For purposes of this subsection, "pneumatic gun" means any implement designed as a gun that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic pressure, including but not limited to paintball guns. Further, for the purpose of this subsection "reasonable care" means that the pneumatic gun is discharged in a manner so the projectile is contained on the property by a backstop, earthen embankment or fence. The discharge of projectiles across or over the bounds of the property shall create the rebuttable presumption that the use of the pneumatic gun was not conducted with reasonable care and shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor.
When he shot something other than a target it was illegal.
Again, I don't condone the school becoming involved, they are completely out of their jurisdiction. The subject of the original post was dead on, it's out of control and has been for a long time. We're on the same side here I'm just pointing out what I believe to be facts.
Larry
On 9/28/2013 8:35 PM, Larry wrote:

--
Jeff

"Larry" wrote in message

You gotta watch out for infowars.com and make sure you have the full story. There was discussion of this on another forum I frequent. While I don't agree with the 9 month suspension, he broke the law. City code bans the use of BB and pellet guns within the city limit.
Again, I don't agree with suspension and am not siding with the decision, in fact I vehemently disagree with it and agree with most of what has been posted, but the use of such "toys" was clearly banned in city code.
But airsoft guns are legal. You're right, Infowars can't be trusted. Look up the real story, there is more to it. The principal was wrong in the charges though. An airsoft gun does not legally fit the definition of a firearm. The parents should sue to have that invalidated.
On 10/23/2013 11:34 PM, CW wrote:

Another tragic happening:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/24/us-usa-california-shooting-idUSBRE99N02320131024
As far as the Airsoft thing. Another unintended consequence of banning firearms ... the Japs, unable to own them, are so fixated with making them as real as possible down to every detail, make them indistinguishable from the real thing.
Now, some criminals have taken to painting the orange tip (or whatever the damned color the tips of airsoft stuff is) on real guns to fool police.
Point: damned difficult to blame the police, who want to go home to their families after work as much as we do, for doing what happened above.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Here's another one for your viewing pleasure...
http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/12-year-old-suspended-for- gun-keychain/
Larry
On Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:38:03 AM UTC-4, Mike Marlow wrote:

I don't understand how the principal even thinks for a minute that he has any jurisdiction over that child. I would take that to the school board immediately. That kid shouldn't have to wait until January to have them convene. This anti-gun stuff is getting ridiculous and Obama and Mario Cuomo are just feeding the fire. Back when I was a kid we never used knives or guns on people we were pissed off at. We used the time old tradition of beating the shit out of each other and then being best friends afterwards. Half of the problems of this world is people aren't teaching their children any morals or values. They just spit 'em out and collect the welfare check.
RP

And, that was my world growing up too. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it's not that way anymore. There's a lot of advantages in today's society, but there seems to be just as many problems with it too. Guess that's the status quo.
Various people wrote:

I don't know when you guys were kids, but the murder and violent crime rate has been declining for more than 20 years.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:11:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

What "advantages"?

I don't agree at all. These acts have been going on since there has been man. The difference is that now we have a press that is just as blood thirsty as those who watch them. Blood a gore sells. People are rooting for the lions.
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:06:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

You may disagree, but advantages to me include health improvements, communications, transportation, many, many areas of technology.

There is no doubt that technical things like those - and many others - have improved. It's the social and ethical aspects that have changed to the detriment of everyone.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Quite possibly. But, I think many would disagree with you. When I was a kid, like many others, I went through a great degree of hell from being bullied. Then when I put on some size and weight, I in turn became a bully for a period. It was a learned behaviour and one which I fully regret.
There never was any type of program or attempt to eliminate bullying when I was a kid. Now, at least there's awareness of it and an attempt to curb much of it. Much can be said for other many other social actions these days. Sure, these programs may not be working as well as could be hoped, but that doesn't mean it's a completely wasted effort.
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:31:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

...and you think that has changed?

I don't consider banning dodge ball as an improvement. They're actually making things worse, if anything.
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:26:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Your opinion.
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 05:14:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

But shared by many

In a way, I have to agree up to a point. There's a lot of screwed up things these days. But, there's also sections of my growing up that I remember as terrifying. I hated it ~ right up until I was 14 and gained 85 lbs in 11 months. Nobody picked on me after that.
Not all people outgrow the fear, whether it'd bullying *or* dodge ball. Yeah, I know what krw is going to say ~ that it's part of growing up. Well, there's a hell of a lot of really screwed up people out there and I have to wonder if the bullying *or* the dodge ball had anything to do with creating those f**ked up people?
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message wrote:

But shared by many =================================Most.
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 05:14:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Quite obviously. Just as obvious, I see you as part of the problem.