Very nice Misson Oak table

Page 1 of 2

I saw this very nice table on eBay. I have no affiliation with the seller, I just though it was a really beautiful piece and has some unique elements. I communicated with the guy and he sent some pics of his other work, also beautiful.
I aspire to do work this nice. I have a few pieces in the hopper, just need to finish the drawers, then on to the fun part of trying some new finishes I've been working on.
I also aspire to get the prices he is getting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemD07860100&ssPageName ­ME:B:EF:US:1
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemD07860100&ssPageName ­ME:B:EF:US:1
So far he has 0 bids.....
Add pictures here
βœ–
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Unfortunately, his feedback history shows no evidence that he'll get his price. He's only sold two other, smaller and cheaper pieces recently.
Sad. The workmanship and design look great.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't think that the price is unreasonable. In fact, he'd need to build one of those in 3 days and get his material for a really cheap price in order to make it worth his while. I'm not too fond of the stain selection.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If his work is good, then the price seems reasonable. But if you can judge quality from the photos you are better than me.
A local woodworker has a shop where he sells cherry furniture for extremely reasonable prices; $800 for a large serving table with drawers for example. Sadly the wood is all mismatched, the dovetails have big gaps, etc. His work is hideous and a waste of time and cherry; I can't imagine why he even does it; as he can't make much money or get much satisfaction from it. However, I expect that photographs of it on ebay would look just fine.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why not try this one much cheaper?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-mission-oak-sofa-table-furniture_W0QQitemZ4401188660QQcategoryZ38206QQcmdZViewItem
Add pictures here
βœ–
Cheaper is a great word. Frankly, the table you linked to is now where near the same class, in my opinion. No through tenons, an ugly color and the design is just flat. The table isn't bad but not inspiring at all.
The other designs at the bottom of the listing are just clunky. He has a nightstand with a drawer. It does have through tenons but they are really bad looking. The grain on the top and the shelf is running front to back. I've never seen that and it's just weird looking. He is also proud to point out that he is using drawer slides. I really don't like crapping on other people's work because mine would provide some pretty good laughs to a lot of folks but this stuff is just amateur vs classic.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I couldn't agree more. Looks like a WalMart packaged RTA in comparison. It's an awful thin line between the tables posted... but, to me at least, a blatantly obvious one. Then again, Ford sold a lot of Granadas (in North America) because they looked European.
I can't see how he can build it for those prices.
[snip]

Agreed. Drawer slides???
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote in message

looked
The man actually has woodworking product for sale and he shows pictures of what he's selling, which is more than a casual observer of the thread can say of his critics at this point.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Walmart, made in NY? You really make me laugh!

Than again there are people or Corporation make a killing and gouging people, while others who try to make a decent honest living whithout costing you an arm or leg!
Add pictures here
βœ–

*****Looks like****** a WalMart packaged RTA in comparison.

Good! Laughter is the best medicine you know... But, having said that, what part of 'looks like' didn't you understand?

Unless he gets his wood for free, has a shop which runs on free energy, doesn't pay for sharpening, maintenance, lighting, heat, insurance.... I can't see him making a living at those prices. His stuff, to me, looks to be in a different class than the stuff I see at http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Furniture/furniture.htm or http://www.stickley.com /
When people build furniture without paying attention to grain orientation, I find it difficult to take those products seriously. But, hey, I never begrudged anybody making an honest living.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You are bias or maybe a competitive seller in Ebay. I have no relation to the website I posted earlier, except I bought genuine Klingspor's drum sandpaper from him at very cheap prices, he's very honest and gives you the choice of colors and materials. Cheap does not necessarily mean poor workmanship or ugly as you mentioned, it is the matter of preference. A man's wife maybe the most beautiful woman in the world to him, to others she might be a cheap ugly bitch and we MUST have the decency NEVER to say it in public or to ANYONE.
I will never badmouth anyone be it a multibillion Corporations, especially a one man enterprise making a clean and honest living in the US or anywhere.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I agree it is pretty low class to badmouth the guys work and I apologize to him, even though I suppose he isn't aware of the discussion. It's just frustrating. I sell on eBay and I "hope" my stuff is nicer than this guys. However, because so many folks offer these lower end items at cheap prices it makes it difficult to get what your stuff is worth.
When I see some real quality, I like seeing it. That's the type of competition I like.
In our free market I don't begrudge anyone brining stuff to market. I guess I should try to encourage better work rather than denegrating a fellow craftsman's efforts.
I am carving out markets of my own and starting to do OK. eBay is one place I can still sell. I'll typicially use it as a market of last resort once I'm willing to sell a piece at a discount and I almost always get a sale. I'd do more if it weren't for the frickin shipping, what a hassle.
BW
Add pictures here
βœ–
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

<snip>
You don't have anything to worry about.
--
[...]

Given the photo quality, it's hard to judge either. But the first one could be a very nice piece of furniture (in the flesh) and the second one clearly isn't.
Add pictures here
βœ–

<snip>
Looks like he has a few past sales. It's pretty tough to sell quality on ebay. My last batch all I sold was one small piece that was enough to cover materials and the fees on all the other listings and that was about it. The previous time was a little better. For the most part it's just cheap advertising to drive people to your website.
The previous time I had one guy ask me if I was going to relist because he got outbid, and that he wanted it cheap because he was just going to use it to make copies to sell. Right...
-Leuf
Add pictures here
βœ–
Leuf (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| On 30 Sep 2005 09:32:33 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"
| || I saw this very nice table on eBay. | <snip> || I also aspire to get the prices he is getting. | | Looks like he has a few past sales. It's pretty tough to sell | quality on ebay. My last batch all I sold was one small piece that | was enough to cover materials and the fees on all the other | listings and that was about it. The previous time was a little | better. For the most part it's just cheap advertising to drive | people to your website. | | The previous time I had one guy ask me if I was going to relist | because he got outbid, and that he wanted it cheap because he was | just going to use it to make copies to sell. Right...
It's pretty tough selling quality almost anywhere except within a local market. There would seem to be a great many who make a practice of "lifting" other people's designs in order to sell at lower prices to their local markets. When my woodworking "tools" pages had been "hit" over 200k times (with no generated sales, no thanks, and only 3 feedback e-mails), I reluctantly concluded that I might be enabling too many of the wrong folk.
βœ–

You are absolute right, and it's never easy to sell at Ebay. The best may not be cheapest and the cheapest may not be crab either. An example, I brought three identical, new, genuine, sealed and unopened laser toners in Ebay: I paid $50 each for two and the third one, I paid $22. The toner selling not less than $140 elsewhere.
Someone I know sells at Ebay, everyone (new sellers) copies the patterns, some email to enquire how to make it, while other asked for the sources of the materials and a few buys and copy exactly to sell at Ebay at 1/2 the prices.
This is FREE MARKET:-).
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:44:41 -0700, Charles Bull

Were they stolen? <G>
I've heard rumors that many, many toner and ink carts on eBay are stolen from the seller's employer. My own company has fired and charged employees for this.
Add pictures here
βœ–