Very OT - but this stuff is getting rediculous...

Page 1 of 5

I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his nose into my business this way...
http://www.infowars.com/seventh-graders-suspended-for-nine-months-for-playing-with-toy-gun-at-home/
And, the nosy neighbor as well...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Jeez!
IMHO, what I am about to say is my view, I'm sure some one may argue but in another thread I made a comment about why I believe our society in going in the direction it is going in.
First of all, political correctness gone over board for sure.
Second, the parent of the child. The child is the parents property until he gets on the bus and goes to school, then he is the schools property. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG
Third, the child seems to be mature enough to be worried about not being able to go to college because of this incident. In so much that the teenager has the fore site to even make that comment, that comment seems to be more of a reaction of a punishing threat made to him after the fact. I'm not sure that a teenager that is not concerned about displaying a toy gun in public, especially with all the news coverage that has been going around, even has college on the radar.
Yes the student is an immature child but, IMHO, he is making comments that a more mature person would be making.
IMHO the child is the victim of a society that is more and more causing these type situations to come up. Fifty years ago this behavior by a child would have been acceptable and in most instances expected of a male child..
The parent describing her child as her property and then indicating that the child becomes the schools property is a clear indicator that the parent expects some one else, the government, to take responsibility of the child and his actions. The same parent will probably shit a brick if the child creates a disturbance in school for the same reason and dispenses punishment. Because that is a 100% probability the schools can only stay out of trouble and public scrutiny by issuing a punishment with little to no effect.
IMHO, if you expect others to be responsible for your child they should also have the authority to take appropriate measures when your child misbehaves or causes a disturbance. If you don't believe that those that have "taken responsibility" of your " property" should hold the child responsible for his or her actions and issue appropriate discipline to prevent further problems then you need to realize that "your property" is your responsibility 100% of the time. You need to be responsible for your child's actions as much as him or her.

+20

I think you may be misunderstanding her thoughts. I read it to mean, "Butt the hell out of my son's and my life unless and until he is on school property. Only then do you have any authority."

The whole bloody country is turning into a nation of wusses, worrying about trivialities.
We have hotshot lawyers fishing for class action suits over almost anything.
If some dimwit gets a scratch, they are off to the emergency room, then to a slip & fall lawyer. They view even the most trivial injury as a pass to riches.
I smoke. I don't do so around non-smokers. I resent some piss ant in a car next to me coming unglued if he/she sees me puffing a cigarette.
Lead is useful.
Asbestos is (was) useful.
Molds (some) are useful. Some are not but they aren't a death warrant.
Exactly when did common sense leave and where did it go?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 9/28/2013 12:31 PM, dadiOH wrote:

There is a 50/50 chance you are correct. But living in Houston, It seems to be a common belief that school is a place to baby sit the kids while both parents are either at work or taking time off from the kids.
A few weeks ago just north of Houston there was a school stabbing that resulted in 3 injuries and one teenager dieing. An interview with the parents and relatives indicated that the boy was a good kid that never got into trouble. Interviews with students indicated otherwise.
Parent were raising hell because the school was having an increase in violence and not doing anything about it. Could this be because their hands are tied?
Many of the parents had every right to be out raged and angry. Some of the parents are probably partially responsible for transferring ownership and responsibility of their kids to the school.

There is a lawyer for every one that does not want to accept responsibility for getting through life on their own. There is the attitude that a law suite will cure their problems. There is no longer any pride.

On 9/28/2013 1:31 PM, dadiOH wrote:

became more powerful in our society this happened. Too man with no understanding, and a very loud bark, and even a painful bite.
Alot of this is wussy like you say... and that comes from the female side of things.
--
Jeff

On 9/28/2013 3:57 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Sounds that way a little. :~) I don't think it's necessarily women becoming more powerful, mom's seemed to have a lot of power when they were manning the home front, so much as both women and men forgetting what sexual role they play in life. What used to help guide us morally 50 years ago is out the window today.
On 9/28/2013 5:15 PM, Leon wrote:

What is out about moral principals like treat everybody as you would wish to be treated. Don't covet the things of your neighbor, unless you are willing to work for it. Respect those around you.
In the liberal's efforts to remove religion form the world they have thrown the baby out with the bath water. And now they can not understand why there are large portions of our populations waiting for government hand outs while shooting and mugging each other.
On 9/28/2013 5:02 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Yeah Buddy!
On 9/28/2013 5:02 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

No problem, a few more laws watering down the Constitution with fix things right up, eh?
Arguably, the most important Amendment is the second. With that gone, there will be no way to keep the rest, and the 2A is under constant, systematic siege by the progressive, crowded, urban rats amongst us, conditioned to be anti anything that is outside their small sphere of perception.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"woodchucker" wrote in message wrote:

became more powerful in our society this happened. Too man with no understanding, and a very loud bark, and even a painful bite.
Alot of this is wussy like you say... and that comes from the female side of things. =========================================================================================I agree.

First of all, a child is NOT property of anyone but himself. Though many would have you believe he's the property of the state (as we all are). Substitute "responsibility" for "property" and perhaps there is some intelligence in there somewhere.
...but it did make her "uncomfortable". <sheesh!>

I thought my ancestor worked to solve that problem over 150 years ago when they rode south with the Union Army.
A person belong to no one. If you are a parent YOU are responsible to your children. The schools are only responsible of keeping order in school and EDUCATING the children in their class rooms. They can teach them nutrition but can not enforce nutrition.
"You are the captain of your soul the master of your fate." and as a parent it is your responsibility to teach your kid the moral frame work to make intelligent decision so he can take responsibility for his soul and his fate.
NOT the schools, the local government or the federal government.
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:53:12 -0400, Keith Nuttle

Indeed.

"responsible for". ;-)
No, the schools are responsible for the children when they are in their care. That is an obligation *to* the children and not in any way ownership. It seems that too many people have the arrow backwards.

Agreed (but it isn't the schools' job to undo that, either).

You radical, you! ;-)
wrote in message wrote:

First of all, a child is NOT property of anyone but himself. ============================================================================Someone should have told my father about that.

Perhaps there is a lesson in here somewhere.

principal for 9 months without pay. Art
"Artemus" wrote in message

that principal for 9 months without pay. Art
This story was posted by Infowars. Founded by Alex Jones, it is a conspiracy website with a (well deserved) history of making things up, or in this case, doing a bit of creative editing to stir things up.
In belched:

I hope they sue the shit out of the school district, but I'm afraid in this day of obamaland an PCness they would probably lose Sad, very sad The slope is getting more slippery everyday I feel very sad for my grand children and what they will have to live with

You gotta watch out for infowars.com and make sure you have the full story. There was discussion of this on another forum I frequent. While I don't agree with the 9 month suspension, he broke the law. City code bans the use of BB and pellet guns within the city limit.
Again, I don't agree with suspension and am not siding with the decision, in fact I vehemently disagree with it and agree with most of what has been posted, but the use of such "toys" was clearly banned in city code.
Larry

However, a seventh grader is considered underage. If anyone is responsible, it's his parents for letting him use such a toy. A kid of that age, mostly doesn't have the realization that he's breaking some obscure law.